Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
$1300 worth of Zones. Tasty.
This is the first thing I thought of. VIP would be set for Zones for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 123
Niced 209 Times in 127 Posts

2 Chainstars, and then enough Heats and Zones to last me and my kids forever.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 49
Niced 351 Times in 240 Posts

As a crappy Am who doesn't worry about cash, I'm just happy to get some free stuff/credit at local stores. If I have free money to spend with a certain manufacture or certain store, I can find something I want - be that clothes, discs, targets, or accessories. I'm fine with that. If I get up to winning 1st in AM1 or Pro divisions, I could see more of an issue. However, as an admitted average guy, I'm fine with current local payouts.

I play for the fun, the friends, and the competition. Regardless of my placing.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My opinion is that Ams should be playing trophy only and have better players packs. If people are signing up for Am divisions for the payouts, that's kind of lame imo.
This, a lot

Even if some portion of the entry doesnt go to the open money (a different debate)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 147 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
This, a lot

Even if some portion of the entry doesnt go to the open money (a different debate)
I second this!!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 160
Niced 30 Times in 13 Posts

Well I feel like I have to comment. Just a few things....

You can use your payout at the Discraft Factory Store after the tournament. They will have a larger selection available by the time the end of the summer rolls around. That is at least the plan.

We do plan to have more than just discs available. Baskets, apparel, etc will all be available.

I would like to point out that not one dollar from AM entry fees goes to the pro payout. The AMS have a massive player's pack that is worth more than their entry fee plus they have a massive payout. This year players also will have a free dinner, ice cream social, free food at a baseball game and all kinds of other events going on.

I understand that its frustrating for some people to only have access to Discraft, but they put up a TON of money for this event. Lets remember that if you go play a DD event, you are going to be paid out in funds to buy DD plastic. We could certainly choose to have a smaller AM payout and just keep that money, but we have chosen to pay it out to the players. That money isn't going to the pros; its staying with the AMS. Discraft puts up a lot of money for this event, so they deserve exclusivity in the payout. I have definitely gotten thicker skin over the years, but whenever I hear people complain about getting "too much" money in their AM payout I have to laugh. I understand that's not what everyone is necessarily complaining about, but some people are. There was a large discussion the other day on a thread that drove Smashboxx to even talk about this in the first place and it really does feel like a first world problem

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 716 Times in 451 Posts

I wonder what the break point would be on trophy only? That is, what charge per entry would be necessary to cover pro payout? Yeah I know, bad pros. Set that aside for the math exercise. If I have to move X discs, with Y profit to cover pro payout, and my own profit (on disc sales), how much would I have to charge per player, trophy only, to get the same result?

The notion of a TD who runs an event, makes a little bit of money based on entry fees, and can do a payout with out having to move plastic has always intrigued me. On top of that. If you did sales at the event, you'd still move some merch, just not as much.

BTW, this is the fun run model. Typically, the entry goes to some cause, and there might be a cut for staff (pictures, timing etc.) but there's no payout model equivalent and the generate lots o money. Of course they can get 500 at a small event. Still, worth thinking about.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 716 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
Well I feel like I have to comment. Just a few things....

You can use your payout at the Discraft Factory Store after the tournament. They will have a larger selection available by the time the end of the summer rolls around. That is at least the plan.

We do plan to have more than just discs available. Baskets, apparel, etc will all be available.

I would like to point out that not one dollar from AM entry fees goes to the pro payout. The AMS have a massive player's pack that is worth more than their entry fee plus they have a massive payout. This year players also will have a free dinner, ice cream social, free food at a baseball game and all kinds of other events going on.

I understand that its frustrating for some people to only have access to Discraft, but they put up a TON of money for this event. Lets remember that if you go play a DD event, you are going to be paid out in funds to buy DD plastic. We could certainly choose to have a smaller AM payout and just keep that money, but we have chosen to pay it out to the players. That money isn't going to the pros; its staying with the AMS. Discraft puts up a lot of money for this event, so they deserve exclusivity in the payout. I have definitely gotten thicker skin over the years, but whenever I hear people complain about getting "too much" money in their AM payout I have to laugh. I understand that's not what everyone is necessarily complaining about, but some people are. There was a large discussion the other day on a thread that drove Smashboxx to even talk about this in the first place and it really does feel like a first world problem
Quickly, Ledgstone is an amazing event. The notion that anyone would not go because of merch seems silly to me. Whatever you pay, atmosphere covers the cost. Thanks for commenting.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 455 Times in 232 Posts

If I won $1300 in AM, and could only pick Discraft, I would probably just switch my entire bag over to Discraft.

And get a basket.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

Playing a lot of local tournaments in San Diego last year, I probably have 5 yellow innova bags with player bag swag that I will never use. 5 sticker sheets, 5 coozies, and a disc or 2. I care nothing for those type of player packs. I'd much rather have a gift card so I could choose what I wanted.