Old 05-19-2018, 10:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

Lots of good recommendations but I'll ad my own. My main mids are Lucid Verdict, Gold Line Claymore, and Elite Z Archer, OS to US. I also bag a couple Comets but they don't get nearly as much use as the others. I like tweeners too, so if you're looking for a speed 6, consider a Kaxe Z, reliably OS but not crazy so and goes a long way.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing but cage View Post
Im looking at a kind of similar situation. Currently trying a comet and gila mid set up but I just am not confident with the way the comet feels in the hand.

Anyways the lineup I was looking into trying is Justice, eMac truth, premac truth, evidence/tursas. Might go verdict as opposed to justice but idk yet
Have you ever tried a Fuse? It has a lot of similarities with Comets, but with a more modern Buzzz-like shape. They probably have newer molds that are along the same lines as the Fuse, haven't kept up with trilogy well.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Have you ever tried a Fuse? It has a lot of similarities with Comets, but with a more modern Buzzz-like shape. They probably have newer molds that are along the same lines as the Fuse, haven't kept up with trilogy well.
The only fuse I got to throw was absolutely beat and was a bit too touchy. Thinking about giving the evidence a shot.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

The Fuse is still a fantastic disc. If you want one you can really lay into your best bet is an Opto, the heavier the better. The Tursas is really similar. Evidence is great too. It's like a less speed sensitive Meteor. It feels the most like a Buzzz out of those three, are dead straight new and develop some predictable turn as they beat in. Pretty similar to a Claymore.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 106
Niced 102 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
That's not how it works at all.

Plus no Roc thrower would throw their perfectly tuned Roc near water.
Sure the way it looked to me when I started, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
For me, part of the fun of (admittedly casual) disc golf is trying new stuff. As I've accumulated too much plastic, I like trying it, in rounds as much as in the field. That means my bag has a number of flexible spots where I can throw in stuff I don't usually bag.

Don't get me wrong. I have my go-to discs, most if which I've owned since I got back into the game a few years ago. Sometimes throwing new stuff just helps me realize how well I'm doing with my trusty discs: original Z Buzzz, Star Teebird, Ti Zone, ESP Surge... Other times the new stuff does great, so it ends up in the bag more or less permanently, even replacing some other discs.

In the end, it's personal preference/style. I do agree with the thought that growing with premium plastic discs as they season (very slowly) has its advantages. But that's my personal preference. I think hyperbole and some personal conflicts are fueling most of this thread.

Oh yeah. Back to mids...
...given that I, too, have accumulated some plastic, and like to try it, it still looks the same to me. For years, the "lowest" quality plastic that I have regularly carried is R-Pro, and that is a Polecat and/or Dart. I hate what pavement and rocks do to discs. I hate having radical changes to the discs. I don't want to have to remember where the stability of a disc is among a stack of discs of the same mold.

For several years now my mids lineup has been:
A MVP Vector, trading back and forth between a yellow Proton and a red Neutron;
Either a white Star Shark or a red Champ King Cobra;
One of 3 Makos/Mako3 of different color and weight, both Champ and Star;
Either a black Neutron or a red Proton Axis;
And a Z Comet in the 162-164g. This is getting more and more work
The last couple of rounds I have added in a DGA Tremor, courtesy of DiscMember subscription. I expect this to take over for the Comet at higher altitudes, and to be a more easily flipped mid at normal altitude. It is in a fantastic special, grippy premium blend.

The colors are often why I switch in and out discs of the same mold due to changes in seasons.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts

In the way of selecting a mold for that stable slot between mako3/comet and mortar, I took 8 discs out to the field last evening to put them through their paces. They were as follows:

Fuz Verdict 177g
Lucid Verdict 174g
MD4 180g
BigZ Buzzz OS 177+g
Z Wasp 177+g
RocX3 180g
Ti Buzzz 175-176g
Buzzz SS 175-176g

The buzzz and SS were form barometers. These all performed very similarly, but some trends emerged. the MD4 and RX3 had similar flights with lower glide on the spectrum of discs I tested in the sense that they had a dump fade. Rating both 4.5/3.5/0/3. Buzzz OS was similar in glide but speedier, 5/3.5/0/3 - this one was the domiest BOS I have seen. Verdicts flew like verdicts, very long for an OS mid, still solidly OS for my arm and when fresh, 5/4/0/3. The Wasp was the standout performer of the group - solidly stable, but surprising glide and a fade that hooked up later in flight, 5/4.5/0/2.5.

At this point the clear winner between discs I own is the Z Wasp - keep in mind I'm not saying this is the best of the bunch for everyone, just that it may slot the best between a mortar and comet in my case. I will throw it in the bag and test it alongside my Roc3 and see which one wins out. I would also like to try a Pine as mentioned previously, as those verdicts flew very nice, just too OS for what I'm looking for here.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 932 Times in 509 Posts

Took a minimal bag out yesterday evening with a Wasp/Comet mid combo along with a Zone/Atom putter combo. Had light winds so I forced myself to throw the Comet on different lines, I need to fo this more often. Didn't miss the Envy, Buzzz or Quake.

I have several Comets in most plastics and I prefer a plain old Z at 174g. Stable but I will easily hold an anny line.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

I just pair a Z Comet with a Pinnacle Ghost and I am good to go. Since Pinnacle Ghosts are annoying to track down in my area, I will probably switch over to Z Wasps once I lose my last Ghost.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
I just pair a Z Comet with a Pinnacle Ghost and I am good to go. Since Pinnacle Ghosts are annoying to track down in my area, I will probably switch over to Z Wasps once I lose my last Ghost.
Funny you mention a Z wasp - tried the Z Wasp alongside a Star Roc3 last night. As it turns out, they fly very, very similarly. I have decided to bag the Wasp because although I did not get a chance to throw into a headwind, I expect the Wasp would perform more reliably.

I would still like to try a Pine.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 141 Times in 87 Posts

All Discraft would be the way to go for this, and you have plenty of options:

OS- pick one: Drone/ Hornet/ Buzzz OS/ Wasp/ Zone
Stable/workhorse- Buzzz all the way, grab a couple of Z's and you're golden. Can mess around with different plastics and weights for intermediate stabilities but a regular old Z will be the core for sure.
US- pick one: Meteor/ Comet/ Buzzz SS

Niced: (1)