Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
The same definition is in the PDGA tobacco policy
This isn't a definition of the round, it's defines the period of the prohibition. Once again, the smallest kernel of common sense would make threads like this unnecessary. Do you really need the rulebook to tell you when your round is over? Do you really need legislative permission to transport yourself to the tee?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 534 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnipseed View Post
This isn't a definition of the round, it's defines the period of the prohibition. Once again, the smallest kernel of common sense would make threads like this unnecessary. Do you really need the rulebook to tell you when your round is over? Do you really need legislative permission to transport yourself to the tee?
If the penalty is a possible DQ, then yes.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
If the penalty is a possible DQ, then yes.
Sweet holy monkey meat...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 227 Times in 136 Posts

I'll admit to not knowing that rule, and I don't play PDGA events, since I'm not competitive, I ride my recumbent trike cart during weekly doubles and fun things similar. The locals are familiar with my disability and know I would most likely not be able to complete a round without it.

I'm assuming it's not legal since the rule says walk, but I do have to wonder how if there would be any bend to the rule, beings it's still human powered.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,461 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Sweet holy monkey meat...
Hi, I see you're new here. Here's a pamphlet that'll get you up to speed on all things DGCR. We're in the rules section so you'll want to go to the section on semantics and pedantry.

Welcome!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,433 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
This isn't a definition of the round, it's defines the period of the prohibition. Once again, the smallest kernel of common sense would make threads like this unnecessary.
The existence of codified rules to govern things since the dawn of human civilization seems to contradict the notion that common sense has ever sufficed.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:08 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
The existence of codified rules to govern things since the dawn of human civilization seems to contradict the notion that common sense has ever sufficed.
It's perplexing that people are so willing to relinquish intellectual self-sufficiency in even the most elementary of matters. Do rules have a place and purpose? No one denies that they do. Is the function of rules to replace the need for basic thought? Apparently, for some of you.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.8
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,778 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
...Is the function of rules to replace the need for basic thought?...
Yes, precisely. Never completely, but as much as practical. Rules are pre-packaged thinking.

They are good for two things:

1. So we don't have to stand around and discuss from scratch how to act in every situation.

2. So everyone is doing the same thing in every situation -which is the only fair way to compete.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:31 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,433 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
It's perplexing that people are so willing to relinquish intellectual self-sufficiency in even the most elementary of matters. Do rules have a place and purpose? No one denies that they do. Is the function of rules to replace the need for basic thought? Apparently, for some of you.
I don't much appreciate you quoting me and then soapboxing some half-veiled insults. It's unkind.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Yes, precisely. Never completely, but as much as practical. Rules are pre-packaged thinking.

They are good for two things:

1. So we don't have to stand around and discuss from scratch how to act in every situation.

2. So everyone is doing the same thing in every situation -which is the only fair way to compete.
Do we need rules for every situation in life? Does it take a lot of head-scratching to decide whether or not it's ok to ride across the park to tee 11?

I realize that neither this forum nor the disc golf course are the natural habitats of intellect, but some things we can all figure out all by ourselves.

As for your two purposes of the rules, 1 is often counteracted by arguments over the existence of, wording of, or proper application of rules. Rules do not simplify what principles are adequate to contain, quite the opposite. 2 is idealistic and unrealistic. There is no such thing as an equal playing field. However, most people have a remarkably well-functioning sense of justice. The people who ignore or violate it for their own advantage are known as *******s, and will be such within and without the rules. The rest of us don't need to go to talmudic lengths to be satisfied with the fairness of competition.