Old 07-23-2021, 01:00 AM
AKA dgfanatic7

Niced 252 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
For someone who's not personally invested.....you certainly seem mightily personally invested.....
I mean you can think what you want, but there’s a difference between being personally invested and just making sure the right information is being communicated. Especially considering that is a very big part of my day job.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 AM
AKA dgfanatic7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Oh...and another thing that I think will hurt his business....look at some conversations on this site and others....there are lots of disc golfers that don't want to pay anything for the sport except for their discs. Look at course ratings...there's lots of 'boo, this course wants money to play it....I'm not paying to play'. There's a course near where I used to live that just asked $3 USD to play and people would park outside and climb the fence to play without paying. Almost cost the use of the course.

Pay for shoes that are designed to be worn only for disc golf? I don't see it happening. Nate Sexton might say he'll wear them once they are produced? But is he getting them for free to sponsor the company? The article says he was a tester....but what happens if he has to pay for them - are they really better than another shoe he can get at that price?
There’s a FAQ on the kickstarter, and there’s a question about sponsorships, it’s possible it could be an option for him in the future, but if they shoes weren’t doing well for him, I doubt he would have continued wearing them after the initial testing period
Old 07-23-2021, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,549 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
I mean you can think what you want, but there’s a difference between being personally invested and just making sure the right information is being communicated. Especially considering that is a very big part of my day job.
It just seems like you know more than you're letting on. This "right information" you speak of, how do you know more than any of us others? You are certainly coming across as invested.

Just my opinion, carry on.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 786 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
There’s a FAQ on the kickstarter, and there’s a question about sponsorships, it’s possible it could be an option for him in the future, but if they shoes weren’t doing well for him, I doubt he would have continued wearing them after the initial testing period
Yes....he kept wearing them because he owns them. My point/question was....if he's not sponsored/paid to wear them and they wear out.....would he buy another pair and wear them, or would he wear another shoe brand? That's what I would like to know when an athlete/celebrity supports their sponsor......would you still use <item> if you had to buy it yourself? For example....if Paul McBeth was no longer sponsored by any disc golf brand...would he still throw Discraft discs? If an athlete/celebrity can convince me they would buy and use a product even if they weren't paid to use it...that would tell me they really believe in the product and aren't just being paid to say they like it.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 786 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, but the kickstarter does say, "There is no risk in pledging your order. If we cannot produce your size after the close of the Kickstarter, You will not be charged for your order. We will communicate this information to you through our pledge manager."
That's what I don't understand.....so the Kickstarter closes....he's hit his dollar amount. Whoops, there's 20 people who paid the amounts where their package includes the shoes, but, wait, their shoe sizes are 'off' sizes and we aren't going to make them (at least not for some time). So, their money gets paid back.....which means the Kickstarter didn't make its goal.

I've never heard of a Kickstarter paying back money unless they got sued for it (may have happened....I just haven't heard of it).

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 190
Niced 1,627 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
It just seems like you know more than you're letting on. This "right information" you speak of, how do you know more than any of us others? You are certainly coming across as invested.

Thats where Im at. He seems to know more than he is letting on and has already been a part of a scam company so its kinda hard to believe what hes saying.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:53 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 354
Niced 7,296 Times in 2,973 Posts

Seems credible to me.

Totally credible. Yeah.

I can't help but wonder how salient the people involved with Salient are in this endeavor.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-23-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:44 PM
AKA dgfanatic7

Quote:
Yes....he kept wearing them because he owns them. My point/question was....if he's not sponsored/paid to wear them and they wear out.....would he buy another pair and wear them, or would he wear another shoe brand? That's what I would like to know when an athlete/celebrity supports their sponsor......would you still use <item> if you had to buy it yourself? For example....if Paul McBeth was no longer sponsored by any disc golf brand...would he still throw Discraft discs? If an athlete/celebrity can convince me they would buy and use a product even if they weren't paid to use it...that would tell me they really believe in the product and aren't just being paid to say they like it.
I gotcha, and yeah those are definitely valid questions
Old 07-23-2021, 01:51 PM
AKA dgfanatic7

Quote:

Fair enough. I just am on Facebook and YouTube too much is what it comes down to lol. If I want to learn about something I really spend a lot of time around it. I have only messaged the owner through Facebook, to mainly give him my input when it came to the design, weight of the shoe, aggressive outer tread and waterproofing being the main ones from me personally, asked a couple questions and that’s about it, that was 2 years ago when he first started the project. Like I said I understand what you’re saying, especially after what horsman has said, I will say the difference is I’m not hyping these shoes up, I don’t think they’re the best thing out there, just sharing the Kickstarter and helping to answer questions where I can based off that Kickstarter campaign and updates. Some people find it useful, some don’t, some find it suspicious and that’s fine, they will stay far away from the campaign, that’s their choice. It doesn’t matter to me either way? I just like talking about this stuff honestly and tend to put faith in things that don’t always work out in the end, obviously.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:53 PM
AKA dgfanatic7

Quote:
That's what I don't understand.....so the Kickstarter closes....he's hit his dollar amount. Whoops, there's 20 people who paid the amounts where their package includes the shoes, but, wait, their shoe sizes are 'off' sizes and we aren't going to make them (at least not for some time). So, their money gets paid back.....which means the Kickstarter didn't make its goal.

I've never heard of a Kickstarter paying back money unless they got sued for it (may have happened....I just haven't heard of it).
I’m sure others will raise questions about this on the Kickstarter directly, sellers do pay fees to Kickstarter they do also have the option to do refunds, most don’t. That said he may have taken that all into account and added a buffer to his goal to be on the safe side. That would have been the smart thing to do.

Niced: (1)