Old 07-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 53 Times in 20 Posts
Default Nose Down Tips

I was doing some field work yesterday and noticed too many of my backhand throws coming out nose up a bit (some more than a bit). I have been fine tuning some things (weight shift, nose over toes, etc) and have been gaining better accuracy and control and added a bit of distance but I seemed to have lost a bit off my nose angle control on some throws. I try to always angle my wrist in the "hand-shaking" or "pouring coffee" style, but obviously I am not doing enough or doing it consistently. Either way it is nice to hear some updated tips (have perused the threads here but figured there would be more to add).

Looking for some tips that really helped you lock in a nose down release. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:38 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Same issues for me, i have noticed that it has alot to do with reachback vs release height and weight on the wrong foot. Had a good session yesterday tried to reach back low like waistline and pull through upper belly, it felt easier to keep the shoulders more squared and keep wrist down but you still need to have the weight on the plant foot. It also felt kinda powerful aswell, not sure tho if you loose power by not pulling through nipple line maybe someone with more expertise can answer that
Old 07-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 182 Times in 125 Posts

For me, the #1 thing that has helped me in my disc golf journey with nose up releases or nose up trajectories has been keeping the x-step in my runup as small as possible.

A lot of people do their walkup very evenly spaced, like this: da da da da

Where it should be like this... da dada da

If that makes any sense.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 470 Times in 206 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=137985

Niced: (2)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:41 AM

Niced 60 Times in 20 Posts

From my observations, most people with bad nose-up issues are collapsing their shoulder (aka "rounding", aka "hugging yourself") and throwing off their back foot. Attempts to treat the symptom ("nose up") don't work if these core issues aren't addressed first.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 777 Times in 426 Posts

I find that the majority of my backhand throw issues (including nose angle) are due to poor foot work. If I can get my feet place correctly, everything else seems to go smoothly. My grip and arm/wrist angle are easy to set....but the footwork....that's harder.

Look at this way, your grip and arm/wrist angle are set at the start and really should never change. But the footwork....that is 'constantly moving'. I stand facing forward, my first step needs to be short with my lead foot (right) angled left, then a short X step, then a bit longer plant step. If any of those steps are off (too long, too short, wrong place on the line), my throw is off.

I've found the best way to get my footwork correct is to stand at the front of the lie, do my walk backwards, look where I want the disc to go, then look down to where I want my plant foot to end at and start my walk-up. If I can do that and hit all my foot placements correctly, the throw goes where I want it to. Mess up one part of that and it's over.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 8
Niced 291 Times in 195 Posts

I press down a bit more with the thumb to keep the nose down.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

I recommend recording your throw, especially from the side.

I had not done so in a while and was mortified to see I had developed a high, low, high swoop that resulted in some ugly nose up throws.

Feel ain't real.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 13
Niced 947 Times in 547 Posts

This video contains a little bit about throwing ‘pour coffee’ (Ezra) versus throwing ‘supinate’ (Ricky). Neither are wrong.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

I like Josh's teaching style and videos. I think he is very good at diagnosing and focusing on root causes of form issues and not all the symptoms, which is helping me diagnose my own issues.

I have been/tried to be a pour the coffee thrower for 30 plus years and have recently tried supinating to help with nose down.

The good - I think it leads to less arm tension, which is helping me get away from strong arming.

I think it helps to show when my timing is off. When my shoulders open early, the disc rips out after the ideal hit point, my hand has supinated too much, and I torque the disc over.

The bad - I think OAT is easier to come by.