Old 08-29-2020, 05:50 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You're not entirely wrong about that. I layered on a lot of unneeded frosting just for fun. It could be that none of the numbers are correct. However the exact numbers don't matter.

The cake under all that frosting is that there IS a sweet spot zone for putts; where putts are neither automatic nor impossible. That's where designers want players to land because that's how to get scoring separation.

Make the basket catch half the putts it does now, and that sweet spot zone will have half the area of the current sweet spot zone.

Sure, the not-automatic-range shrinks (which is the goal of smaller targets), but the impossible-range shrinks right along with it (which is an unfortunate side effect).

Both ranges will be about 70% of the current range if the basket is half the size. (~70% = square root of 1/2 because putting percentage for pros goes down with the square of the distance. Since the area of the sweet spot zone is proportional to the square of the range, the area of the sweet spot zone goes down in proportion to the size of the target.)

With a smaller target, and therefore a smaller sweet spot zone, it would seem be to be more difficult to get players to land in it. Even if holes are adjusted for the new basket.
I would say the new design would catch closer to ~80% of the current putts. Landing closer would be a greater reward. Currently it doesn't matter much if you land 3 feet or 25 feet. Both result in birdie a great majority of the time. ~88% for Eagle for instance from 25 feet.

Landing close to the basket just doesn't matter much, it should.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2020, 05:54 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Wouldn't that lost information on skill move to another aspect of the game like driving skill or approach skill?

*I'm not trying to troll I am actually curious.
Of course. Close upshots and park jobs are then highly rewarded. Avoiding blowing by 25 feet on a putt matters so you don't 3 putt. Higher skilled putters make an even higher percentage of putts versus lower skilled putters. Etc....
Old 08-29-2020, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,156 Times in 1,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
The fairways don't have trees in the middle. Sure fast greens and thick rough. And the pro's have complained a lot when it has been set up unfair like at Shinnecock and balls start rolling off the green. It becomes a circus. That's basically what we have with OB ropes everywhere, triple mandos, baskets on mounds, no real fairways, etc. You throw a great shot then hope to get lucky.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-...happened-again

They change the course for the pro's in some ways, but they also have a lot of money to do so. Changing the baskets is a relatively small investment over the next 3 decades, especially since they will need to be replaced anyways. I just think that course designers should have an option of a tougher basket if they want it. I think many would.
LMAO...you are out of steam. Your beloved PGA has completely destroyed your premise. You contradict yourself in nearly every post now.

So....your model, PGA changes the course set up to get the players to finish near par and the players revolt. Hmmmmm....players don't want the game more difficult.

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing
-You have no idea what the problem is
-You have NO idea how to resolve the multitude of logistical problems it presents
-You have NO idea what the logistical problems are
-You have NO idea what size the basket should be
-You have NO idea what the outcome of your change would be
-You are desperately trying to model disc golf after golf
-You have NO idea what golf is
-Golf does not even want to be what you want disc golf to be

I cannot see, how we are not done here.
-
Old 08-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,223 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post

Landing close to the basket just doesn't matter much, it should.
If you change that with smaller baskets, then avoiding landing far from the basket just won't matter much.

The size of the area where it matters (between tap-ins and lay-ups) will shrink.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If you change that with smaller baskets, then avoiding landing far from the basket just won't matter much.

The size of the area where it matters (between tap-ins and lay-ups) will shrink.
Not anywhere close to where you say not to mention most shots are landing in that 10-45 foot range anyways. You want those putts to have a higher degree of difficulty, especially on the far end.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
LMAO...you are out of steam. Your beloved PGA has completely destroyed your premise. You contradict yourself in nearly every post now.

So....your model, PGA changes the course set up to get the players to finish near par and the players revolt. Hmmmmm....players don't want the game more difficult.

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing
-You have NO idea how to resolve the multitude of logistical problems it presents

-
Sounds like you know what you are talking about.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 169 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

You have ONE idea.
-Few others like it
-It solves nothing

-
We are not trying to model it after Ball golf except in the aspect that ball golfing is more exciting because the scoring shots require more skill and accuracy than disc golf.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,531 Times in 1,013 Posts

I really enjoy how OMDG and BGC state their opinions as if they are undeniable fact.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
We are not trying to model it after Ball golf except in the aspect that ball golfing is more exciting because the scoring shots require more skill and accuracy than disc golf.
I was just trying to humor him. But of course, we are not trying to make it like ball golf. Simply a more balanced fair game that rewards the best play. Make putting matter/accurate putting and reward accurate upshots, parked drives. Trying to reduce luck/bad luck as much as we can and still challenge the top players.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I really enjoy how OMDG and BGC state their opinions as if they are undeniable fact.
What parts are you having a problem with?