#81  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,312
Niced 1,845 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default

If I was a predominantly OH thrower, I would be protesting on every tee. Take 25sec to verbally protest, then b4 my 30sec runs out, toss a disc 5ft off the tee and then throw my thumber up and take a 3.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:30 AM
bwgort bwgort is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 83
Posts: 312
Niced 92 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
The head of the Competition Committee is actually the TD of this tournament in question, just FYI. I am also a member of the committee, though I am a brand new member and have yet to chime in on anything.

As to MTL's point (Robert Leonard): The USDGC gets waivers for various rules, such as going to a DZ on an island green on 17 after three OB throws, or various stroke and distance holes, stuff like that. The USDGC, to my knowledge, has never gotten a waiver to limit the way the disc is thrown at their tournament. Here is the definition of an X Tier:

The "X" in X-Tier stands for experimental. These can be doubles events, ratings-based events, team events, and experimental events with formats approved by the PDGA Tour Manager. An X-Tier event can be sanctioned at the A-Tier, B-Tier, or C-Tier level for the purposes of points allocation, depending on purse and field size.

As anyone reads that definition, does disallowing a throwing style fit with that definition? I would say absolutely not.
I know, I was just wondering who else was on the committee as it appears that their recent spate of decisions has not been well thought out. Thanks for your response and diligence on this and other issues.

Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 13,972
Niced 1,746 Times in 843 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
The head of the Competition Committee is actually the TD of this tournament in question, just FYI. I am also a member of the committee, though I am a brand new member and have yet to chime in on anything.

As to MTL's point (Robert Leonard): The USDGC gets waivers for various rules, such as going to a DZ on an island green on 17 after three OB throws, or various stroke and distance holes, stuff like that. The USDGC, to my knowledge, has never gotten a waiver to limit the way the disc is thrown at their tournament. Here is the definition of an X Tier:

The "X" in X-Tier stands for experimental. These can be doubles events, ratings-based events, team events, and experimental events with formats approved by the PDGA Tour Manager. An X-Tier event can be sanctioned at the A-Tier, B-Tier, or C-Tier level for the purposes of points allocation, depending on purse and field size.

As anyone reads that definition, does disallowing a throwing style fit with that definition? I would say absolutely not.
Well, the definition says what they can be. It doesn't say what they can't be, or what they're limited to.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 13,972
Niced 1,746 Times in 843 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Interesting. I Was wrong. I admit I haven't 100% read the entire 2018 rules book. It's on my xmas reading list.
Me neither. But I was just given one this weekend, and hadn't put it up yet. I was hoping you were right, but looked it up and, believe me, I was unhappy to prove you wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 AM
krupicka's Avatar
krupicka krupicka is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 67
Posts: 1,129
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts
Default

There is also this:
"• Any event that receives a waiver for a rule where it is determined that the rule will make the layout unrateable will only be sanctioned using the X designation added to the Tier level and the TD will need to include the information that the event WON’T be rated within the event information prior to players registering to ensure they are aware" 2018 Tour Standards.

So if is deemed unrateable by certain individuals it also gets the dreaded X designation.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,756
Niced 747 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
I know, I was just wondering who else was on the committee as it appears that their recent spate of decisions has not been well thought out. Thanks for your response and diligence on this and other issues.
The committee responsible for the 2018 competition manual:
Jay Reading (Chair)
Andrew Sweeton
Shawn Sinclair
Suzette Simons
Chuck Kennedy
Dan Doyle
Chuck Connelly
Michael Belchik
Avery Jenkins


so looks like Discette and CGK are on here quite frequently...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM
esdubya's Avatar
esdubya esdubya is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Detroit
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 105
Posts: 1,136
Niced 145 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Poor decision. You can't restrict technique! Waiver should never have been granted for this.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 658
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,610
Niced 778 Times in 420 Posts
Default

As a member of CompCom, I've been avoiding posting personal opinions on policies the CompCom and eventually Board approves. If I disagree with some aspects of a policy or decision, I try to keep those discussions internal with the CompCom, PDGA Staff and Board.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM
bwgort bwgort is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 83
Posts: 312
Niced 92 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
As a member of CompCom, I've been avoiding posting personal opinions on policies the CompCom and eventually Board approves. If I disagree with some aspects of a policy or decision, I try to keep those discussions internal with the CompCom, PDGA Staff and Board.
Is a decision to give ratings to an event the competition committees decision? If so, does it require a majority vote?


Edit: Also, you said that giving the event ratings was a no-brainer. Can you elaborate based on my previous question re: this not being disc golf?

I feel bad for TDs that have been hassled by the PDGA to change their event to allow them to provide ratings when a poorly thought out, poorly worded ban on a part of the game is allowed without any explanation by the PDGA. And we wonder where people get the perception that the rating is arbitrary....

Niced: (1)

Last edited by bwgort; 11-13-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
 

  #90  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 658
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,610
Niced 778 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
There is also this:
"• Any event that receives a waiver for a rule where it is determined that the rule will make the layout unrateable will only be sanctioned using the X designation added to the Tier level and the TD will need to include the information that the event WON’T be rated within the event information prior to players registering to ensure they are aware" 2018 Tour Standards.

So if is deemed unrateable by certain individuals it also gets the dreaded X designation.
CompCom should probably tweak that statement next time it's updated. Only some format tweaks (using Ript cards) are truly unrateable. It's just that typical format changes are enough different from standard disc golf (mulligans, doubles, stableford) that the round ratings produced are for a DG variant game and should be separate from a player's PDGA rating. Many players even feel league ratings are enough of a game variant that they should become a separate rating.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.