Old 10-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 24 Times in 21 Posts

I am aware of the differences between the two, but has anyone gone from the OLF (orion lf) to Rival or vice-versa?

What has been your experience in the change? Good or bad? I am trying to figure out if I want to stay with a fairway driver or go to a control driver and it is boiling down to these two.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 56
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
I am aware of the differences between the two, but has anyone gone from the OLF (orion lf) to Rival or vice-versa?

What has been your experience in the change? Good or bad? I am trying to figure out if I want to stay with a fairway driver or go to a control driver and it is boiling down to these two.
OLFs are sneaky long, 10-15% longer than the Rival. My OLFs have tended to loose their HSS first so they have a fair amount of turn, which maybe a good thing if you like to hyzer flip, while still fading harder than a seasoned Rival which break into straight then season to a slow rolling turn with little to no fade depending on how hard you throw. Not really the same golf lines for me as I'll throw Rival for laser beams up to about 350' and OLFs for tight s-turn distance shots just short of 400'. I prefer the smaller rimmed Rival for control reasons but if I need the distance and don't have a lot of room for fade, OLFs are great. If you need an OLF type shot into a headwind, try an Orc.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
OLFs are sneaky long, 10-15% longer than the Rival. My OLFs have tended to loose their HSS first so they have a fair amount of turn, which maybe a good thing if you like to hyzer flip, while still fading harder than a seasoned Rival which break into straight then season to a slow rolling turn with little to no fade depending on how hard you throw. Not really the same golf lines for me as I'll throw Rival for laser beams up to about 350' and OLFs for tight s-turn distance shots just short of 400'. I prefer the smaller rimmed Rival for control reasons but if I need the distance and don't have a lot of room for fade, OLFs are great. If you need an OLF type shot into a headwind, try an Orc.
In my bag setup, I have been thinking about using the Rival instead of the OLF with my Surge taking shots from the OLF. Part of me thinks that would be a better setup. I would have more control with the Rival vs the OLF and get the same amount of distance as the OLF by using the Surge.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 130 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
In my bag setup, I have been thinking about using the Rival instead of the OLF with my Surge taking shots from the OLF. Part of me thinks that would be a better setup. I would have more control with the Rival vs the OLF and get the same amount of distance as the OLF by using the Surge.
That's the way I'm leaning right now. Rivals for control shots, and outlaws for anything where distance is at a premium. I can cover whatever I need with those with fewer decisions to make on the course about what to throw.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 40 Times in 21 Posts

Picked up a pink Icon Rival 171g and did some field throws today. First Legacy disc I've tried and like the Icon plastic. Stiffer than Star and feels pretty indestructible. Wanting a 'mellower teebird' to replace the OOP Echostar teebird I've been throwing. Initial impression is the numbers are true at 7/5/0/2, maybe 2.5 fade, definitely more OS than the E* teebird. I'm gonna bag it and it will obviously beat in a bit. How much abuse will icon need before I can expect a little turn and slightly less fade?

Rival is a much better forehand disc than the teebird for me. Love the flat top vs domier teebirds. Checked the profile on 4 of these at PIAS, PLH almost identical on all 4 as well as flat tops. Kinda excited to knock the fresh off of this disc.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:08 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Picked up a pink Icon Rival 171g and did some field throws today. First Legacy disc I've tried and like the Icon plastic. Stiffer than Star and feels pretty indestructible. Wanting a 'mellower teebird' to replace the OOP Echostar teebird I've been throwing. Initial impression is the numbers are true at 7/5/0/2, maybe 2.5 fade, definitely more OS than the E* teebird. I'm gonna bag it and it will obviously beat in a bit. How much abuse will icon need before I can expect a little turn and slightly less fade?

Rival is a much better forehand disc than the teebird for me. Love the flat top vs domier teebirds. Checked the profile on 4 of these at PIAS, PLH almost identical on all 4 as well as flat tops. Kinda excited to knock the fresh off of this disc.
To honest, knocking the fresh off might take a bit. I love Legacy, but their plastic is basically indestructible. Icon will wear in eventually, but don't expect it to happen right away.

Agree with everything you say though. Rivals are more like the old 11x Teebirds that were nice and flat than the current domeys.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
How much abuse will icon need before I can expect a little turn and slightly less fade?
I have an Icon Phenom and Icon Patriot. I agree that the Icon plastic feels great. It's like Lat64 Gold Line to me. And like Gold Line, the Icon plastic may not be as indestructible as you think. My Phenom seasoned in rather quickly, while the Patriot seems to be holding its pattern longer. So play with your Rival for a while and see if it does or doesn't mellow in for you.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Eagle Member

I got an 171 Icon Rival from a trade and it flies like a TB/Eagle X hybrid. A little turn with the fade of a Teebird. Has good forward fade. I really dig it. I was looking for a straighter EX and I think this might fill that gap. With a heavy Pinnacle Rival, I should be able to fill my more overstable duties.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 40 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
I got an 171 Icon Rival from a trade and it flies like a TB/Eagle X hybrid. A little turn with the fade of a Teebird. Has good forward fade. I really dig it. I was looking for a straighter EX and I think this might fill that gap. With a heavy Pinnacle Rival, I should be able to fill my more overstable duties.
That's what I'm looking for from this disc. Must....have....patience....

Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Can anyone tell me about the Pinnacle Rival that has a centurion on it? Are they more stable?