Old 09-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 323 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
More numbers than anyone should want. The columns are sortable:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Sweden's overall per capita testing is less than half the U.S.'s, and ranks them 57th among nations.

Sweden's outcomes have been horrible compared to their immediate neighbors, the other Scandinavian countries, which are most geographically and demographically similar.
I'm not going to explain the importance of positivity rate, or the dishonesty in dismissing any comparison between countries because of different testing levels, because I think you know. But here are some recent numbers:

Sweden 1.2%
US 6.7%
Spain 11.8%
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,173 Times in 2,015 Posts

....and while I'm perusing those numbers, I see that the U.S. has now passed Italy in per capita deaths, overall. Should catch United Kingdom this week, Spain not long thereafter, and stand at #2 among advanced nations. I knew we could do it if we tried, and boy, we've tried hard.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 310 Times in 148 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
I'm not going to explain the importance of positivity rate, or the dishonesty in dismissing any comparison between countries because of different testing levels, because I think you know. But here are some recent numbers:

Sweden 1.2%
US 6.7%
Spain 11.8%
Maybe you can ‘splain’ what you believe is Sweden’s success and more importantly why they are successful?

They are nowhere near herd immunity. If they are doing nothing to prevent the spread and yet having equal or better outcome than others who are more proactive, then the numbers are questionable.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 915
Niced 169 Times in 80 Posts

Successful? 'Cause they got the meatballs yo!
Old 09-12-2020, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,330 Times in 882 Posts

I was reading up on Sweden...

"But I think perhaps the most important reason for the case numbers going down in the summer is that Sweden closes down on June 20 and it opens up on Aug. 20. It’s a natural social distancing, which you do not see in Canada or in the United States. What I would say to the rest of the world is: please, one thing that we learned with this pandemic in the last number of months is that we can steer the virus."
Old 09-12-2020, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,579 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
i must say it's funny that people have so much faith that "COVID" is real and and a serious problem when they haven't experienced any evidence of it in real life.
lol...hey...I know you! yah...you're that guy! The guy spouting off bs about the virus and then himself or a loved one ends up in the hospital fighting for their life. I've met you a few times on facebook. I didn't know you played disc golf.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Banned

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
lol...hey...I know you! yah...you're that guy! The guy spouting off bs about the virus and then himself or a loved one ends up in the hospital fighting for their life. I've met you a few times on facebook. I didn't know you played disc golf.
no i dont think were facebook friends. if your wacko situation happened it wouldn't because of "the coronavirus."
Old 09-12-2020, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,157 Times in 969 Posts

Stay thirsty, my friend!

Niced: (2)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 323 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Maybe you can ‘splain’ what you believe is Sweden’s success and more importantly why they are successful?

They are nowhere near herd immunity. If they are doing nothing to prevent the spread and yet having equal or better outcome than others who are more proactive, then the numbers are questionable.
It's sustainable. It's becoming increasingly clear that the hard lockdown method doesn't work. Much of europe is experiencing a severe second wave. Just look at what is happening in spain and france now: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54137319. They're in excess of 10,000 new cases a day, this is equivalent on a per capita basis to 50-60,000 in the US, they're approaching our peak and may surpass it. All of this after they had a pretty severe initial surge.

And for anyone who thinks the issue of non-compliance to health recommendations is a uniquely American problem, I recommend you turn of the tour de france tomorrow and watch the spectators briefly.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,138 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
It's sustainable. It's becoming increasingly clear that the hard lockdown method doesn't work. Much of europe is experiencing a severe second wave. Just look at what is happening in spain and france now: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54137319. They're in excess of 10,000 new cases a day, this is equivalent on a per capita basis to 50-60,000 in the US, they're approaching our peak and may surpass it. All of this after they had a pretty severe initial surge.

And for anyone who thinks the issue of non-compliance to health recommendations is a uniquely American problem, I recommend you turn of the tour de france tomorrow and watch the spectators briefly.
While I appreciate your opinion, I would need to see the data on this claim. A gleaned example to support such a sweeping proclamation doesn't really convince me.

I guess I am saying we have no idea if this works, outside of the pragmatic device of simply keeping people away from one another. Without substantiation, it seems irresponsible to not lockdown.