Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Ah, the item of value battle... It is a hard one to win with all peeps.

I say screw the idea of players packs. It never really has appealed to me. Why am I paying for stuff I dont want? Id rather the TDs/event etc just take $5 and forget about trying to turn of profit on a bunch of junk or make some kind a appeared value to entice players. Lots of better stuff can be done with that $ too from entry fees if not just being lowered in general.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 72
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Shirts. I will always wear em, but i rarely throw the discs I get in the packs.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atvizory2000 View Post
Shirts. I will always wear em, but i rarely throw the discs I get in the packs.
I am a bit the opposite; I dislike ill fitting shirts, but can find a home for a disc, whether with me or elsewhere
Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 114
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

haha it's pretty funny this thread got a bump since i'm in the process of putting together this year's players pack and thanks for reaffirming my thought about long sleeve dry fits this year.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Ah, the item of value battle... It is a hard one to win with all peeps.

I say screw the idea of players packs. It never really has appealed to me. Why am I paying for stuff I dont want? Id rather the TDs/event etc just take $5 and forget about trying to turn of profit on a bunch of junk or make some kind a appeared value to entice players. Lots of better stuff can be done with that $ too from entry fees if not just being lowered in general.
I am all for the TD's making a profit. I don't want to do the work to put a tourney on. Who works for free? That extra 5 bucks is not going to break me. I could care less about a trophy from some local tourney anyway. I do like the idea of eating where and what I choose. Other than my lunch, I don't care what TD's do. We are lucky to have them.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatt1969 View Post
I am all for the TD's making a profit. I don't want to do the work to put a tourney on. Who works for free? That extra 5 bucks is not going to break me. I could care less about a trophy from some local tourney anyway. I do like the idea of eating where and what I choose. Other than my lunch, I don't care what TD's do. We are lucky to have them.
I second this 1000%. Players seriously complaining about tournament entry fees being $5 too expensive? Lol.

Who cares what TD's have to do to put on a tournament? I've never been one myself, but from what I can tell, the job looks like an unmitigated s***storm. And when someone sees a TD driving a car that isn't a miserable beater, let us know - point being that TD's are not getting rich off putting on tournaments. In fact no one working in disc golf is getting rich. Players who complain about TD's, podcasters, disc makers, videographers, the PDGA all getting rich are funny.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:34 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

PDGA is questionable...
Old 07-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin_brown View Post
I second this 1000%. Players seriously complaining about tournament entry fees being $5 too expensive? Lol.

Who cares what TD's have to do to put on a tournament? I've never been one myself, but from what I can tell, the job looks like an unmitigated s***storm. And when someone sees a TD driving a car that isn't a miserable beater, let us know - point being that TD's are not getting rich off putting on tournaments. In fact no one working in disc golf is getting rich. Players who complain about TD's, podcasters, disc makers, videographers, the PDGA all getting rich are funny.

One of my favorite topics.

No TD's are getting rich but some are making money. There is nothing wrong with making money but there is something wrong with making money off of the backs of others.

I don't maintain a course at personal loss so someone else can come in and make a "reasonable percentage" for their time and effort.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbably View Post
I don't maintain a course at personal loss so someone else can come in and make a "reasonable percentage" for their time and effort.
Ok, this sounds interesting.

Are you saying that you spend your time and money maintaining a course on public lands and then a TD comes in and runs a tournament w/o paying a fee to use the public lands? I agree, that doesn't sound right.

I never maintained that TD' should be flouting the rules or ripping people off.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 79
Niced 34 Times in 20 Posts

Not everyone drinks, so pint glasses and coozies aren't selling points for me. Although, I get the collectible value of a pint glass, and if it has the tourney logo on it, that would be cool.
When asking our group about discs or shirts for the players pack, they were pretty evenly split. We ended up going with a bunch of trilogy discs. We had nine different molds in there, so there were a lot of choices, and most everyone (aside from the peeps who throw only one of the other manufacturers exclusively. We've got a couple of Prodigy snobs) found something they'd like. We mixed it with really popular molds and a few new ones. Most of the companies let you run as few as ten of a particular mold, so you can mix a bunch in there. The University that hosts it on their course threw in a bunch of metal water bottles, and I see a lot of those on players bags. That was nice for us because it didn't come out of our budget, the University gave us some out of their stash of stuff they give away at various events.
We'll likely go with shirts for the fall tourney. Maybe a disc and shirt, may find something else to throw in.