Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 264 Times in 123 Posts

It is unfortunate that COVID has become politicized globally.

Per Worldometer, China has virtually eliminated the virus. I know they went to extreme lockdown, but I find the numbers hard to believe.

Same for many countries. I think the numbers are potentially wildly inaccurate in many cases.

Traditionally I think the post op on this type of event is done by surveying blood samples of large populations years later. I’m not sure COVID 19 will leave a trail like that though.

If that is the case then there will always be room for (legitimate) debate over the proper response, with no real conclusive answer. This will embolden those that argue over reaction.

With no tangible evidence, the anti-vax crowd has gained substantial support. This one at least has an actual gap to argue from.

Tough times for science when pseudoscience is given equal time and credibility.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,306 Times in 871 Posts

With countries like Italy they got caught by "surprise" and were well into deaths and heavy infection rates before they had a chance to do anything. New York was in the same boat.... But they got it under control and moved on to "stalling" measures to ease infection rates, learn and prevent.

There's been 6 months to learn more about the virus, transmission, treatment etc... even though up here we are "record" numbers of infection in Canada I'm a lot more at ease than 6 months ago because I understand it better. It's not going away anytime soon and it's going to get worse, we are just hoping we can keep the lid on it so it doesn't boil over out of control.

Over 1000 health care workers have died because of CoVid.. They are likely not elderly (80+).. Canada is below 9500 deaths.. There's some "mask/covid" fatigue but a recent survey showed 87% of us think wearing a mask is our civic duty. ( not an infringement on rights)

Edit.. I like that they used Brown on that map, that way you can track the **** storm. Or which states are going to poop.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 09-24-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,243 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
. There's some "mask/covid" fatigue but a recent survey showed 87% of us think wearing a mask is our civic duty. ( not an infringement on rights)
That is some that you absolutely WOULD NOT see here in the States. And it's sad.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Birdie Member

One additional comment--I live in a deep red (Republican) area just west of DFW. Just this week I've noticed significantly more people going without masks.

Initially people resisted, then they did it but didn't want to...now people are choosing not to wear in larger numbers. And you notice the direction Texas is going in number of cases.

I was walking in to a store a couple of weeks ago as a 20 something kid was walking out. I was putting on my masks and he said, "you don't have to do that any more". I just said "thanks" and put my mask on and went about my business.

Masks are still a mandate in Texas as far as I know, but it's being treated as voluntary by the public it seems. My family wears masks when we go to stores. I do not wear a mask on the DG course.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
One additional comment--I live in a deep red (Republican) area just west of DFW. Just this week I've noticed significantly more people going without masks.

Initially people resisted, then they did it but didn't want to...now people are choosing not to wear in larger numbers. And you notice the direction Texas is going in number of cases.

I was walking in to a store a couple of weeks ago as a 20 something kid was walking out. I was putting on my masks and he said, "you don't have to do that any more". I just said "thanks" and put my mask on and went about my business.

Masks are still a mandate in Texas as far as I know, but it's being treated as voluntary by the public it seems. My family wears masks when we go to stores. I do not wear a mask on the DG course.
Wisconsin is that way too. It's being treated as voluntary, and really, it might as well be. There's no way for any place to enforce it safely. Most places around here even have postings on their doors saying masks "strongly recommended". Not "mandatory".
Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,537 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWayneHester View Post
he older generation (boomers) are the most at risk, yet when I "have to go off" (get food) the boomers are 80% of the customers in the store. Out of that percentage only around 40% have masks (mask required)
Where I live (DFW) it's the total opposite. All of the old dudes (like me) are wearing masks and the young adults are the ones who are not too happy about wearing them. Luckily...at the major walmarts they can't even get in the store without a mask, but they still congregate in groups outside without wearing masks. Crazy how the parking lots have become the "cool" place to hang out now days. lol..

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,036 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
I'm not arguing that the death wasn't caused by covid or shouldn't be classified that way, I agree 100% that it was. I'm just saying there is a difference between an 80 year old in poor health with a couple years left and a healthy 30 year old dying. It should and needs to be considered in policy and responses. There is a real cost to the restrictions. It's known that general health and longevity in our country is directly tied to social and economic well being. We already have a lot of disparity in our country. These restrictions are only making it worse. People, especially the all ready disadvantaged, are being economically hurt. Kids aren't getting educated which is going to have long term consequences on their future economic mobility. At some point you have to consider these factors and look for a better way to the protect those at risk, that doesn't hurt everyone else.
In the extended care facility I was at, they were all dying. I don't have the capacity to determine that old people dying is "more" OK, than younger people dying. I don't grade life in that manner. As I sat and made phone calls to families, telling them their loved one has passed away, I could not detect much, in the way of comfort, knowing the deceased was old.

I can tell you that my pain was often exacerbated by knowing that the generation, you advocate as expendable, was the very population that gave me so much. So much liberty, freedom....I know few 30 y/o's that contribute much to my society or quality of life.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

I can tell you that my pain was often exacerbated by knowing that the generation, you advocate as expendable, was the very population that gave me so much. So much liberty, freedom....I know few 30 y/o's that contribute much to my society or quality of life.
This. A million times over. Some of the most important people of my entire life are of that generation. I certainly don't feel them expendable. Nobody should be thought of that way.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Where I live (DFW) it's the total opposite. All of the old dudes (like me) are wearing masks and the young adults are the ones who are not too happy about wearing them. Luckily...at the major walmarts they can't even get in the store without a mask, but they still congregate in groups outside without wearing masks. Crazy how the parking lots have become the "cool" place to hang out now days. lol..
in Parker County (Weatherford) you would think the order was rescinded. Hudson Oaks Wally World has re-opened both major entrances and no longer has people at the door mandating masks.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 264
Niced 281 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
in Parker County (Weatherford) you would think the order was rescinded. Hudson Oaks Wally World has re-opened both major entrances and no longer has people at the door mandating masks.
I have noticed this at the Wally World near me as well. Most places I have been to have signs saying that masks are required (Governor extended the requirement another 60 days, sure to be challenged in court), most people (age does not really matter as far as I can tell) are complying from what I see.