YMMV obviously as always.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 62 Times in 29 Posts

I'm late to the metal flake md3 bandwagon but got out today with one and a luster md3. I loved the metal flake, straight with minor fade. Almost canned an ace on its third throw. The luster definitely had more fade to it. I'm 100% ok with it not being crazy overstable, if that's what I'm needing I'll throw a zone or firebird depending on distance. Straight with a healthy reliable fade is about as beefy as I like to get with mids and the luster will fill that role just fine.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
As a 'murican, gotta say, love that accent! lol Thanks for the review and video. I've been looking for a more OS MD3, looks like Luster might be worth a look.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 105 Times in 66 Posts

on accent. Are you saying its Finnish or what? I work in a american english speaking environment and try to use colloqualisms like a native. Was a student of english philology for major way back for 5 years. Read almost exclusively in English. Its my other language I think in, if that makes sense, you know? Appreciate any feedback. Probably going to do more of these whenever i get a new mold/plastic in my hands.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I really wanted to like the MD3 as it is marked as a Stable to OS mid and it feels a lot like my beloved Auroras. I've given several different plastic types a chance over the last 8 months or so, but have given up and returned to Rocs.

What I've tried:
2x CMD3 stock stamp
1x SMD3 swirly
1x Flat/Glow CMD3
1x Luster CMD3

My favorite by far were the stock stamp CMD3. They both started off stable/overstable and flew much like a heavy DX Roc out of the box. The first one I owned instantly made the bag, but wore in to straight rather quickly for a premium plastic disc. I heard about the glow flat tops and that they were supposedly more OS, so I purchased one to replace, and boy was that wrong. The first throw out of the box, on a slight hyzer, flipped and glided before a tiny bit of fade. Each throw after that was the same, and after only a handful of tries, this disc went on the shelf.

I then grabbed another stock CMD3, and really liked it, but just like the original, it was losing its extra stability rather quickly. So I heard about and purchased a luster plastic CMD3, and just like the Glow, it had discernible turn at high speed. I was thinking it could be some OAT on my end, but my Auroras don't turn unless I want them to, and they're beaten to understable at this point.

TL;DR
I really wanted to like this disc because it feels great, but I can't keep spending near $20 on discs that are supposed to be the "most os run yet" only to find my stock runs to out-OS them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like an MD4 is needed.. hopefully it will feel as good as the MD3.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by haier2 View Post
I really wanted to like the MD3 as it is marked as a Stable to OS mid and it feels a lot like my beloved Auroras. I've given several different plastic types a chance over the last 8 months or so, but have given up and returned to Rocs.

What I've tried:
2x CMD3 stock stamp
1x SMD3 swirly
1x Flat/Glow CMD3
1x Luster CMD3

My favorite by far were the stock stamp CMD3. They both started off stable/overstable and flew much like a heavy DX Roc out of the box. The first one I owned instantly made the bag, but wore in to straight rather quickly for a premium plastic disc. I heard about the glow flat tops and that they were supposedly more OS, so I purchased one to replace, and boy was that wrong. The first throw out of the box, on a slight hyzer, flipped and glided before a tiny bit of fade. Each throw after that was the same, and after only a handful of tries, this disc went on the shelf.

I then grabbed another stock CMD3, and really liked it, but just like the original, it was losing its extra stability rather quickly. So I heard about and purchased a luster plastic CMD3, and just like the Glow, it had discernible turn at high speed. I was thinking it could be some OAT on my end, but my Auroras don't turn unless I want them to, and they're beaten to understable at this point.

TL;DR
I really wanted to like this disc because it feels great, but I can't keep spending near $20 on discs that are supposed to be the "most os run yet" only to find my stock runs to out-OS them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like an MD4 is needed.. hopefully it will feel as good as the MD3.
My Luster C-MD3 is definitely the most OS MD3 that I've owned, I have several S-Line/Swirly that are just straight shooters with a decent fade in the tail, but can still be turned over with power. The 2x C-Lines I have don't have the turn, but are still not super beefy. However, the Luster is noticeably more toothy. It flies just like the flight numbers indicate. A perfect 5/5/0/3. It made the bag immediately.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 24 Times in 21 Posts

I was disappointed in the glow MD3s as well when I first threw one, expecting it to be like a beefy Roc. I've now thrown at least 8 different ones and every one is the same- dead straight with a slight fade at the finish. It is pretty much like a "beefy" Buzzz for me, I can throw it hard with a hyzer release, it will pop up to flat and just cruise before it drifts left (RHBH) as it slows down.

The C lines for me have been a little more overstable, not as much glide, and typically more domey. I don't like them as much because of the dome.

Lusters have been a good addition for my bag, they have all been flat and firmer than the glows with noticeably more fade at the finish. They aren't very similar to a fresh Roc in fade in my opinion.

P Line might be my favorite version though. Flat and firm and laser straight. Thrown with the slightest bit of hyzer they pop up and glide forever.

I'm throwing them about 325-345ft on golf lines. I can get more distance with more height, but don't usually push them much more than 360, unless I'm just messing around.

All that said- if you want to unload any glows or beat up P lines, hit me up.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I think Swirly S-Line and Luster are my favorites. The Swirly S-Line is SO damn workable on multiple lines - from anhyzer to flat, flat-to-flex, hyzerflip-straight, or powered-down hyzer lines. The Luster is just a solid overstable mid. It sticks to that hyzer/flat release angle and rides it with a solid fade when it slows down. Much, much closer (if not hitting the numbers) to the flight rating than other releases. The S-S-Lines are great for how they fly, but they're closer to a 5/5/-.5/2 The Lusters fly dead straight, then start to bite down and eat up the fade. For me, easily as overstable as a fresh Roc or Roc3, but feels better in my hand.

It could just be confirmation bias as I was closely tied to Discraft's employees in my early DG years and developed a chip on my shoulder for Innova, but somehow I can separate Discmania as a separate company. Anyway, the Luster MD3s fly like my C-Roc3s, and my S-S-MD3s fly like a seasoned Roc. So I'm in a good spot.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The Swirly I threw was just a single throw, I didn't really get a feel for it but I could tell it didn't have the fade I was looking for.

I can totally see the allure of the disc. If mine didn't wear in so quickly and I could find a beefy version of it I would definitely make it work.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I know I should not, but I have picked up a few just to test out. I have been playing long enough where I just need to settle down and be content with what I have. For the most part I have because most the discs currently in my bag have the history to support that they are indeed what I want to throw for a particular shot.

For this particular spot I am using a Verdict. Actually, until recently I was using the Truth, specifically the older BioFuzion and newer EMac Truths, but while they were perfect at moderate power, they became a little unreliable when powering them for distance. However, the Verdicts were not as overstable as I was hoping they would be so they could be paired with the Truths. It turns out, they are near perfect for what I wanted the Truths to be. They hold a decently straight line with moderate power, but really excel when powered up.

I have numerous Verdicts, always for my obsession with having enough back-ups for practice, so I had no intention of using anything else.

Of course a friend put a MD3 in my hand, and assuming it was overstable, I threw a testing flight acting like it was. Instead of holding straight and then having a massive dumping fade, it held the anhyzer almost all the way and nearly aced a left to right tunnel shot. You know, once you almost ace with a disc, you assume that it must be the right disc for you.

Since then I picked up a Glow C, Metal Flake, and production C. Due to my 90% commitment to throw the Verdict, plus life getting the better of me and drastically reducing how often I can throw, I still only have limited throws with them. What I have seen is that they are just as straight and stable as my Verdict, but have almost no fade. That means if I miss my intended line, which occasionally happens, they stay right of the target, whereas the Verdict, with its more pronounced fade, is more likely to correct itself at the end. I also think the Verdict has better glide, but this is only against limited throws.

So, I have been watching here and waiting for the definitive reasons that I should convert over.