#1011  
Old 08-29-2020, 05:50 AM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You're not entirely wrong about that. I layered on a lot of unneeded frosting just for fun. It could be that none of the numbers are correct. However the exact numbers don't matter.

The cake under all that frosting is that there IS a sweet spot zone for putts; where putts are neither automatic nor impossible. That's where designers want players to land because that's how to get scoring separation.

Make the basket catch half the putts it does now, and that sweet spot zone will have half the area of the current sweet spot zone.

Sure, the not-automatic-range shrinks (which is the goal of smaller targets), but the impossible-range shrinks right along with it (which is an unfortunate side effect).

Both ranges will be about 70% of the current range if the basket is half the size. (~70% = square root of 1/2 because putting percentage for pros goes down with the square of the distance. Since the area of the sweet spot zone is proportional to the square of the range, the area of the sweet spot zone goes down in proportion to the size of the target.)

With a smaller target, and therefore a smaller sweet spot zone, it would seem be to be more difficult to get players to land in it. Even if holes are adjusted for the new basket.
I would say the new design would catch closer to ~80% of the current putts. Landing closer would be a greater reward. Currently it doesn't matter much if you land 3 feet or 25 feet. Both result in birdie a great majority of the time. ~88% for Eagle for instance from 25 feet.

Landing close to the basket just doesn't matter much, it should.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1012  
Old 08-29-2020, 05:54 AM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Wouldn't that lost information on skill move to another aspect of the game like driving skill or approach skill?



*I'm not trying to troll I am actually curious.
Of course. Close upshots and park jobs are then highly rewarded. Avoiding blowing by 25 feet on a putt matters so you don't 3 putt. Higher skilled putters make an even higher percentage of putts versus lower skilled putters. Etc....
Reply With Quote
  #1013  
Old 08-29-2020, 08:30 AM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,065
Niced 4,156 Times in 1,467 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
The fairways don't have trees in the middle. Sure fast greens and thick rough. And the pro's have complained a lot when it has been set up unfair like at Shinnecock and balls start rolling off the green. It becomes a circus. That's basically what we have with OB ropes everywhere, triple mandos, baskets on mounds, no real fairways, etc. You throw a great shot then hope to get lucky.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-...happened-again

They change the course for the pro's in some ways, but they also have a lot of money to do so. Changing the baskets is a relatively small investment over the next 3 decades, especially since they will need to be replaced anyways. I just think that course designers should have an option of a tougher basket if they want it. I think many would.
LMAO...you are out of steam. Your beloved PGA has completely destroyed your premise. You contradict yourself in nearly every post now.

So....your model, PGA changes the course set up to get the players to finish near par and the players revolt. Hmmmmm....players don't want the game more difficult.

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing
-You have no idea what the problem is
-You have NO idea how to resolve the multitude of logistical problems it presents
-You have NO idea what the logistical problems are
-You have NO idea what size the basket should be
-You have NO idea what the outcome of your change would be
-You are desperately trying to model disc golf after golf
-You have NO idea what golf is
-Golf does not even want to be what you want disc golf to be

I cannot see, how we are not done here.
-
Reply With Quote
  #1014  
Old 08-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Posts: 5,456
Niced 2,223 Times in 1,067 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
...

Landing close to the basket just doesn't matter much, it should.
If you change that with smaller baskets, then avoiding landing far from the basket just won't matter much.

The size of the area where it matters (between tap-ins and lay-ups) will shrink.

Reply With Quote
  #1015  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:06 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If you change that with smaller baskets, then avoiding landing far from the basket just won't matter much.

The size of the area where it matters (between tap-ins and lay-ups) will shrink.
Not anywhere close to where you say not to mention most shots are landing in that 10-45 foot range anyways. You want those putts to have a higher degree of difficulty, especially on the far end.
Reply With Quote
  #1016  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:07 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
LMAO...you are out of steam. Your beloved PGA has completely destroyed your premise. You contradict yourself in nearly every post now.

So....your model, PGA changes the course set up to get the players to finish near par and the players revolt. Hmmmmm....players don't want the game more difficult.

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing
-You have no idea what the problem is
-You have NO idea how to resolve the multitude of logistical problems it presents
-You have NO idea what the logistical problems are
-You have NO idea what size the basket should be
-You have NO idea what the outcome of your change would be
-You are desperately trying to model disc golf after golf
-You have NO idea what golf is
-Golf does not even want to be what you want disc golf to be

I cannot see, how we are not done here.
-
Sounds like you know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #1017  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 340
Niced 169 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
LMAO...you are out of steam. Your beloved PGA has completely destroyed your premise. You contradict yourself in nearly every post now.

So....your model, PGA changes the course set up to get the players to finish near par and the players revolt. Hmmmmm....players don't want the game more difficult.

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing
-You have no idea what the problem is
-You have NO idea how to resolve the multitude of logistical problems it presents
-You have NO idea what the logistical problems are
-You have NO idea what size the basket should be
-You have NO idea what the outcome of your change would be
-You are desperately trying to model disc golf after golf
-You have NO idea what golf is
-Golf does not even want to be what you want disc golf to be

I cannot see, how we are not done here.
-
We are not trying to model it after Ball golf except in the aspect that ball golfing is more exciting because the scoring shots require more skill and accuracy than disc golf.
Reply With Quote
  #1018  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,177
Niced 2,531 Times in 1,013 Posts
Default

I really enjoy how OMDG and BGC state their opinions as if they are undeniable fact.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #1019  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:49 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
We are not trying to model it after Ball golf except in the aspect that ball golfing is more exciting because the scoring shots require more skill and accuracy than disc golf.
I was just trying to humor him. But of course, we are not trying to make it like ball golf. Simply a more balanced fair game that rewards the best play. Make putting matter/accurate putting and reward accurate upshots, parked drives. Trying to reduce luck/bad luck as much as we can and still challenge the top players.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1020  
Old 08-29-2020, 01:51 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 799
Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I really enjoy how OMDG and BGC state their opinions as if they are undeniable fact.
What parts are you having a problem with?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smaller greens? mhulkman Course Design 103 08-22-2020 07:13 PM
Smaller basket name? AzteC Other Gear 6 08-07-2014 11:56 PM
HELP! i need to make my apartment quieter with basket elmexdela Other Gear 20 01-09-2014 10:42 AM
PGA Pros/Clubs coversion to PDGA Pros/Plastic MurderMike41370 General Disc Golf Chat 36 01-22-2013 12:28 PM
Make some offers! Need to get rid of to make room!!! bretttallen The Marketplace 10 08-26-2010 11:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.