Old 08-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 132 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I actually have a trademark and business plan for large hole amateur events. It's on hold for now though. They don't need that on the PDGA, they already make everything at a reasonable distance.
I was joking.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
You criticizing someone for making assumptions that aren't true?

That's rich.
Had to laugh at that although I agree with most of his assumptions.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I was joking.
It actually works for corporate events and such where many of the participants haven't played much or any golf, hole in one prizes, etc. but I've got some bigger scale plans as well. The same thing could be said for disc golf. Would be a good way to introduce players to the game.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
It actually works for corporate events and such where many of the participants haven't played much or any golf, hole in one prizes, etc. but I've got some bigger scale plans as well. The same thing could be said for disc golf. Would be a good way to introduce players to the game.
I've heard an advert during the PGA Championship that they already have big hole golf things going on too. Some JR thing, in the past I've heard about amatuer things as well. Never seen one myself, just through adverts or online posts.

I think the bigger golf hole is a good idea for beginners.

It's similar then to a disc golf basket.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
You criticizing someone for making assumptions that aren't true?

That's rich.
My assumptions are based in factual results though. A smaller basket is harder to putt on for instance. True of course.

Disc golf designers have gone to raised baskets, mandos/triple mandos, trees left in the fairways, artificial OB and ropes everywhere, etc to challenge the disc golfer. The main reason is that C1 putts are basically gimmes by percentage. They want a hard disc course! True again

Now if you make putting a little less easy then the rest of these tricks are not as needed and some can be removed, now the course can still be a reasonable challenge. True.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,043 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote:
My assumptions are based in factual results though. A smaller basket is harder to putt on for instance. True of course.

Disc golf designers have gone to raised baskets, mandos/triple mandos, trees left in the fairways, artificial OB and ropes everywhere, etc to challenge the disc golfer. The main reason is that C1 putts are basically gimmes by percentage. They want a hard disc course! True again

Now if you make putting a little less easy then the rest of these tricks are not as needed and some can be removed, now the course can still be a reasonable challenge. True.
You mean, like your model, the PGA? Small (unfair) fairways, fast greens, thick rough? Are these the tricks the PGA uses to make the game more exciting to watch? Again, why don't they just make the cup smaller?

PS.....you have NO idea what the word fact means.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
You mean, like your model, the PGA? Small (unfair) fairways, fast greens, thick rough? Are these the tricks the PGA uses to make the game more exciting to watch? Again, why don't they just make the cup smaller?

The fairways don't have trees in the middle. Sure fast greens and thick rough. And the pro's have complained a lot when it has been set up unfair like at Shinnecock and balls start rolling off the green. It becomes a circus. That's basically what we have with OB ropes everywhere, triple mandos, baskets on mounds, no real fairways, etc. You throw a great shot then hope to get lucky.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-...happened-again

They change the course for the pro's in some ways, but they also have a lot of money to do so. Changing the baskets is a relatively small investment over the next 3 decades, especially since they will need to be replaced anyways. I just think that course designers should have an option of a tougher basket if they want it. I think many would.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 417 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Who's PGA? How did they destroy my argument? What are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

He has NO idea what HE is even talking about.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:35 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,210 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Lots of assumptions which are not true. ...
You're not entirely wrong about that. I layered on a lot of unneeded frosting just for fun. It could be that none of the numbers are correct. However the exact numbers don't matter.

The cake under all that frosting is that there IS a sweet spot zone for putts; where putts are neither automatic nor impossible. That's where designers want players to land because that's how to get scoring separation.

Make the basket catch half the putts it does now, and that sweet spot zone will have half the area of the current sweet spot zone.

Sure, the not-automatic-range shrinks (which is the goal of smaller targets), but the impossible-range shrinks right along with it (which is an unfortunate side effect).

Both ranges will be about 70% of the current range if the basket is half the size. (~70% = square root of 1/2 because putting percentage for pros goes down with the square of the distance. Since the area of the sweet spot zone is proportional to the square of the range, the area of the sweet spot zone goes down in proportion to the size of the target.)

With a smaller target, and therefore a smaller sweet spot zone, it would seem be to be more difficult to get players to land in it. Even if holes are adjusted for the new basket.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 105
Niced 451 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
To sum up: We would lose about one-fourth of the information to be gleaned from putting by making the basket half as big. (Depending on a bunch of assumptions being true.)
Wouldn't that lost information on skill move to another aspect of the game like driving skill or approach skill?

*I'm not trying to troll I am actually curious.