Old 07-31-2021, 11:16 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 68 Times in 24 Posts
Default Not really asking for bag suggestions!

Been looking at a few different websites for disc information. I feel like I am learning a ton I did not know before about discs and my personal technique. What are your favorite ways to choose discs fror play?

Are there any particular websites you prefer to use to pick a disc or do you just learn the basics of what the numbers mean and choose discs based on that?

Trying to dial a few things in...thanks in advance for your help all.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2021, 09:20 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 691 Times in 350 Posts

A lot of this depends on your personal preferences, your disc buying budget, and what local resources you have available to you.

Flight numbers only give you a sense of the tendency of the mold, but they aren't ever going to capture the full characteristics of a particular disc. The plastic type and the particular run of the disc are both going to effect flight characteristics even though the flight numbers won't change. As discs wear they get less stable as well. The flight numbers aren't consistent between manufacturers either.

If you have a local disc store, that's going to be a great resource. If you get involved with the local disc golf scene, you can get opportunities to actually throw discs and see how they perform in your hands.

Infinite discs is a pretty decent online store that will show you flight charts on a disc that will give you a vague idea of how a disc will fly for different arms. But its important to keep in mind that a new baseline platic disc may be more overstable than a premium plastic disc, but will rapidly wear in to be much less stable.

Did you have any more specific questions?

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:31 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 40 Times in 23 Posts

Inbounds inflight guide will give you a good idea how a mold will fly on a flat release with proper power. Like Rastnav mentioned infinitediscs is a good resource to research a lot of different molds.

I bought most of my discs from Disc Golf Center but have also used 1010discs, OTB and Marshall Street.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,900 Times in 1,235 Posts

Well pretty much figure out your speed (rating) first. If you are under 300' stick to speed 7/8 and lower. Personally I use lighter discs nothing over 169g unless it's a putter or a mid. Find discs that you find comfortable in the hand, with the exception of the Comet.

You must throw the Comet so get over it, 174g or less to start.

Joe's universal flight chart is handy, the reviews/testimonials on infinite are handy. Speed is the most important number, then weight, then glide. Turn and fade are speculative and may vary by a point or two no matter what it says. 5 5 0 1 could be 5 5 -1 0 or 5 5 1 2.

Look for discs that are dual use FH and BH, if you find a mold you like at say 165g if you need something more stable back it up with a 170g. Many tried and true molds have their infamy for a reason. If you are rebuilding your bag figure out which molds are the "core bag" that you can't live without, build around that.

My core bag is Envy, Comet, Relay and the Volt is an up and comer. The rest are gap fillers and an optional max distance driver like the Wave... but if I'm shaky it's always back to E,C,R.

I guess if you let us know what you are trying to dial in we can help.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,900 Times in 1,235 Posts

Hey I saw your bag thread elsewhere, might want to conglomerate that...

You could use a Comet and a lighter (165) (star?) Roadrunner. What other hole are you trying to fill?

Old 08-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 68 Times in 24 Posts

Thanks all. I appreciatet the comments on the discs. I am going to look into the specific discs and weights suggested as well. I do have a local shop that I am buying all my discs from now. I will be asking them for assistance in my disc selection in the future. I have picked up a few discs based on a suggestion from another player I met through an online group who I was able to go out and throw with.

You are all awesome offering up your opinions on my posts. It is so cool to be in a sport where everyone is willing to share their knowledge in a non-judgemental way. Thank you for that. You all rock!