Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,111 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
I see a lot of pros and ams place their marker down and then put the previously thrown disc just in front of it. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?
It would have to be a few feet out, in front of their lie before I would be concerned. But to be honest, they should not be putting anything between the lie and the basket. Most players I have played with, including myself, put the previous disc off to the side, out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 187 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
It would have to be a few feet out, in front of their lie before I would be concerned. But to be honest, they should not be putting anything between the lie and the basket. Most players I have played with, including myself, put the previous disc off to the side, out of the way.
yea, I meant more like what Chris Dickerson does here:

I guess timestamps don't work when embedding. it happens at 5:21

I've never seen what you're describing happen in casual play or tournament play, in person or online
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,362 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

The biggest question would be if the item is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed. So if you put a disc in between your lie and the basket, ESPECIALLY for a putt or an approach shot where you just need to hit the line early on, I'm going to ask you to remove it. I would just give a warning the first time but the 2nd time, sure I'm calling it.
Just because you place it in front of you doesn't mean you have done so "as a directional aid". I have seen hundreds if not thousands of instances of placing the previously thrown disc in front of the marker- not once have I thought someone was using it as a directional aid.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 72
Niced 295 Times in 160 Posts

So is the rule "813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed." Really needed?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Just because you place it in front of you doesn't mean you have done so "as a directional aid". I have seen hundreds if not thousands of instances of placing the previously thrown disc in front of the marker- not once have I thought someone was using it as a directional aid.
This was my thought as well. The rule isn't a prohibition on any objects infront of the lie. Only things placed "as a directional aid".

What's the history behind the directional aid rule? Did people run up the fairway to spot blind baskets and then drop their bag to mark the line?

In what situations would a directional aid be actually useful? And how often do these situations occur?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,362 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
So is the rule "813.02 Illegal Device : Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed." Really needed?
From a theoretical perspective probably yes. From a practical perspective probably no. I would be interested to know the reasoning behind it to begin with though per Conrad.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,970 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I never understood the need for it. I've been in situations where I, or a player in my group, is in a blind spot on a hole, and got turned around enough to not know which direction the basket was. It's kinda time consuming when the thrower walks up, visualizes the target, walks back, loses his place, walks back up, walks back, etc.

In such cases, by rule, setting a bag or a towel on the ground for aiming purposes is illegal. But if another player lines himself up between the thrower and the target to point the thrower in the right direction, then ducks out of the way before the throw, that's fine. Obviously it's not physically placing an object but it's done in the same spirit as placing the object, so why shouldn't it be treated the same way?

Absent a rule disallowing it, players that place an object as a visual aid run the risk of hitting the object with their throw, which introduces potential interference penalties. That seems a reasonable enough deterrent to me.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 187 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I never understood the need for it. I've been in situations where I, or a player in my group, is in a blind spot on a hole, and got turned around enough to not know which direction the basket was. It's kinda time consuming when the thrower walks up, visualizes the target, walks back, loses his place, walks back up, walks back, etc.

In such cases, by rule, setting a bag or a towel on the ground for aiming purposes is illegal. But if another player lines himself up between the thrower and the target to point the thrower in the right direction, then ducks out of the way before the throw, that's fine. Obviously it's not physically placing an object but it's done in the same spirit as placing the object, so why shouldn't it be treated the same way?

Absent a rule disallowing it, players that place an object as a visual aid run the risk of hitting the object with their throw, which introduces potential interference penalties. That seems a reasonable enough deterrent to me.
bolded situation would likely be a time violation, even though they are almost literally never called

underlined situation, like you pointed out, would violate 810 Interference section G. so it's not "fine":
"Players must not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur."
Old 11-28-2019, 10:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
yea, I meant more like what Chris Dickerson does here:

I guess timestamps don't work when embedding. it happens at 5:21

I've never seen what you're describing happen in casual play or tournament play, in person or online
Nah, that's nothing that I personally would ever think of calling, like I said, the disc or object, towel, etc, would have to be a few feet in front of the lie to get my attention.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Totally depends how far in front of your lie. Inches..no big deal. A few feet...I'm starting to wonder why it's there.