Old 11-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

eh.. time and a place for both really. I dont have crazy arm speed but my high speed drivers almost assure me of that skip which comes in to play. I only carry 2 now.. teedevil and MAX. Usually both for RHFH but sometimes i'll whip them RHBH. Probably carrying 4-5 FWs... throw them a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 19 Posts

It's funny to think about this concept as I, for the first time ever, am discing up.

I'm one of the relatively rare DGers who didn't start out throwing high speed drivers (although I do recall reading the Innova brochure that came with my brother's beginner box, seeing the Boss's speed 13, and saying, "Wow I want to get me one of those). I'm a pretty deliberate person, so I did a lot of research when I first got into disc golf last summer. I started out with an Aviar and a Skeeter, and bought a Cyclone and then a Comet soon after that. I learned how to drive properly using that Cyclone, and then later the River, which taught me a ton about nose release angle. I threw Underworlds on 50%-70% of my drives from April to August, which did wonders for my sense of release angle and release height. Over that time I've gone from throwing fairways 250'-275' to 315'-325' consistently, with occasional throws 350' plus. These are not big numbers by DGCR standards, but I'm proud of them, especially considering I can only get out to the course 2-4 times a week. My consistency and sense of shot shaping has improved a lot, while still leaving much to be desired, of course.

Anyhoo, I recently grabbed an unLace. I had great success with it - broke 350' easy, and had numerous throws well above that. Unfortunately, I chucked that disc over a fence before fully adjusting to the increased distance it afforded me, and my replacement has been too understable to get a proper throw out of - it burns 95% of the time on a 7 o clock release. Frustrated at having that bump in distance lost, and not wanting to play the game of scouring unLaces to see if it was my original or the replacement that was the fluke, I've decided to truly test run high speed drivers for the first time ever. Results are very preliminary, but I had some amazing (for me) throws with a Tourney King yesterday.

Regardless of the results of this experiment, I have already seen how my time throwing nothing faster than fairways has served me well. Combined with the fact that I throw a relatively few number of molds, and have thrown even fewer at certain times in my disc golf "career," I feel I know a lot about release angle/height/etc relative to my level of experience and ability level. I know what it looks like to get a River flying at speed, so I can tell when my max weight Lace isn't.

At the same time, now that I've learned these things to a degree I feel comfortable and confident with, my hunch is that a high speed driver will find its way into my bag permanently. The extra bump in distance will be worth it at times, and my technique is solidified enough that it won't get me into bad habits. Having thrown fairways exclusively for a year and a half, I know the trade offs in accuracy I'll be making if I reach for said distance driver, and while I'll need experience to learn when to use what, I think I'll be smart and prudent enough to use distance drivers in a way that only helps my game.

Just some random thoughts that seemed at least halfway appropriate; as I said, this subject has been on my mind recently, as it's been just these last few days that I've decided to try discing up. Excuse the book.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 113 Times in 67 Posts

I've seriously considered it. But I play in a lot of wind, and I can't get away from my boss, D1, and Nuke OS in those conditions. I have been getting good distance out of my D3, but every once in a while I throw my saint just as far. So I definitely think I could perform well with slower discs. But I don't have anything stable enough in low speed to handle severe winds.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 67 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
I've seriously considered it. But I play in a lot of wind, and I can't get away from my boss, D1, and Nuke OS in those conditions. I have been getting good distance out of my D3, but every once in a while I throw my saint just as far. So I definitely think I could perform well with slower discs. But I don't have anything stable enough in low speed to handle severe winds.
Get a XxX or a Firebird.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
It's funny to think about this concept as I, for the first time ever, am discing up.

Just some random thoughts that seemed at least halfway appropriate; as I said, this subject has been on my mind recently, as it's been just these last few days that I've decided to try discing up. Excuse the book.
I started the way you did and after about two years, I recently added Destroyers to the bag. I get 375' to 400' consistently on controlled golf lines. Sure, I could wait until I'm hitting 400' with Teebirds, but I don't want to. Starting with speed appropriate discs really helped, and it's true that every once in a while I can get an OLF out as far as the Destroyers, but I'm not as consistent at long ranges with them. I think it's just as important to learn high speed drivers as it is fairways, mids, and putters.

Of course it's important to know what a true disc flight looks like, and to have good form, but otherwise I'm having fun and getting the opportunity to putt for 2 on holes I could never reach before. I unapologetically throw my Destroyers, even though I'm apparently not hitting the distances required by DGCRs collective wisdom. Putting for two on a 420' hole, which I could never do before, feels pretty damn good.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 61
Niced 16 Times in 14 Posts

My issue wasn't exactly with disc speed. Just like most players, I started out with 10-13 speed discs, but I disced down to 9 and below a long time ago. I just kept buying new discs when the ones I had didn't click for me. This kept me from cleaning up my form. I just went to forehand if I wasn't comfortable with a shot because my flick is pretty deadly, and kept buying new discs and shelving the old ones. This winter I've cut down to only the discs in my sig, and I won't throw anything else. I have a ton of discs collecting dust til spring, but I'm going to learn these discs inside and out before I throw anything other than these select molds.

It's just a coincidence that this is also a full disc down to speed 6 and below.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 130
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

Warp speed drivers have their place in almost any bag on a windy day. Throwing into a strong wind provides the perfect opportunity to "get your disc up to speed". That's why this old man carries them. Just about everyone in north and west Texas does. I'm pretty sure they're in just about everyone's bag in the plains.

I could see why a player that can't get 250 feet of distance wouldn't need one, since a Banshee or Trident would work for them.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 149
Niced 57 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
I started the way you did and after about two years, I recently added Destroyers to the bag. I get 375' to 400' consistently on controlled golf lines. Sure, I could wait until I'm hitting 400' with Teebirds, but I don't want to. Starting with speed appropriate discs really helped, and it's true that every once in a while I can get an OLF out as far as the Destroyers, but I'm not as consistent at long ranges with them. I think it's just as important to learn high speed drivers as it is fairways, mids, and putters.
That's basically where I'm at now.

The bolded is an apt point. I can already tell that working with distance drivers will teach me some things about release height and visualizing longer lines. I've gotten pretty consistent with the low to the ground, laser forward flight of fairways; it'll be fun to learn to through the high, wide lines of distance drivers.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 32
Niced 388 Times in 239 Posts

I tell people that are starting out to not use anything faster than a fairway driver for the first year of play. I think that is solid advice. As an advanced player, I only use two high speed drivers, and they are absolutely necessary for my game. It is true that my Flash (longest flying disc) doesn't go a crazy amount farther than my Stalker, but the wide rim of the high speed discs just fits my FH game so well that I could never consider "discing down".

Old 11-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

I actually remcommend not using any drivers at all for sime time. Just mids and putters. That did help me more than anything...