Old 12-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

GL ballista was my favorite long distance driver until I recently acquired a seasoned snow line - wow what a bomber..... How does the new snow lines compare to a fresh GL?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2019, 01:18 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
Regarding Opto-X, wouldn't that overlap with their popular new mold Ballista Pro?
That's perfectly fine with me. The Pro doesn't feel quite as comfortable in my hand as the Ballista does. Ballista Pro stability in a Ballista would be perfect max D driver for me. It's not a big deal, I can get used to the Pro but just a preference.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 811 Times in 492 Posts

I'm also curious about the current run of Snowline Ballistas. The Moonshine Ballista that I picked up about 6 weeks ago has become a vital part of my bag. It's a controllable bomber for me...I measured a flat ground throw at 390 today, which for me is an absolute crush.

Would a current run of the Snowline Ballista act as a headwind version of the disc? I know the obvious answer is "try a Ballista Pro", but I'm not really wanting to add another mold to the bag right now.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 162 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I'm also curious about the current run of Snowline Ballistas. The Moonshine Ballista that I picked up about 6 weeks ago has become a vital part of my bag. It's a controllable bomber for me...I measured a flat ground throw at 390 today, which for me is an absolute crush.

Would a current run of the Snowline Ballista act as a headwind version of the disc? I know the obvious answer is "try a Ballista Pro", but I'm not really wanting to add another mold to the bag right now.
390' is impressive for just over a year playing. At that kind of power, you'll most likely want a mold designed to handle headwinds
Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
390' is impressive for just over a year playing. At that kind of power, you'll most likely want a mold designed to handle headwinds
I don't normally throw 390'. I knew that throw was a bomb, hence why I actually went to the effort to measure it. My normal max distance is closer to 350' and there are plenty of days I can't even hit that. I've got a World that right now is my "throw into a hurricane headwind" driver because in calm conditions I struggle to get my World past 300'.

Since I'm falling in love with the Ballista, I really just wanted to know if the current Snowline will provide a bit of extra stability compared to Moonshine while still basically being a Ballista. I'm by no means a bag minimalist, but when a mold works it makes me want to dabble in other plastics rather than in other molds.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 950 Times in 733 Posts

Try an opto sparkle (metal flake) Ballista. That plastic is excellent and tends to fly a hair beefier than others. At your power level that disc should fly fine without flipping or being too inconsistent.

I throw Ballistas well over 400' consistently and love them. They can get a little erratic at times, but they're worth it. Not a headwind disc at all though.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Well my search for an Opto Sparkle Ballista has come up with nothing. And I'm getting more leery of buying a Snowline Ballista, since I really don't want to fall in love with a disc/plastic combo that is going OOP. I plan on heading to the local shop this weekend and picking up a GL Ballista, an Opto Ballista Pro, and a TP World. I hope to eventually settle on either:

A) cycle Ballista Pros and Ballistas, OR
B) cycle Worlds and Ballistas

I'm digging my current Moonshine World so option B is more enticing, but all the talk of Worlds being super inconsistent has me nervous that I won't be able to find Worlds in my expected/desired stability. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether Ballista Pros will have the necessary stability to be a true headwind fighter for me. So if I cycle Ballista Pros I may still need to bag a third mold, which would sort of defeat the purpose.

Anybody with experience in all three molds have thoughts?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Look for a Ballista with some dome to it. I have a couple really flat ones and they don't seem to glide as well. My best Ballista is a 169g opto with a good dome. Absolutely bombs and isn't super flippy.

I'd probably skip the World if I were you. Super inconsistent. I've had beefy ones and really flippy ones. A flippy World isn't as long as a Ballista either. They don't glide as well.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Hmmm, maybe I'll grab an Opto-x Ballista Pro rather than another World. That might give me as much stability as I need for headwinds. I do absolutely love the regular Ballista in calm winds...got it in the circle on a 375' hole at leagues tonight, which for me is a huge drive. It's becoming my go-to distance driver, so I'm trying to build my bag around it.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

For 375' drives you might also want to take a long look at the Sheriff and Captain. Both of those are somewhat understable bombers. They're a speed slower than a Ballista, but will go every bit as far.

The Captain is a disc you hear nothing about, but its legit. Very easy 400' shots. Sheriffs are notoriously finicky, but if you get a heavy lucid they'll stay steady without flipping.