Old 08-01-2021, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 661 Times in 315 Posts
Default Reciprocating my dingle all over the place

I’ve been trying to work out all the bad habits in my backhand and like a lot of us, was struggling to feel the brace when out practicing. Drills in the videos simulate the feeling of certain things but piecing it all into an actual throw is where it gets tricky.

The focus lately has been on footwork, and more specifically staying balanced and being more compact. The other night the reciprocating dingle arm was clicking, especially focusing on getting the heels off the ground and onto my toes when rocking back and forth.

Today I decided to go out to the field and seriously sat there rocking back and forth dingle style with disc in hand. I’d let it swing a couple times until I felt I was maximizing the momentum of the swing then would grip down real tight on the disc and let it rip.

Massive difference in feel. I was finally feeling what I should’ve been all along.

Discs were ripping out of the hand. Only problem I ran into was spraying them left and right, but I think that was more due to using a more downward swing with the throwing arm hanging more down so the disc arc was different than how it would be on an actual throw. I tinkered a bit with changing the swing and eventually got more consistent with hitting a good release point.

Now that I’ve got the feeling it’s time to integrate more into it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 661 Times in 315 Posts

Thinking a bit more about this, I know everybody’s a-ha lightbulb moment will be different because we all learn different.

But seriously, for anybody who has done any of the drills (aka read those threads but not actually done the movements…internet distance equivalent lololololol) that should be the very first one anybody does.

The problem is for anybody looking to clean up their form there are varying degrees of minor tweaks depending on where you are in the spectrum. You start reading and soon fall deep into the rabbit hole, and next thing you know you’re thinking about doing way too many things right and overriding thousands of throws worth of incorrect muscle memory.

That’s extremely difficult to do…

Reciprocating dingle arm basically has a bunch of the other techniques built into it, and the magic to that particular video is it explains exactly none of them, which in my opinion is a good thing. I’m not sure sure where that one falls within SW’s chronological order of videos…maybe others came later explaining individual pieces?

It’s awesome because at face value it’s all about feel. You can sit there and do the drill with nothing in your hand…so can be done anywhere. Add a hammer or something weighted to get a better feeling of momentum shift…no talk of lateral or rotational movements…just swing and feel it…and the beauty is after a couple of swings you can dial in the feeling really quick.

The other piece to this particular drill is you can actually use it out in the field. Put a disc in your hand, do the drill, let it rip and actually feel the difference. This one isn’t about replicating a feeling, you can actually put the drill to work with a disc and not worry about how it actually incorporates into your throw.

TLDR: reciprocating dingle arm absolutely needs to be the first stop in any form clean up. Stupid simple, easy to feel brace and acceleration…not having to unthink poor form, and because it’s simple…easy to see immediate results if you put a disc in your hand.

The important thing is you get the correct feel really quick and aren’t venturing into the rabbit hole of confusion. Feel it first, then nerd out about it later…

PS now that I think about it some more it’s really just a great analogy for how to correctly do a legged drill?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 247
Niced 5,934 Times in 3,474 Posts

Thanks, it's pretty high on my list, and also kind of integrated into several other vids.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328