Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 645 Times in 424 Posts

Premium plastic putters have a really long wear pattern, not sure if you'd want to buy a stable premium putter with the intent of beating it straight.

If you were to pick up a stack of Wizards or Judges (or another beaded Trilogy putter) in a nice soft base plastic, you could get a cycle going pretty quick. Bonus if it turns out you like to putt with them.

If you really want a beaded, stable throwing putter in premium and you already have a putting putter you're married to, I highly recommend either the Shield in TP (essentially Goldline under a different name as you may be aware) or an Envy in Neutron. Envy is not technically beaded, but has a similar clean release backhand as any beaded throwing putter.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,271 Times in 1,039 Posts

I have always thought the DX Rhyno or the Gateway Wizard in right plastic was this disc. A Pro/R-Pro Ryhno can do this too but the plastic takes longer to wear in.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

I should have mentioned that the Challengers I have thrown beat in fairly quickly , especially in proD. Im looking for a disc I can work in and hopefully have it stay there, hence the reference to premium plastics. I do have a Z flex challenger, but it is just a dead disc. Not sure how else to describe it. No glide to it, maybe. Dont really like the Jawbreaker stuff I have either, but maybe I should give it another whirl.

I cant see spending the time to get a Zone or Pig to neutral. I throw a Pig, so maybe that will come naturally, though.

I think I have a baseline Judge somewhere I may try that and see if its worth a whirl.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 350 Times in 199 Posts

My dx rhyno took one day of throwing around a field in south carolina and it lost all of its fade. It's funny, I bought it to replace a zone that I lost in a pond down there, but it's nothing like a zone. If you don't like jawbreaker but you like DX, the rhyno's a useful disc to have... unless you're looking for glide. And it glides about as much as a rhinoceros. After what you said about the zflx challenger, it sounds like you want something with a tad more glide, so between the rhyno and the ringer gt, you do get a little more glide from the ringer gt) and if you like soft x then it might be a good fit. I know the flight charts indicate that the ringer gt is not much less OS than a zone, but in my experience with several of each, the zone is very consistently OS, the ringer gt much less so.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
I should have mentioned that the Challengers I have thrown beat in fairly quickly , especially in proD. Im looking for a disc I can work in and hopefully have it stay there, hence the reference to premium plastics. I do have a Z flex challenger, but it is just a dead disc. Not sure how else to describe it. No glide to it, maybe. Dont really like the Jawbreaker stuff I have either, but maybe I should give it another whirl.

I cant see spending the time to get a Zone or Pig to neutral. I throw a Pig, so maybe that will come naturally, though.

I think I have a baseline Judge somewhere I may try that and see if its worth a whirl.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Ive had an r-pro pig for a few years and it is really beat down and still straight with late fade. I dont think it will ever hit neutral. For that I use the roach - beautiful flip up and float straight forever. Pro-D is perfect until it breaks in and gets late turn (still good for US shapes) the BigZ and Ti are good but start a tiny bit OS.

The second best Ive tried was the p model s but it has a strange wear pattern in base plastic and I havent had enough time with duraflex yet but it flies essentially like my beat pig.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 384 Times in 237 Posts

Westside has a couple: Shield, and Crown.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 83
Niced 328 Times in 221 Posts

A Big Z Roach will handle what you're asking.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:27 PM

Niced 16 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
A Big Z Roach will handle what you're asking.
Exactly my choice. It starts out as what you are looking for and lasts for years. I have two backups from the same run. I can also throw it nearly as far as my midranges.