#1951  
Old 10-18-2021, 01:36 PM
apdrvya's Avatar
apdrvya apdrvya is offline
Marketplace Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spring Lake, MI
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 336
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,735
Niced 94 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Why not contact them yourself? The parks master plan gives you an opening.




"You know, a big new course in Helder Park would revive Adult Disc Golf."
I could. Thanks for that!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1952  
Old 10-31-2021, 02:57 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is online now
* Ace No More *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 405
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,440
Niced 9,591 Times in 3,747 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Got word of a new 9 hole course in Whitmore Lake. I will work on getting some additional info.
Just played it. Located in Northfield Community Park. 1st tee is behind the Post Office. Two sets of tees, marked by red or white markers about 6" tall. Next tee arrows after every basket.

Legit holes that make you actually shape a line with a decent mix of open/wooded. Not in the Convo for best niner on the country, but it don't suck. It's a decent course, but definitely holds water in spots.

Will list it and put up a review when I get a chance.

Reply With Quote
  #1953  
Old 11-05-2021, 05:03 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 39.1
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,357
Niced 8,537 Times in 2,939 Posts
Default

Just took a quick drive over to Boardman Park in Taylor. It is listed on DGS already. This is what I found.

Course does not have baskets, at this time. Tee pads have been poured and are huge and look great. The park seems to be clay based and was holding water in Nov. Looks like a canal of sorts has been dug around part of the park to manage drainage. It has been very wet, so this may change seasonally. Holes seem to work around the parameter of the park, making use of a nice hill. There is a walking path that seems to come into play, but it was hard to see the exact flow for lack of baskets. Pro and Am pads on most holes. There is a picnic shelter and playground on site. Looks as if it is dog friendly. (obviously on a leash and cleaned up after) There were garbage cans in the park. This area is begging for a course and this looks to be more than a pitch and putt venture. The holes looked interesting and longs seems to present a challenge. I am dying to give this course a play. I will try to update, when baskets are put in place. Going South on Telegraph, turn right on Haskell St, right before Home Impressions Furniture, past Tim Horton's.

Reply With Quote
  #1954  
Old 11-05-2021, 05:28 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is online now
* Ace No More *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 405
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,440
Niced 9,591 Times in 3,747 Posts
Default

^ Thanks for the info. Wonder when the baskets will be installed at Independence Green (Farmington Hills)?

Full disclosure:
I revised Whitmore Lake from 2.5 to 2.0.
I really thought they did a great job for that parcel, but 2.5 just didn't sit right with me. It's still a solid beginner course and exactly the type of course that are didn't have.

But I have Wagner and Starr Jaycee at 2.5. I can't pretend it's as good as those.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #1955  
Old 11-05-2021, 05:40 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 39.1
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,357
Niced 8,537 Times in 2,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
^ Thanks for the info. Wonder when the baskets will be installed at Independence Green (Farmington Hills)?

Full disclosure:
I revised Whitmore Lake from 2.5 to 2.0.
I really thought they did a great job for that parcel, but 2.5 just didn't sit right with me. It's still a solid beginner course and exactly the type of course that are didn't have.

But I have Wagner and Starr Jaycee at 2.5. I can't pretend it's as good as those.
I have talked to a couple players that have been out to the Whitmore Lake course. I was kind of surprised at your 2.5. But, I agree....the area could use a beginner course. Maybe pull some families off of Indy or HM on a Sat afternoon.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1956  
Old 11-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Countchunkula's Avatar
Countchunkula Countchunkula is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 185
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,708
Niced 944 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Guessing that baskets have been pulled at Toboggan by now.

I had a rare weekday off in late October and was considering making the trek. Just too much driving for one day though. Went to Peoria and got my a$$ kicked by Northwood Black instead.

I've wanted to play Toboggan for years now, but it really didn't make sense for me this time. 5 hour vs 9 hour round trip should have allowed for a lot more golf. My legs didn't get the memo though. Did a 9 hole warmup, 18 holes at Northwood Black (shorts, but still easily top 3 for hardest course I've played), and then limped through 10 at McNaughton before giving up. First time I can remember cutting a round short for a reason other than prior commitments, lightning, or complete darkness. Left knee was screaming at me and I was getting slower every hole.

Anyway back on topic: Really hoping the powers that be liked the results of having Toboggan open all of October. If so, I'll be sure to get a couple days off and make the trip next year.

Reply With Quote
  #1957  
Old 11-06-2021, 09:03 AM
Nick Pacific's Avatar
Nick Pacific Nick Pacific is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 700
Niced 979 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
Anyway back on topic: Really hoping the powers that be liked the results of having Toboggan open all of October. If so, I'll be sure to get a couple days off and make the trip next year.
If you're planning a trip from far away like you are October is a WAY better time to play the Tobog than the summer months. The shule is still a problem but not as bad, the weather and humidity obviously by October is far better too. But also there is a lot less of the ticks come mid October. Unfortunately the Tobog comes with ticks so always keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Just took a quick drive over to Boardman Park in Taylor. It is listed on DGS already. This is what I found.

Course does not have baskets, at this time. Tee pads have been poured and are huge and look great. The park seems to be clay based and was holding water in Nov. Looks like a canal of sorts has been dug around part of the park to manage drainage. It has been very wet, so this may change seasonally. Holes seem to work around the parameter of the park, making use of a nice hill. There is a walking path that seems to come into play, but it was hard to see the exact flow for lack of baskets. Pro and Am pads on most holes. There is a picnic shelter and playground on site. Looks as if it is dog friendly. (obviously on a leash and cleaned up after) There were garbage cans in the park. This area is begging for a course and this looks to be more than a pitch and putt venture. The holes looked interesting and longs seems to present a challenge. I am dying to give this course a play. I will try to update, when baskets are put in place. Going South on Telegraph, turn right on Haskell St, right before Home Impressions Furniture, past Tim Horton's.
Very cool thanks. A lot of standing water in the Google homepage pics for the park, reviewers also said the park does have a mosquito problem. That might be part of the reason why it's not a very busy park (per the reviews) despite the location. Either way it's another course in my radius so bring it on, we are all used to getting less than ideal land and parts of parks that aren't suitable for much else besides throwing frisbees.

Reply With Quote
  #1958  
Old 11-06-2021, 09:19 AM
Central Scrutinizer Central Scrutinizer is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,311
Niced 1,533 Times in 583 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
If you're planning a trip from far away like you are October is a WAY better time to play the Tobog than the summer months. The shule is still a problem but not as bad, the weather and humidity obviously by October is far better too. But also there is a lot less of the ticks come mid October. Unfortunately the Tobog comes with ticks so always keep that in mind.
My son and I made the 2+ hour trip over to Toboggan for an October round with BogeyNoMore and it was WAY, WAY better than playing it in the thick of summer. If they continue to put the baskets in for Octobers in the future, we'll be making an annual trek for sure!

Reply With Quote
  #1959  
Old 11-29-2021, 11:20 PM
DFrah DFrah is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 119
Niced 277 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
Another new course apparently opening this weekend in South Haven area. 9,600 ft!
https://www.lakearvestafarms.com/discgolf
Found a recent flythrough of this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnZO7kvsho

I just added it to the directory. I'll see you in the spring...on the short tees.

Reply With Quote
 

  #1960  
Old 11-30-2021, 12:06 AM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 39.1
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,357
Niced 8,537 Times in 2,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
Found a recent flythrough of this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnZO7kvsho

I just added it to the directory. I'll see you in the spring...on the short tees.
Hole 1....a 575' water carry?????? With a sketchy bail out?

Par threes look to be forehand lines only?

The course is a behemoth. Nice mix of more open than wooded. Some cool landscaping around the pins. Lots of water in play. Looks like a stunning piece of property.

Annual party out past Kzoo every August, guess I will take Friday off.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Course Updates thrembo Disc Golf Courses 5 10-24-2017 04:51 PM
Course Condition Updates air show General Disc Golf Chat 9 09-09-2016 09:09 AM
Michigan Disc Golf Store Updates apparition General Disc Golf Chat 60 05-07-2013 09:00 AM
Worlds updates dmbrun2 Tournaments & Leagues 1833 07-28-2012 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.