Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,085 Times in 1,245 Posts
Default Types of Volunteers

So here is a thread to vent about - or compliment your local volunteer base. After running a disc golf club and doing tourney's for several years I have observed several types of volunteers/non-volunteers out there. Most of this are the non-volunteers - and I think you'll see what I mean with that weird term...

"We Should" - This individual has a profusion of suggestions for all things disc golf from course improvements, league tweaks, etc. But with each suggestion they insert the phrase "we should" which of course means the person in charge should immediately jump all over the "suggestion." The best way to deal with "we should" is with each suggestion respond with, "Great idea - can you make that happen?"

I volunteer...Someone else - These individuals like to volunteer others. Usually goes along the line of, "Hey I bet so-and-so would be willing to do ______" Communication is typically poor and the recipient of said volunteer task usually get's kinda pissed off.

Ghost Volunteer - Enthusiastically says they'll be at every course clean up day, offers to help run tourneys but when it comes time to do the work they disappear because they forgot, overslept, need to water their houseplants, whatever...

Whiner -Similar to the "We Shoud" but whines about everything. Offers nothing. These people need to be slapped.

Busy Bee -These types have no time to help with anything whatsoever but are similar to the "we should" offering all sorts of suggestions. But of course while they have no time to do some simple task they have all sorts of time to drive all over creation playing a vast assortment of disc golf courses.

Now onto something positive...

"May I?" -There's a fella in our club who is constantly seeing little things that need to be done around the course. Asks if he can fix the issue and then follows through with a great solution. I wish there were ten more people like him.

Complimenter -Not only do these people volunteer to help but make a real point of complimenting the work of others.

Ole reliable -If they say they're going to be there for three hours to volunteer by golly they are there for three hours. They show up with enthusiasm and are honest about when they can and cannot show up.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2021, 10:39 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 281
Niced 954 Times in 380 Posts

Niced: (2)
Old 08-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 53 Times in 20 Posts

I hear ya. The whole "too busy" thing is always weak. Just admit it wasn't high enough on your priority list. Everybody is "busy" and has their own lives, but I bet that person who was too busy had time to surf the net, scroll facebook for hours, shop for things they don't need, take a nap, watch the big game, etc, etc, etc. It is about time management. If we really wanted to do something and found it important, we would make time for it. Yes things come up and life happens, but those people who are just too busy to get things done typically are really just poor managers of their time.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:06 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 352
Niced 7,266 Times in 2,960 Posts

May I be a we should?

Old 08-01-2021, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 35
Niced 40 Times in 21 Posts

"We should hold a big tournament, where all the top pros come".....OK, well are you going to run it?? "Well no....someone else should. Im just saying we should"

Old 08-01-2021, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 1,237 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
May I be a we should?
Great idea. Can you make that happen?

Old 08-01-2021, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 1,237 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
"We should hold a big tournament, where all the top pros come".....OK, well are you going to run it?? "Well no....someone else should. Im just saying we should"
Are you flashing back to 2015?
Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 85
Niced 792 Times in 294 Posts

When someone says "We should" at least there is a possibility that they will get involved.
What I love is the "someone should" people. They make suggestions and/or criticisms with absolutely no intent of helping with anything. (there are a whole lot of these people out there)

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2021, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 128
Niced 9 Times in 3 Posts

I like having this forum to vent on. I try hard in the real world to stay positive and not worry about those that don't help.
I've learned as I get older that it really is 10% of people who truly work hard and keep it going for the other 90%. Disc is that, and many jobsites are no different.
Sometimes I feel like a sucker for being the 10% guy, but at the same time I can't shut it off, so what are you going to do? Recognition is always nice, but I do get a personal satisfaction after pouring a new teepad, or clearing a new fairway.
There is something kind of fun about working anonymously, and then listening to peoples real thoughts about things. I've had to bite my tongue listening to people sh!t on work I had done on a course. And listened while people praised the effort put in.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:32 PM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 45 Times in 24 Posts
Default You forgot one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So here is a thread to vent about - or compliment your local volunteer base. After running a disc golf club and doing tourney's for several years I have observed several types of volunteers/non-volunteers out there.
The "Why Can't Everybody Be As Dedicated As Me" guy.

I'm not picking on you, but it's true.

I've been in about half a dozen organizations from service clubs, to a volunteer fire department, to chess clubs, and political organizations. Heck you can throw family reunions in there too.

There are those who will work and those that will let them.

If you are a worker part of the buy in is understanding that most of the other members/players won't be.

I have always consoled myself by thinking "Well they probably volunteer in some other organization" so it all comes out even on a cosmic basis.

By the way, in the disc golf world I am a worthless drone.