Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
You're right. You won it fair and square.

You also won the right to have your name dragged through the mud. For people to speak ill about you. For people to come up with by-laws bc some a-hole cares more about, literally #1, than the group that put the event on, every week. Congratulation on your win. Can't wait to never play with you.
Maybe if the group is upset they need to keep discs on hand to give out as participation trophies/players packs. Challenging for tags is ridiculous, the only people who ever complain about it are people who wouldn't legitimately be #1 anyway, they think because league is convenient in terms of schedule for them they should be able to manipulate the rules to be #1 when there are local pros who could easily beat them. The very small club I used to buy into every year started this when they can't even get 10 people to show up weekly, haven't bought a tag since. Not everyone has to eat, sleep, breathe disc golf, that mentality turns a lot of casuals away from weeklies and tournaments.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 82
Niced 110 Times in 71 Posts

^^^ Agree with most of this. That's why I don't play leagues or have a tag. Instead, I run doubles for cash only. We payout and it doesn't matter where you're from. We generate between 15-30 everytime, no muss no fuss.

If you do play for tags, follow some tag etiquette. Same thing as being invited to someone's party you don't know by a friend. Don't show up and become the wasted jerk.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 82
Niced 110 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Stopped reading after this.
And once again, you proved my point.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 22
Niced 290 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
If you do play for tags, follow some tag etiquette. Same thing as being invited to someone's party you don't know by a friend. Don't show up and become the wasted jerk.
Yes.

The title of the thread is etiquette. It is about etiquette, which is a nice way of saying "informal rules on not being a dick".

Yes you earned a #1 tag ... ONCE. The whole F-ing point of tags is to have something to play for regularly all year long. It would be like an NHL player getting his turn with the Stanly Cup and saying ... I won this its mine get another.

Etiquette FFS. Its like holding the door for an old lady. Sure you opened the door for yourself, you got there first you earned the right to go through and have every right to let the door slam in grandmas face. But doing that is rude and dickish. Some people don't have a problem being a dick and that is unfortunate. Many others realize Tag rounds are supposed to be a fun way to make regular rounds competitive and give people something to brag or shoot for... week after week. Its unfortunate so many places need to institute formal anti-Dbag rules for something so simple. But I guess I have seen signs on trains that have to remind people to let passengers off the train before you try and step on, so I shoudn't be so surprised.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Yes.

The title of the thread is etiquette. It is about etiquette, which is a nice way of saying "informal rules on not being a dick".

Yes you earned a #1 tag ... ONCE. The whole F-ing point of tags is to have something to play for regularly all year long. It would be like an NHL player getting his turn with the Stanly Cup and saying ... I won this its mine get another.

Etiquette FFS. Its like holding the door for an old lady. Sure you opened the door for yourself, you got there first you earned the right to go through and have every right to let the door slam in grandmas face. But doing that is rude and dickish. Some people don't have a problem being a dick and that is unfortunate. Many others realize Tag rounds are supposed to be a fun way to make regular rounds competitive and give people something to brag or shoot for... week after week. Its unfortunate so many places need to institute formal anti-Dbag rules for something so simple. But I guess I have seen signs on trains that have to remind people to let passengers off the train before you try and step on, so I shoudn't be so surprised.
Your post gave me an idea....

Lesgue directors can have a "#1 D-Bag tag" and give it to the drive bys if they so happen to defeat the actual #1. Ah, the fun that will arise when the dbag learns of their non-status haha
Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 100
Niced 26 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
I would love to get some thoughts on the following scenario....

Mike is traveling out of state and while on the road he plays in a club's weekly bag tag challenge. He purchases one of the club's tags and ends up shooting a hot round and wins the clubs #1 tag. When the league director hands Mike the #1 tag, he asks Mike if he will be back for next week's tag challenge. Mike states that he is leaving the area the next day and will not be returning to the area. The league director then asks Mike if he would leave the #1 tag and take a different # so it could be in play for future weekly challenges.

What should Mike do in this situation?
This has happened to me before....I won the #3 tag the day I signed up at a course a few hours up the road from me. The club gave me a 00 tag rather than a number.

If I do get another tag from that club I'm going to tell them I live nearby, otherwise WTH did I play/pay for? If the club is worried about some random guy swooping up the #1 tag they prolly shouldn't let non-locals play.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
A couple of the tag leagues I play in now have gone to electronic tag assignment. DGS usually, around here. We all get generic tags without numbers and enter play and tag switches into a league page.
I have no idea how this would work, and when I googled it all it hit was your post in this thread. Can you give more detail on how this works? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
If I do get another tag from that club I'm going to tell them I live nearby, otherwise WTH did I play/pay for? If the club is worried about some random guy swooping up the #1 tag they prolly shouldn't let non-locals play.
The local club here has refused to sell tags to non-locals, and that pissed people off. We had people who went to college here and were members of the club; they graduated and moved then they couldn't have a tag. It was dumb. Tags are supposed to be a fun extra. Once they start pissing a lot of people off, they have become more hassle than they are worth.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 100
Niced 26 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The local club here has refused to sell tags to non-locals, and that pissed people off. We had people who went to college here and were members of the club; they graduated and moved then they couldn't have a tag. It was dumb. Tags are supposed to be a fun extra. Once they start pissing a lot of people off, they have become more hassle than they are worth.
Tags should be fun....You're right about that for sure.

It's super fun to pay for a tag....take the top spot....and then get some 00 tag in place of the number earned.