Old 11-24-2020, 01:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 931 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedhorse View Post
front foot at 90 , and brace? where can I find any info about the brace and the front foot 90 degrees
There have been a lot of threads on these boards about 'bracing' against your front leg. My brief, non-expert interpretation of it: it's how you anchor your leg to allow force and weight transfer from your backswing into the hit.

Think of holding a Y-fork slingshot firmly in hand, and how that firm grip allows you to launch an object with force. Now think of holding that same slingshot loosely with just your thumb and finger. Even with the same pull, you simply will not be able to transfer that force into power. Same thing with a backhand disc golf shot, but your front brace leg is acting as the slingshot's Y-fork.

There are many aspects of transferring power with a good brace, but the first step IMO (and the one that got me past the 300' barrier) was making sure to keep the front foot perpendicular to the target line or even slightly closed.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 67 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
front foot at 90 , and brace? where can I find any info about the brace and the front foot 90 degrees
It's not so much about the direction of the foot at plant as it is the way the femur is hanging from the hip socket.

Femur needs to be neutral. Too internally rotated before/at plant will restrict the hip's ability to naturally rotate and clear as you swing through. Too externally rotated will make you spin out early and generally results in tipping over the top of the front leg and leaves you with nothing to brace against.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 30 Times in 28 Posts

Im at the The 300' Barrier. Just took out all of my fairway drivers from my bag, been stuck for like 6months, with just small improvements.. So, now I'm just going to do midrange and putters until I get some form improvements. Anyone got any tips ? any good drills?
Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Im at the The 300' Barrier. Just took out all of my fairway drivers from my bag, been stuck for like 6months, with just small improvements.. So, now I'm just going to do midrange and putters until I get some form improvements. Anyone got any tips ? any good drills?
Post a video of yourself throwing 2-3 drives. Then we can recommend drills to fix your form.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,060 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
At least practice with the fairway drivers. Just throwing putters and mids won't magically gain you distance. You don't have to use the fairway drivers on the course right now, but keep working with them.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts

I'm at the 300 foot barrier when landing on the fairway. But, a handful greater than 300' to the left of fairway or rough and into the wind(I'm a lefty) when not hitting a tree or landing in water. Also mix in some snap or from what I've been told, and from this thread I recognized I've been strong arming.
So, I was inspired by this thread and one other, and put away the bag for a week, studied two videos (picked after viewing several) on Standstill. Decided to build a better form with a Standstill, and throwing two Roc3's (complete trust) which I started a few days ago on the practice field. I liked what I saw and felt on the practice field this week. It seemed like I was getting more distance, but definitely straighter.
Tomorrow morning I'll visit a course I know very well in a remote area, and see how it goes. If the Roc's go as well as I expect. I'll likely park it on an open tee and throw other mid's and drivers. If those don't go well, I stick with the Roc's and try the others later. No matter what happens tomorrow, I plan on sticking with the Standstill until all discs work out, and eventually to a one-step and etc. My goal is to have a much better form by Spring. Each step starting with the Roc's, then the other discs.