Old 02-14-2019, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 446 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
PSA: Jussi is our interview on The Upshot this week, which we will be recording here shortly. If you have questions you'd like answered post them here in the next 10-15 minutes, I'll keep refreshing the thread.
Would you consider a hot dog to be a sandwich?
Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,144 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Would you consider a hot dog to be a sandwich?
Just the thought of that disgusts me. That's a real character question.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 258 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I'm pretty sure Horsman throws HARD, and Trilogy stuff does have a very quick initial break in. Then I think it holds steady. I can definitely see how for someone with big power this is a minus, although there are enough OS molds out in Trilogy lines that you can get around that.

For the more normal player, the Trilogy plastics break in in a way that they can actually see. Not like playing 25 days a month while throwing 65+MPH to break in champ plastic. Plus they have good hand feel for most and lots of the molds have good glide. So the properties I see big arms maybe not liking are also the properties that a lot of disc golfers want. I don't think "inferior" is the right term, but less stable/durable is true IME. That said I have lots of Trilogy molds in the bag and several have been in there for many seasons.
I was merely trying to point out that he posts that sentiment a lot, and already had done so multiple times in this thread. I totally understand why some people dislike the Swedish plastic (although I personally love it for the reasons you stated). Wasn't arguing his sentiment, just pointing out its redundancy.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 258 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Disc companies don't have patents on mold shapes.
Wow. Are you sure about this? If true, then this is crazy. And it makes me wonder why a company would spend a bunch of money on RDT&E when someone else could steal their mold design with no legal repercussions.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 80
Niced 182 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Wow. Are you sure about this? If true, then this is crazy. And it makes me wonder why a company would spend a bunch of money on RDT&E when someone else could steal their mold design with no legal repercussions.
Patents have to represent something new, unique, and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art in question. So breakthrough new designs like the beveled-edge disc versus the old lid style could be patented (now expired). But you can’t patent design modifications like making a disc a little bigger/smaller, a little more or less curved here or there, with or without a bead, etc. It has to be something different enough to not be obvious.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,144 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
How many companies have tried to copy the Teebird? Apparently it's not so simple.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,176 Times in 553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Patents have to represent something new, unique, and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art in question. So breakthrough new designs like the beveled-edge disc versus the old lid style could be patented (now expired). But you can’t patent design modifications like making a disc a little bigger/smaller, a little more or less curved here or there, with or without a bead, etc. It has to be something different enough to not be obvious.
You can only protect the design/disc name, plastic line and your brand. Thus, the importance of branding and marketing in an increasingly commoditized global market.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:17 PM
Par Member

Niced 83 Times in 34 Posts

WE NEED BBQ TALK IN HERE

Old 02-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 64
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I'm pretty sure Horsman throws HARD, and Trilogy stuff does have a very quick initial break in.
I noticed this as well. The swords I used to throw would get unpredictably flippy after about a month. I just keep a fresh one in the car in case I loose my beat to straight wraith, but I'm not sponsored and buying a new disc all the time just so I can unload the ones that got flippy in a month doesn't make sense. I also had a few other trilogy molds that came very pop top brand new, and randomly had the flight plate puddle from routine transportation in the car during the summer (and I live in NY). Maybe I just got unlucky with the few trilogy discs I tried. The only one that has stood the test of time was an old giant I got before the trilogy rebrand. That thing is money.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 2,588 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
WE NEED BBQ TALK IN HERE
Mustard based > All

Niced: (1)