Old 09-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 207 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol. Most extended care facilities have a few services offered. One is long term care, often they have a rehab component and sometimes have a hospice area.
Yeah. If I were making the argument presented, I would have taken care to not use the "long term" in my description.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,113 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
You don't think if the entire population embraced the idea of "we are in this together", took precautions seriously, we couldn't have beat it by now? It's spreading like it is because a good part of our population doesn't give a $hit. Maybe you are right though. We can't really know for sure. I certainly agree that even if it wasn't gone, the damages could have been SIGNIFICANTLY less.
No, it's a highly infectious and fairly lethal virus. There's no way to keep it from slipping through cracks and still doing some damage.

But the rest of your point is true. It shouldn't be nearly this bad, by this time. We should be well on our way back to normal, with certain ongoing precautions.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,449 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
No, it's a highly infectious and fairly lethal virus. There's no way to keep it from slipping through cracks and still doing some damage.

But the rest of your point is true. It shouldn't be nearly this bad, by this time. We should be well on our way back to normal, with certain ongoing precautions.
Yes. Descendants of the 1918 flu (A H1N1) are still with us, but have morphed into just another seasonal flu. Current flu vaccines and antivirals are expected to be protective against it.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 300 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Some of the people in these facilities would have likely died, without COVID, within a prescribed time period. But, the fact would remain, the death was most certainly caused by the virus.
I'm not arguing that the death wasn't caused by covid or shouldn't be classified that way, I agree 100% that it was. I'm just saying there is a difference between an 80 year old in poor health with a couple years left and a healthy 30 year old dying. It should and needs to be considered in policy and responses. There is a real cost to the restrictions. It's known that general health and longevity in our country is directly tied to social and economic well being. We already have a lot of disparity in our country. These restrictions are only making it worse. People, especially the all ready disadvantaged, are being economically hurt. Kids aren't getting educated which is going to have long term consequences on their future economic mobility. At some point you have to consider these factors and look for a better way to the protect those at risk, that doesn't hurt everyone else.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Lol. Most extended care facilities have a few services offered. One is long term care, often they have a rehab component and sometimes have a hospice area.
That's true but who are the ones that are dying, I haven't seen any data. Is it indiscriminate, or is it the clients who are already nearing the end of their long term service?

Old 09-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Yes. Descendants of the 1918 flu (A H1N1) are still with us, but have morphed into just another seasonal flu. Current flu vaccines and antivirals are expected to be protective against it.
In that vain here's a pretty in depth and interesting article on what is being discovered regarding T-Cells:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
You don't think if the entire population embraced the idea of "we are in this together", took precautions seriously, we couldn't have beat it by now? It's spreading like it is because a good part of our population doesn't give a $hit. Maybe you are right though. We can't really know for sure. I certainly agree that even if it wasn't gone, the damages could have been SIGNIFICANTLY less.
That's debatable. There are a lot of countries that have had a more unified response, whether because of the quality of their political leaders, structure of their government, or what have you, that are suffering just as bad as the US in terms of death rates, economic damage, etc.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Carolina Crusher's Magic Man

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts
Default Very True!

Quote:
You statement about a good part of our population not caring.... I have to 100% agree with you. The older generation (boomers) are the most at risk, yet when I "have to go off" (get food) the boomers are 80% of the customers in the store. Out of that percentage only around 40% have masks (mask required) The store legal can do nothing, and the older people seem to not care. I am in no way stating that all younger people wear mask or social distance, however their chances of dying from this is not as grim. I also live in a fairly country area, where brains are not as present as needed (love my town, but in the land of the blind, the 1 eyed man is king).... So I just call is the Boomer Remover!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,113 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
That's debatable. There are a lot of countries that have had a more unified response, whether because of the quality of their political leaders, structure of their government, or what have you, that are suffering just as bad as the US in terms of death rates, economic damage, etc.
Among advanced countries, a handful were hit earlier and harder than the U.S., and built up a huge lead in per capita death rates. I believe we've caught up in per capita deaths since the beginning, at least with the G7 nations. (Where you draw the line on "advanced" is subjective; we still trail Belgium by a good bit).

But....their damage was early. If you compare per capita deaths or other numbers since, say, July 1, the U.S. is doing immensely worse than the rest of the G7, the rest of Europe, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand....

Of course, that's slicing numbers, but to my view, that reflects our ongoing response, compared to everyone else. We had an advantage, due to it's later arrival here and, perhaps, our more dispersed population. We've lost that advantage.

Niced: (3)

Old 09-24-2020, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,129 Times in 960 Posts

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-ca...m_content=1100