Old 09-14-2020, 01:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 322 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
It's sustainable. It's becoming increasingly clear that the hard lockdown method doesn't work. Much of europe is experiencing a severe second wave. Just look at what is happening in spain and france now: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54137319. They're in excess of 10,000 new cases a day, this is equivalent on a per capita basis to 50-60,000 in the US, they're approaching our peak and may surpass it. All of this after they had a pretty severe initial surge.

And for anyone who thinks the issue of non-compliance to health recommendations is a uniquely American problem, I recommend you turn of the tour de france tomorrow and watch the spectators briefly.
I thought we were discussing Sweden?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 608 Times in 314 Posts

I thought the whole "hard lockdown" was to slow the spread to not overwhelm hospitals. That way we can treat the ppl that have a difficult time with this virus accordingly.

Its not a attempt to STOP it from spreading, that wont happen. We just dont want to lose a sh@t ton of lives just because ppl couldnt get the treatment they need.

Wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing hands are a great way to slow the spread....of any virus...not just covid 19.

Why did we grow up with the saying "wash your hands before dinner"?

How many times have you seen someone with the common cold say "i think im getting sick, better stay away from me"? (I saw that on a regular basis growing up.)

When surgeons are performing a medical operation....what may i ask is on their face? Why are they wearing that?

For some unbelievable reason ppl cant quite seem to comprehend basic logic,critical thinking, and life experiences without their "rights" or "politics" or "conspiracy" clouding their judgement.

I agree we shouldnt live in constant fear but why cant we have a reasonable opening of america WHILE continuing to be vigilant. It doesnt have to be one or the other. It wont be "normal" for a while, lets deal with it like adults...not throw fits like children.

Plus, if g.o.t. taught us anything...

"Winter is coming"

Last edited by Emoney; 09-14-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,645 Times in 2,031 Posts

^ One of the most rational posts I've seen on this subject.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,156 Times in 1,467 Posts

My nephew just tested positive. He is 24 and could not be a healthier kid, hiker, rock climber, golfer..... Started have loss of taste and smell and taste, developed a cough and then started having trouble breathing. He then went to urgent care and got tested. I just talked to him. He is hanging in there, but is telling me he has never been so sick.

He is a stupid kid....as we all were. States he is careful, only a few handful of "very close friends" hang out in the house he shares with two buddies. "Rarely" eats out at restaurants and wears a mask.

Of course, he is in no danger.....he's not old...right?.......right?

Old 09-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 890 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
My nephew just tested positive. He is 24 and could not be a healthier kid, hiker, rock climber, golfer..... Started have loss of taste and smell and taste, developed a cough and then started having trouble breathing. He then went to urgent care and got tested. I just talked to him. He is hanging in there, but is telling me he has never been so sick.

He is a stupid kid....as we all were. States he is careful, only a few handful of "very close friends" hang out in the house he shares with two buddies. "Rarely" eats out at restaurants and wears a mask.

Of course, he is in no danger.....he's not old...right?.......right?
Ugh, sorry to hear. Best wishes to your nephew for a speedy recovery.

Any COVID deniers, feel free to weigh in.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,193 Times in 2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear. Best wishes to your nephew for a speedy recovery.

Any COVID deniers, feel free to weigh in.
Please don't invite them. It's bad enough that they keep inviting themselves, everywhere the topic is discussed.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,156 Times in 1,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I thought the whole "hard lockdown" was to slow the spread to not overwhelm hospitals. That way we can treat the ppl that have a difficult time with this virus accordingly.

Its not a attempt to STOP it from spreading, that wont happen. We just dont want to lose a sh@t ton of lives just because ppl couldnt get the treatment they need.

Wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing hands are a great way to slow the spread....of any virus...not just covid 19.

Why did we grow up with the saying "wash your hands before dinner"?

How many times have you seen someone with the common cold say "i think im getting sick, better stay away from me"? (I saw that on a regular basis growing up.)

When surgeons are performing a medical operation....what may i ask is on their face? Why are they wearing that?

For some unbelievable reason ppl cant quite seem to comprehend basic logic,critical thinking, and life experiences without their "rights" or "politics" or "conspiracy" clouding their judgement.

I agree we shouldnt live in constant fear but why cant we have a reasonable opening of america WHILE continuing to be vigilant. It doesnt have to be one or the other. It wont be "normal" for a while, lets deal with it like adults...not throw fits like children.

Plus, if g.o.t. taught us anything...

"Winter is coming"
Nice post. While this article is certainly not science, it does speak to the use of common sense. Asymptomatic carriers and transmission are the hallmarks of a lockdown strategy.

As more data becomes available it seems to keep suggesting that countries will have to make an economy vs lives decision.

https://news.yahoo.com/maitre-d-temp...115655441.html

Niced: (1)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,193 Times in 2,020 Posts

I'm not quite sure what "hard lockdown" means. China lockdown? Italy lockdown? United States original lockdown? United States, today?

Does "social distancing" mean 6' apart in line.....or close the bars and nightclubs?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,331 Times in 883 Posts

I'm not sure either haha.. We had a hard lockdown that worked well.. Gave us time to evaluate who was infected, probably a bunch of asymptomatics cleared up before spreading it in the 3 or 4 weeks off. Now we have been able to open the gates and try to deal with new infections through contact tracing etc.

If we hadn't locked down we would have seen "now" (500 cases a day) in Canada back in March.. That's a solid 5 month delay so I wouldn't call it ineffective at all. It slowed it down when we needed it to the most. Now we roll the dice and take our chances with schools and work and hope we can keep it around the 1 percent positive rate.

Some pubs are still open, nightclubs and banquet halls closed again due to superspread events... and stupid younger folks over the summer but really if the nightclubs open, why shouldn't they go there?

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 09-14-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,584 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Huh?