Old 08-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 792 Times in 294 Posts

The International Olympic Committee has officially announced it will add Breakdancing to the Games under the name Breaking.

Breakdancing..."LET'S GO!!!"
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,330 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
What???

My point was that I doubted if skateboarding, trampoline, sport climbing, etc. were "widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries..." as the Olympic Charter requires, yet disc golf doesn't meet that standard.
I meant "in the requisite number of countries"
Old 08-01-2021, 06:15 PM
Size Queen

Niced 379 Times in 261 Posts

No one watches the Olympics anymore, they are down 59% from 9 years ago.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:06 PM

Courses Played: 19
Niced 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Primarily because there's a huge difference between 2kg with zero glide (1kg for women), and 170g with lots of glide. Throwing that kind of mass for distance requires harnessing power very differently than DG.
Eagle demonstrates what happens if you throw a 2000g golf disc like a golf disc:
Old 08-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Best have Peacock or whatever they're doing nowadays.

You can't just pull up the events you want to watch anytime, they are doing specific time replays. It's really annoying and everything should be done like:

Sport -> Discipline/Distance -> Qualifiying Heats / Finals

Make it nice and easy and let people watch it when they want once it happens
Old 08-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 559 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Our own pros can’t consistently call footfaults and we are talking Olympics? LOL!
Basketball refs ignore more travel calls in a minute of play than foot faults over a year of competition. I think we are fine.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 200 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
You can't just pull up the events you want to watch anytime, they are doing specific time replays. It's really annoying and everything should be done like:

Sport -> Discipline/Distance -> Qualifiying Heats / Finals

Make it nice and easy and let people watch it when they want once it happens
The NBC sports app lets you watch any event that's already been recorded for the entire olympics any time you want.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 104
Niced 409 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
This would be great for the "growing the sport" people. Professional disc golf would become local to billions of new players, rather than something played by folks in a relatively few countries that don't speak their language.
Badminton, by participation, is the second most popular sport in the world behind soccer - estimated at over 2 billion participants. It is an olympic sport, but that status doesn't seem to help it much in the U.S. Despite it's immense popularity, it didn't get into the Olympics until 1992 when an estimated 1.1 billion people watched the finals. I'm not saying that it's the best analogy to disc golf, but following its example we have a few billion people to recruit before participation will merit it's inclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
If disc golf ever did grow to have a big market, the landscape that currently exists in manufacturing and retailing would change significantly. Most production would be moved outside of the USA and EU to reduce costs. Major retailers would drive lots of local shops out of business. No current disc golf manufacturer or retailer would be safe.
Of course it depends on what you mean by "big" (it's arguably big now), but I doubt it would drive disc production away from the U.S. As an example, most golf balls used in the U.S. are still manufactured in the U.S. And, like golf, much of our equipment is already manufactured in Asia.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 77 Times in 35 Posts

Not a huge fan of ever more sports in the Olympics, especially of sports that already have their own well established leagues either in main areas or internationally (soccer).

For example, look at the medal table for Basketball:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket...dal_table_(men)

The US men's won 15/19 golds in that and only 3 other countries got top spot the 4 other times since 1936. Because of how Basketball market works, this likely won't change anytime soon and is quite a useless sport in the Olympics that takes up far too much mindshare and money.

If anything, they need to cut down back to the classic sports like Decathlon and the like. The reasoning is several fold:
  • Everytime a new Olympics is held, they "need" to build a mega complex and that almost never pays back for the local area despite all the hype and is actually a drain on resources. (I would actually be fine if they simply held this in Greece every time.)
  • Building all this subsequently underused crap is bad for the environment and for no reason. Environmental impact is a reason I play Disc Golf and not ball golf (a ridiculous waste of water).
  • Diluting the Olympics takes the focus away from athletes in the core sports, where it's their only time to shine. For example, do we really need to see American basketballers dominate another event outside the NBA? Pointless. Even though Disc Golf is not as popular, the same thing will happen.

About the only good thing that comes out of it is these countries get a new brand DG course in an area there was likely few or none. But there are other ways to accomplish that.

I also think the Olympics in general is a ****ty organization, but that's another discussion.

Niced: (3)

Old 08-07-2021, 12:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,880 Times in 1,225 Posts

I support a rant!!