Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 247 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
He's at the top of the CCDG fastest throw list too. 78 mph during a round. 77 multiple times too.
Has Simon been in any of the rounds where you all used the radar gun? Would love to know what kind of speed he throws during a round.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 679 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Has Simon been in any of the rounds where you all used the radar gun? Would love to know what kind of speed he throws during a round.
Yup, round 2 Memorial this year.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,477 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
As for guts...I know as much as you I think. And I assume they didn't fully understand who Simon is, or they have very little care for their bodies.

I think he was on a card with radar, I think his velocity is like the exact same. These are outtakes from him doing this clip to hit certain speeds. The 64MPH he throws super casually is harder than 98% of golfers can hit. He is smashing a 360 with I assume a normal weight disc to get near 85. So I would think he's in the same range as Eagle with 74-78 for "normal" drives. While I get Eagle and Simon throw the same-ish velocity on golf shots, I just don't know how Eagle's full power 360 compares as Simon really ups his velocity on those.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 632 Times in 239 Posts

So the warehouse video was the day before we embarked on the Flying Circus Tour. Those are the discs he threw the fastest, 110g discs from Hero, I can't remember the exact mold but they kinda look like bigger Sonics.

The Guts video is from the 2015 Collegiate National Championships, they have a Guts tournament and pizza party in the barn at the Hippodrome where the schools can form their teams and compete. Also there for a demonstration was the US National team, and the winner out of the collegiate ranks got to do a promotional match against them. Well since Simon and I were there they asked Simon to help them attempt to beat the world record for fastest Guts throw, which stipulates that you have to catch the disc with 1 hand...as you can see a couple of the discs broke on impact...and yes that's me unexpectedly MC'ing the thing.

I tried, for fun, to catch a Simon "75%" Guts throw and as a result my hand was sore for 3 days.

So yes the 108 (and he broke 100 mph 4-5 other times on the tour) was with a 110g on a 360, but trust me nobody was even getting close when we gave them the same discs. Maybe 2 people hit 90mph with those. I can't remember his fastest throw with a golf disc but I believe it was mid 90's.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 9 Posts

Usually in a GUTS comp, the first receiver to touch the disc is trying to tip it up not catch it.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 168 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rock View Post
Usually in a GUTS comp, the first receiver to touch the disc is trying to tip it up not catch it.
Competition, yes; but for the world record the catch must be clean with no bobbles.