Old 10-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default My hips get stuck

I took a lesson with a local pro yesterday, an hour throwing putters on a soccer field.

He said my form was pretty good, he was trying to tweak my elbow and follow through.

I video'd but got almost none of it due to operator error. However there were a couple of shots of us throwing (from the waist down.) What little video I got showed something really clearly that I hadn't realized.

At the end of his throw his hips were square to the target. He looked like the standard photo of a ball golfer at the end of the follow through with the foot vertical. At the end of mine, they were in line with the target. I think when he talked about my follow through that's what he meant, but didn't have the terms to explain it. Sidewinder's one leg throw shows the hips swiveling all the way around, just like the ball golfers do.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 205 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
I took a lesson with a local pro yesterday, an hour throwing putters on a soccer field.

He said my form was pretty good, he was trying to tweak my elbow and follow through.

I video'd but got almost none of it due to operator error. However there were a couple of shots of us throwing (from the waist down.) What little video I got showed something really clearly that I hadn't realized.

At the end of his throw his hips were square to the target. He looked like the standard photo of a ball golfer at the end of the follow through with the foot vertical. At the end of mine, they were in line with the target. I think when he talked about my follow through that's what he meant, but didn't have the terms to explain it. Sidewinder's one leg throw shows the hips swiveling all the way around, just like the ball golfers do.
If you don't get off the back side and turn shoulders to the target it is impossible to throw without rounding (and lip up).
Old 10-15-2020, 08:24 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I got you, HUB's video on clearing the hip.

https://youtu.be/FUtnBMNsnbg

Niced: (2)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Some decent advice on that video but that idea he has of like your throwing weight actually screws up the timing of the hips and forces one towards a more momentum swing where one focuses on shoulder rotation and not hip rotation first.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Some decent advice on that video but that idea he has of like your throwing weight actually screws up the timing of the hips and forces one towards a more momentum swing where one focuses on shoulder rotation and not hip rotation first.
False.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr33putt View Post
False.
How so? As I understand it the disc/weight lags behind the rotation of the hips. You don't get lag when you are using guided momentum and gravity in an arc to swing it back and forth with your arms and shoulders.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 340 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr33putt View Post
I got you, HUB's video on clearing the hip.

https://youtu.be/FUtnBMNsnbg
This is so true. I have literally caught my hip pinched and fell to the ground to prevent injury. The rotation stopped. Thinking about the throw I thought I may have forgotten to rotate on the heel, but after seeing this video I understand what happened to me.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,454 Times in 2,702 Posts

Which local pro?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:54 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

I've been trying to get to that ball golfer drawing position, so now I have a sore right knee.

I don't see how he can keep his foot at 90 degrees while his hips turn, without ripping his knee in two.

But if I lift my toe it feels like I spin out with no brace.

Maybe the HUB video will help, it makes sense. That's what it feels like, I get stuck and the hip jams, but it's not all the time. I did get some video where I did follow through.

The local guy wanted me to not stand up during the throw (not staying on the hyzer plane I think is what he means by standing up, that's what sidewinder called it looking at one of my old videos) and when I do that the disc does come out more nose down. But I think maybe the standing up impulse is related to the hips getting stuck.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,454 Times in 2,702 Posts

Foot needs to be neutral to hip.