Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Disc golf within' walking distance of camping

Hello. I am a nomad that lives on the road w/ my truck & camper. I'm a filmmaker on my own schedule and want to find the absolute best places to play disc golf where I can walk right from my camper and play daily. I am editing until January so I am totally free.

I will stay at the DG Hall of Fame in Appling, GA for 3 weeks coming up soon, but then plan to drive west. I am hoping to find a few awesome spots that maybe have a couple disc golf courses on location as well as RV camping. I want to get 2 round a day in everyday as much as possible while I edit films in the middle of the day. I just don't want to have to drive to play golf. I want to camp at the same location as some great courses.

Can anyone recommend some great places that on your way WEST. I know that Illinois, Michigan, & Wisconson have some good ones...but I am having trouble finding great disc golf hotspots.

I did find FARRAGUT STATE PARK in Idaho that could be an option when the busy season ends...but that's the best I could find.

Thanks for your help!

Trip
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 142 Times in 86 Posts

General Sibley in Bismarck ND is a disc golf course and campground.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 271
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 176 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripandball View Post

I did find FARRAGUT STATE PARK in Idaho that could be an option when the busy season ends...but that's the best I could find.

Trip
Frankly, it's not going to get any better than Farragut. I camp hosted there for two summers and the combination of campgrounds and disc golf is outstanding. They have three full 18 hole courses, and excellent 9 hole (scheduled to be bumped out to 18) "family friendly" course that is perfect for putter only rounds, and have begun installation of a longer, more open "championship" course.

So depending on where they are with expanding the small course and building the last one, you'll have between 3 1/2 and 5 courses at your disposal. And they are good courses.

Check out some of Central Coast Disc Golf's Youtube coverage of the Farragut Opens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-SCxGE3rNM

I will note that the two campgrounds closest to Disc Golf (Whitetail and Snowberry) are the first to close in the fall, often just after Labor Day. The other campgrounds are a couple of miles from the DG courses.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks @markmcc

I was looking at Reserve America and did see that they close just after Labor Day. It's booked on all weekends up until that point which makes staying for weeks difficult. Maybe next year for Farragut.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

Pleasant Hill, just south of Kansas City. You could tee off from your tent or truck on the back 9

Niced: (1)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 154
Niced 644 Times in 269 Posts

Horning's Hideout, North Plains, OR. http://www.horningshideout.com/ 3 courses on an awesome property, with camping right next to the courses. There are also a couple of other good courses within a 30 min. or so drive.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 56 Times in 22 Posts

Sipapu, New Mexico

Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 271
Niced 176 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripandball View Post
Thanks @markmcc

I was looking at Reserve America and did see that they close just after Labor Day. It's booked on all weekends up until that point which makes staying for weeks difficult. Maybe next year for Farragut.
They don't close all of the campgrounds, but they stop taking reservations. There are usually two campgrounds open well into October (you might call them to confirm) but they are a bit further from the disc golf. I used to ride my bike to the DG courses from that area.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in after Labor Day, but it's first come, first served...
Old 07-08-2017, 11:35 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default I love hornings hideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Horning's Hideout, North Plains, OR. http://www.horningshideout.com/ 3 courses on an awesome property, with camping right next to the courses. There are also a couple of other good courses within a 30 min. or so drive.
This is one of my favorite places to play in the country. Great location and definitely the one I stay at when I am in Oregon. I actually filmed a documentary called "Fred the Disc Golf Dog" at Hornings hideout. Look it up on youtube.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joots View Post
Pleasant Hill, just south of Kansas City. You could tee off from your tent or truck on the back 9
Thanks for the heads up! I am looking into this one now.