Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 43 Posts
Default What do you throw for drivers?

I'm looking to try the Discraft/ DGA lineup more. I already throw Discraft for my mids and want to try some of their drivers.

To give you an idea I throw Saint Pros, Saints/ Escapes/ TBs, and Leos/ Fury's. I also want to add a true OS driver. I throw my drivers 325-350'. I wouldn't be against going a little faster, but obviously don't need warp speed stuff. Mold minimization is always a good thing.

Any feedback on how your molds of choice wears in and changes flight would be great.

So what do/ would you throw if you were going all Discraft/ DGA?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

True OS: Predator. Very predictable
As for a main driver that can also reduce molds, look at avengers in various weights/plastics or surges. I cycle both of them and it works well. Since they are similar speeds, find which ine you are most comfortable with. Go throw!

Edit: i throw about 360 and the crank is wonderful, though a bit understable. Might be good for you, especially with an ESP/Z mix
Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,128 Times in 758 Posts

my old DC bag staples were: force, crush, flash and XL.

Wildcat, Predator, AvengerSS, Cyclone and XS are also good slower molds.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 01-25-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,168 Times in 608 Posts

The only Discraft drivers I have are an ESP Surge and a Glow Nuke. They're both OK, nothing special.

I like DGA better than Discraft even though they are essentially the same thing (kinda like how Millenium is essentially Innova). I would most definitely reccommend a Tsunami as a mid-speed overstable driver, or a Hurricane as a higher speed one (12 maybe - I don't remember)

My favorite DGA discs that I own are the Squall and the Rogue. The Squall is a very straight, dependable, low-speed fairway driver. I use it on a ton of short drives in the 250-275 range, and even use it alot on long approaches. The Rogue is probably like a 10 speed or so, more understable than a Tsunami, but if you don't rip it as hard as you can, it has a dendable fade. Use it most often on long down-hill shots - just bomb it out there and let it S.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 131
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sticky Feet View Post
i throw about 360 and the crank is wonderful, though a bit understable. Might be good for you, especially with an ESP/Z mix
Yup, the esp Crank is my farthest flying disc in my bag. ...and the only Discraft driver I carry right now.
The Predator is a great os driver too. I learned thumbers with that one.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 632
Niced 2,684 Times in 1,512 Posts

stalker is a great fairway. i bag 4 of them. one ti for overstable since its really beefys. then glow z stalker for slightly os. z stalker for straight. beat z for understable. i swear by my stalkers.

i too, throw all discraft mids. and fairways. but i havent gotten into their drivers much. with the new innova sidewinder having the slanted rim i think im done throwing those. probably going to switch to an avenger ss.

like others said pred for super os. otherwise i have no experience with discraft drivers. i too am interested in this thread. i do throw fb, pd, saint, and sw right now for distance drivers
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Pred and Tsunami are on my radar for OS drivers. Probably give the Pred a try.

Work horse driver is my main concern for this experiment. I like something with good HSS but not a crazy amount of fade. I know that the Surge and Avenger are well received. Advantages of one over the other?

I've thrown a Squall a couple times, but it was light and didn't have the HSS I want. Was kinda like a Leo for me. I think I can cover what it does with my Comet/ Buzzz combo.

Stalkers intrigue me. How do they compare to the likes of a Saint/ Escape?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stalkers are fairly neutral. Also forgiving, they were my workhorse till i found the crank. Avenger starts out a bit more stable than the surge, but beats in nicely, though if you got a Z avenger and a Z avenger ss, you should be set. Surges are great for cycling as I have a New D surge thats OS, and a beat X Surge that can be a tailwind bomber or turnover disc. Surge is a bit faster.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crank: for Max Distance
Surge: Great Control Driver and Go to Driver
Predator: Very Predictable, Overstable Duty
XL: In the Woods Workhorse, Straight and Anhyzer shots

Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Do Avengers and Surges wear in differently? Ex: does one loose HSS first and the other LSS? What's better for cycling, in the wind, etc? Plastic flight differences?