Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default Forehand form critique, more power?

https://youtu.be/8z3XJvm3HiQ

Clip is filmed last year, but I still throw the same. I'm getting 130m at hyzer flip line, this particular throw was around 120m. I only get this amount of power if I throw the disc in a hyzer angle. When I throw more stable discs with a flat release, the disc speed drops. I can throw my overstable Champion Wraith around 110m with flat release and almost the same with pure hyzer. Any ideas how to get more power with flat release?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,759 Times in 1,183 Posts

Well you have a crusher forehand, a good 10+m on me, but I can see you go through the "inverted W" position from the 4-5 second mark. If you do some googling on that there are many articles with respect to baseball pitchers and that arm position. You get some disconnect and maybe more torque to your elbow from what I understand.

You are also opening your front foot directly targetward as you plant. Again you have more FH power than me, so I'm just bringing things to your attention. I would look at how many sidearm pitchers or top level FH players open their foot that much rather than keeping it 10-20 degrees closed.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,207 Posts

Yeah, that backswing looks wicked. It starts out looking good, but then all the sudden you take the elbow back and twist it upward just before you plant. The elbow and disc becomes disconnected from the shoulders and body.

You want to keep your elbow moving with the rest of body so it's always leveraged in front of the body. So your body turning is what should be bringing the elbow forward.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Well you have a crusher forehand, a good 10+m on me, but I can see you go through the "inverted W" position from the 4-5 second mark. If you do some googling on that there are many articles with respect to baseball pitchers and that arm position. You get some disconnect and maybe more torque to your elbow from what I understand.

You are also opening your front foot directly targetward as you plant. Again you have more FH power than me, so I'm just bringing things to your attention. I would look at how many sidearm pitchers or top level FH players open their foot that much rather than keeping it 10-20 degrees closed.
Hmm, so I should keep my elbow in front all the way? I feel like I get more power if I do it that way. I should try to focus on that.

I need to take a look on how I plant my foot. Again, I feel like doing it that way makes it easier, but I have never really tried to plant it closed.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah, that backswing looks wicked. It starts out looking good, but then all the sudden you take the elbow back and twist it upward just before you plant. The elbow and disc becomes disconnected from the shoulders and body.

You want to keep your elbow moving with the rest of body so it's always leveraged in front of the body. So your body turning is what should be bringing the elbow forward.

So keeping my elbow in front would help with getting more power from my body? Now I feel like I'm using mostly my hand.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,759 Times in 1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
Hmm, so I should keep my elbow in front all the way? I feel like I get more power if I do it that way. I should try to focus on that.

I need to take a look on how I plant my foot. Again, I feel like doing it that way makes it easier, but I have never really tried to plant it closed.
Yeah in front of the shoulder slightly. It can feel snappy or really wound up to do the inverted W, but if you keep the upper arm/elbow leveraged with your shoulders the whole time then it should just feel simpler and get the forearm/disc loading back from the start of the backswing, which is the goal.

Play around with the plant angle, you don't have to be super closed but you can see in the video the foot is like 20 degrees closed during your last plant foot stride until you are about to plant heel-toe, when it opens up. I don't know if it is doing anything negative for you though, the time when it would be negative is if it pre-opens your lead hip.