Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 92 Times in 59 Posts

i went ahead and scooped up an orange dx 170g since i couldnt find any heavies on dgc in the bright orange. hopefully it doesnt make a huge difference in flight but maybe it will be better for a straight approach/driving putter with more glide than the star i have. if it works good for that slot,i think the nova will come out as i have a hard time shaping lines with it sometimes. before the av3 i was throwing a seasoned tank/champ rhyno combo so it didnt take long for me to gauge the glide and distance potential with these av3.

has anyone noticed a difference in lighter 160/170s dx av3's vs max weights?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 92 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
I got a pink aviar3 at 170g. Do you all think it will hold or be too flippy? Anyone else throw one at or near 170g?
i threw a 172 stock stamp but it was purple,it flew straighter and held a turn a little longer but not much. i have not thrown any other weights other than max.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Niced 254 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haier2 View Post
...I could see a Star, Champ or even an R-Pro version pairing with my DX...
The magic 8 ball says the magic setup will be 2-3 DX and 1 Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
...has anyone noticed a difference in lighter 160/170s dx av3's vs max weights?
all mine are 175g. But a 150g is on the way
Old 05-01-2017, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 560 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haier2 View Post
I do agree with several other's opinions—the only weakness I've experienced with this disc is that its a bit hard to gauge the glide for approaches. I was hoping it could also knock out my OS hit-and-stick approach mold, but I've found myself with several uncharacteristic 30'+ putts while using the AV3 to approach.
Just a matter of getting to know the disc and getting used to it. I'm still working with mine in various wind conditions and various situations to figure out what it does. From the videos of the GBO, it looked like Paul McBeth has figured his Av3 out and had it dialed in on his approaches with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
I got a pink aviar3 at 170g. Do you all think it will hold or be too flippy? Anyone else throw one at or near 170g?
My pink Av3 is 175g, but from what I'm reading, the pink ones seem to be a bit more overstable and not flippy. I don't think color normally is an issue vis-a-vis stability, but if they had a run of pink discs that happen to be a bit more OS than other colors, then pink would be what to look for for the relatively OS disc (all this in Star plastic, btw; may not apply to the DX versions).

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 23 Times in 18 Posts

Today it was super windy out and upshotting with the av3 was great. A bit of umph, a low line, touch of anny and I was always close for my easy 3.

I really wanna rip it off the tee a bunch but havent played the right course yet.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Niced 22 Times in 8 Posts

Tried a couple 175 DX av3's. I prefer low profile putters and really liked how they felt in the hand. I putt with D-Line P3's and use C and S lines for driving putters/ up shots. Although I havent tried Star Av3's yet I imagine they will fly like S-line P3s. The main thing I was figuring out with the DX Av3's was if they will work as a straight to flippy driving/up shot putter once broken in. I use a Yeti for that shot now but looking for something that goes a little further. I really hope they make some stiff Pro Av3's that take longer to break in and stay at the desired spot longer. Pro Av3's would probably be faster and have more fade.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Niced 254 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
...I really hope they make some stiff Pro Av3's that take longer to break in and stay at the desired spot longer. Pro Av3's would probably be faster and have more fade.
Like KC Av3s? Or McPro Av3s?

What do you think about the DX Av3s? Do they fill the slot you want?

Personally, I would love some XT Av3s. You're probably right, they would have a touch more fade assuming DX PandA/ XT PandAs are good indicators. I don't think they would be any faster, though.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Niced 22 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Like KC Av3s? Or McPro Av3s?

What do you think about the DX Av3s? Do they fill the slot you want?

Personally, I would love some XT Av3s. You're probably right, they would have a touch more fade assuming DX PandA/ XT PandAs are good indicators. I don't think they would be any faster, though.
I was thinking a stiff KCPro type plastic. I feel like the Av3 will be my best chance to get a stiff low profile Pro plastic throwing putter I actually like.. if they decide to make it. I went from classic rocs to XDs to now P3s, all of which never have and probably never will come in Pro.

I'll have to throw them more to see but right now I'm sticking with the S-P3 for stable with harder fade, C-P3 for stable with longer fade, Yeti for straight and broken in old XD for flippy. Av3s feel awesome in the hand and I want them to fill the yeti and xd spots but will see.

I like the idea of XT and hope they make them but it's too grippy for me and I can't stand how they warp.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 138 Times in 75 Posts

Picked up a couple of DX Av3s (170g, 172g) to compare to my two Star Av3s. Played a round this morning throwing multiple approach shots/drives with these.

The DX feels nicer in hand to me. As others have reported, they do indeed have more glide. Once I adjusted for the glide, I was very happy with using these for approach shots.

Both Star and DX are great for low, fast, straight lines. Had some nice drives throwing these off the tee.

Will try carrying 1 Star, 2 DX in the bag for throwing putters, replacing my 1 KC, 2 Yeti setup.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 560 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
I was thinking a stiff KCPro type plastic. I feel like the Av3 will be my best chance to get a stiff low profile Pro plastic throwing putter I actually like.. if they decide to make it. I went from classic rocs to XDs to now P3s, all of which never have and probably never will come in Pro.

I'll have to throw them more to see but right now I'm sticking with the S-P3 for stable with harder fade, C-P3 for stable with longer fade, Yeti for straight and broken in old XD for flippy. Av3s feel awesome in the hand and I want them to fill the yeti and xd spots but will see.

I like the idea of XT and hope they make them but it's too grippy for me and I can't stand how they warp.
If I were going to putt with the Aviar3, I'd want it in nice, slick Pro plastic. But I'm only throwing with it, so Star plastic is very good for that.