#51  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Donovan's Avatar
Donovan Donovan is offline
Disc Mafia Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX, 76137, USA
Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,041
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I would not bother with Mountain (no tee pads for starters if you read my reveiw and hole info and WO Harrington was rather boring without the guys out there putting up a bunch of temp holes and tee pads.

I have to admit, I suppose Harry Meyers does remind me of Water Works. I never thought of it like that, but yeah it does. I think it is the feel of the place more than the actual hole designs.

Before heading out to Gateway West, go read my Course Condition Update I worte today. Oh heck, here it is:

The first 10 holes, 17 & 18 are better than they ever have been. They are really cleaned out and are playing really fun! The back 11-16 are in bad shape with lots of over growth going on 11-16. #15 has a bog where the fairway used to be. It is almost unplayabe unles you count the the slope on the right to land on. The only way to get to the newly cleaned up #17 tee is to walk backwards from #18.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
NDABRUSH NDABRUSH is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a charriot of fire
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 58
Posts: 1,597
Niced 127 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingy414 View Post
Audobahn and Gateway are still on my to-do list, but there are so many quality courses around here, I just haven't gotten around to it. Plus we've been taking road trips on the weekend to play farther courses. Went to Tyler last weekend and played Lindsey park (gold and red). Really worth the trip. Have to make a second trip ou there to play blue and the Roc DGC
Def play blue. In my opinion U.T. Tyler is just as good as the Roc if not better, but in a different way. The back 9 at U.T. is all wooded and tight. It's like 2 dif courses, so you have variety. The only thing is the back 9 is hard to navigate, but it's worth it to me. The roc has 1 "wooded hole" that is really just a trail. So if you like open with some elevation and a few holes with water in play,(only 1 is actually over the water) then the Roc is what you want. If you like tight wooded(back 9) with some open with moderate trees, then U.T. is the way to go. I played U.T. in June and it was well maintained and trimmed, don't know about now.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM
NDABRUSH NDABRUSH is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a charriot of fire
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 58
Posts: 1,597
Niced 127 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
I would not bother with Mountain (no tee pads for starters if you read my reveiw and hole info and WO Harrington was rather boring without the guys out there putting up a bunch of temp holes and tee pads.

I have to admit, I suppose Harry Meyers does remind me of Water Works. I never thought of it like that, but yeah it does. I think it is the feel of the place more than the actual hole designs.

Before heading out to Gateway West, go read my Course Condition Update I worte today. Oh heck, here it is:

The first 10 holes, 17 & 18 are better than they ever have been. They are really cleaned out and are playing really fun! The back 11-16 are in bad shape with lots of over growth going on 11-16. #15 has a bog where the fairway used to be. It is almost unplayabe unles you count the the slope on the right to land on. The only way to get to the newly cleaned up #17 tee is to walk backwards from #18.
Thanks Donovan and Giles. I think I will let Gateway dry out a little more and maybe it will be finished by then. There is a Gateway thread that has updates and they have been meeting there on the weekends and bustin azz getting it ready for you guys and us travelers. If they could do it on a week day, I would make the drive. I wonder if anyone has ever played this course when it was in Tournament condition. I assume that it has been in good condition at one point in the past. With my heavily wooded bias, I see the length and that it is heavily wooded and think this might or should be at least a 3 1/2 disc course, but I'll just wait it out because I want to play it like it's supposed to be dagnabbit.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Donovan's Avatar
Donovan Donovan is offline
Disc Mafia Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX, 76137, USA
Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,041
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
Thanks Donovan and Giles. I think I will let Gateway dry out a little more and maybe it will be finished by then. There is a Gateway thread that has updates and they have been meeting there on the weekends and bustin azz getting it ready for you guys and us travelers. If they could do it on a week day, I would make the drive. I wonder if anyone has ever played this course when it was in Tournament condition. I assume that it has been in good condition at one point in the past. With my heavily wooded bias, I see the length and that it is heavily wooded and think this might or should be at least a 3 1/2 disc course, but I'll just wait it out because I want to play it like it's supposed to be dagnabbit.
It is the toughest course in the area hands down. There was just too much vegetation and your shots had to be balls on accurate. The part they have cleaned out is perfect in my opinion. It is still a tough route, but much less likely to lose a disc in the very edge of the rough/tree line. I loved how tough it was. I always took weed snips with me and would cut a few thorn vines out of the ground on each hole as we played. I don't know if it has ever actually been tournament ready, as it take a few years to work a course carved out of the woods to develop with play. But the stuff they are doing to it now, has really sped the process up. I can't wait to see it all done.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Martin Dewgarita's Avatar
Martin Dewgarita Martin Dewgarita is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In the Woods, WI
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 1317
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,680
Niced 348 Times in 147 Posts
Default

I played Lester Lorch yesterday (both courses) I'm about to play Harry Meyers here in a few minutes, that's about all the time I'd like to spend in this city. But I did really enjoy Lester Lorch, though it wore me out (really I must have been quite tired, because 36 holes doesn't usually wear me out so bad) but it was a very enjoyable 36 holes. I do wish I could check out more of the area courses, but I do not have the stamina nor the desire to stick around this city (or any city for that matter) any longer.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
chopz33's Avatar
chopz33 chopz33 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: the colony, tx
Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 826
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

lol what dont you like about "this" city
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 30.3
Courses Played: 900
Posts: 2,614
Niced 58 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Dude wants to be down by the river....
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
giles's Avatar
giles giles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO
Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 199
Posts: 2,192
Niced 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopz33 View Post
lol what dont you like about "this" city
F'n hippy
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
FRIZZLE TOSSLER FRIZZLE TOSSLER is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 374
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
F'n hippy
If any of you "city boys" have ever spent an extended period of time in the wilderness (or on the road) you'd know what he's talking about....

I know this next statement will catch some heat, but what the heck... I personally can't stand being in DFW more than a couple of days @ a time. Maybe it has something to do w/ growing up there, I dunno.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
giles's Avatar
giles giles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO
Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 199
Posts: 2,192
Niced 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIZZLE TOSSLER View Post
If any of you "city boys" have ever spent an extended period of time in the wilderness (or on the road) you'd know what he's talking about....

I know this next statement will catch some heat, but what the heck... I personally can't stand being in DFW more than a couple of days @ a time. Maybe it has something to do w/ growing up there, I dunno.
I was joking... well, half joking anyway. I'm not a huge fan of DFW. I just happen to live here. I looked into moving to Austin back around '05. It didn't seem to have a real job market outside of UT, state government or Dell.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.