#1  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:17 AM
timothy42b timothy42b is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 220
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default My hips get stuck

I took a lesson with a local pro yesterday, an hour throwing putters on a soccer field.

He said my form was pretty good, he was trying to tweak my elbow and follow through.

I video'd but got almost none of it due to operator error. However there were a couple of shots of us throwing (from the waist down.) What little video I got showed something really clearly that I hadn't realized.

At the end of his throw his hips were square to the target. He looked like the standard photo of a ball golfer at the end of the follow through with the foot vertical. At the end of mine, they were in line with the target. I think when he talked about my follow through that's what he meant, but didn't have the terms to explain it. Sidewinder's one leg throw shows the hips swiveling all the way around, just like the ball golfers do.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2020, 12:32 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Tiny White Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 37.1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 405
Niced 205 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
I took a lesson with a local pro yesterday, an hour throwing putters on a soccer field.

He said my form was pretty good, he was trying to tweak my elbow and follow through.

I video'd but got almost none of it due to operator error. However there were a couple of shots of us throwing (from the waist down.) What little video I got showed something really clearly that I hadn't realized.

At the end of his throw his hips were square to the target. He looked like the standard photo of a ball golfer at the end of the follow through with the foot vertical. At the end of mine, they were in line with the target. I think when he talked about my follow through that's what he meant, but didn't have the terms to explain it. Sidewinder's one leg throw shows the hips swiveling all the way around, just like the ball golfers do.
If you don't get off the back side and turn shoulders to the target it is impossible to throw without rounding (and lip up).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2020, 08:24 PM
Thr33putt Thr33putt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 11
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I got you, HUB's video on clearing the hip.

https://youtu.be/FUtnBMNsnbg

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:05 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Some decent advice on that video but that idea he has of like your throwing weight actually screws up the timing of the hips and forces one towards a more momentum swing where one focuses on shoulder rotation and not hip rotation first.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 PM
Thr33putt Thr33putt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 11
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Some decent advice on that video but that idea he has of like your throwing weight actually screws up the timing of the hips and forces one towards a more momentum swing where one focuses on shoulder rotation and not hip rotation first.
False.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 AM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr33putt View Post
False.
How so? As I understand it the disc/weight lags behind the rotation of the hips. You don't get lag when you are using guided momentum and gravity in an arc to swing it back and forth with your arms and shoulders.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 AM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 711
Niced 340 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr33putt View Post
I got you, HUB's video on clearing the hip.

https://youtu.be/FUtnBMNsnbg
This is so true. I have literally caught my hip pinched and fell to the ground to prevent injury. The rotation stopped. Thinking about the throw I thought I may have forgotten to rotate on the heel, but after seeing this video I understand what happened to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2020, 04:19 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Posts: 17,304
Niced 4,454 Times in 2,702 Posts
Default

Which local pro?



Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2020, 09:54 AM
timothy42b timothy42b is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Virginia
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 220
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I've been trying to get to that ball golfer drawing position, so now I have a sore right knee.

I don't see how he can keep his foot at 90 degrees while his hips turn, without ripping his knee in two.

But if I lift my toe it feels like I spin out with no brace.

Maybe the HUB video will help, it makes sense. That's what it feels like, I get stuck and the hip jams, but it's not all the time. I did get some video where I did follow through.

The local guy wanted me to not stand up during the throw (not staying on the hyzer plane I think is what he means by standing up, that's what sidewinder called it looking at one of my old videos) and when I do that the disc does come out more nose down. But I think maybe the standing up impulse is related to the hips getting stuck.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 10-18-2020, 02:07 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Posts: 17,304
Niced 4,454 Times in 2,702 Posts
Default

Foot needs to be neutral to hip.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Twitch of the Hips RoDeO Technique & Strategy 662 12-08-2020 03:02 PM
The Hips sidewinder22 Technique & Strategy 55 11-30-2020 05:14 PM
I think my hips need help! steveo69 Form Analysis/Critique 2 10-22-2016 02:26 PM
How do I open up my hips? Understable Technique & Strategy 2 11-20-2015 06:19 PM
The hips... I must use them. HyzerUniBomber Technique & Strategy 14 08-04-2014 12:23 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.