Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 358 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
How do you go with the grip pressure Bradley? Do you gradually build it to hit or keep same pressure throughout the throw?

I haven't been able to get my arc to my front side yet but sometimes feel like the disc slips a little when it's more on the front side.

That is GOOD!!! That means you are doing it right. Of course it wants to slip, you are applying more force than ever.

I am going to redefine disc golf instruction. I have decided. Video evidence shows that the classic teachings are simply wrong in the modern era.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,877 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Yeah, Danny was doing the wall drill incorrectly. You’re supposed to do the drill at the end of the wall, so the arc can swing where the wall would be. Still a great drill for straightening out issues with rounding.
I like it to help straighten up your posture and keep the backswing and transition inside(stop rounding early).

No drill is perfect. That's why they are drills and exaggerate certain parts of the throw.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 09-25-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Personally I grip loosely from start (not to tighten muscles, especially those I will not use in forward vaction, the "antagonists"), then gradually increase pressure. I realize when now trying to swing like Bradley says, I have to grip much much harder then I am used to. Grip lock? No!; I cannot hold the disc, it releases nicely. It is tons of more swing weight in this action... Now I must practice again... kind of square 1 (again)...but funny thing also is that it seems already more consistent in terms of release direction...but maybe next week I am in the trees again... I have patience though, preparing for next season :-)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Birdie Member

[QUOTE=Peder;3357069]but funny thing also is that it seems already more consistent in terms of release direction.../QUOTE]

YES!!!

Because a wide arc throw is NATURAL. It is a throw, which is a perfectly natural action.

Not trying to start a lawn mower. Which is just weird.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ahh... Thanks Bradley! I am even more inspired now, to practice and improve. "lawn mower" (ha ha!!)

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 109 Times in 64 Posts

Great thread. I've been trying to apply this technique for the last couple weeks, and I'm definitely seeing some gains. Still not quite right, but getting close.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 58 Times in 47 Posts

Good to see you back, Brad! I remember you back on DGR. I used a different username (sunspot) back then.

This new video cleared up some confusion I had concerning the closed shoulder. I was definitely doing the "chicken wing" throw without realizing that it was creating a small arc. Seeing and feeling the difference between the open and closed shoulder is a huge difference.

Anyway, can't wait to get some practice in.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 63 Times in 48 Posts

Great to see you back in action BW! I still bag a disc with a lever sharpied on it after watching your snap vids.

In that video, you talked about some discs not liking to be snapped hard. Throwing a disc like that, are you just pointing less left?

I disagree that "classic teaching" is the culprit. The earliest advice I remember getting was to utilize the reverse R lever, which seems to be what you're explaining how to do.

It was also early I read about pushing the thumb into an upward position to get more grip pressure and nose down.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Birdie Member

https://www.facebook.com/ProAthleteD...3319888172469/

Never pulls tight to chest and hits wide arc extension at 10 oclock.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 PM

Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

Small arc thrower here, and this thread made me realize it. That last video you did Bradley opened my eyes completely. I simply didn't understand how speed and power were created as I throw. I thought you turned your body, closed the shoulder, pulled the disc to your chest and flung your arm out towards the target. That got me to 250' and really frustrated. Haha.

I should get some field time this weekend and I'm really excited. Gonna start slow. But now I have a direction to focus on.

PS Bradley, I repair tube amps for my local guitar shop. I started modding my own, got asked to bias some amps for people and suddenly people are calling me a tech (which I never accept, as it is not true). I've learned a lot and am actually half designing my own amp based off a fender bassman 10 I acquired for a decent price. At this point I'm pretty busy with it as my side "job" though so who knows when they will get done. I'd be really interested in the details of your builds, though obviously no secrets need to be revealed. Haha

Cheers and thanks to everybody for talking about this stuff enough so people can learn.