Old 06-29-2017, 02:54 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Niced 751 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I feel comfortable with my notion that elitist has a negative connotation.

adjective
relating to or supporting the view that a society or system should be led by an elite.
"older men with an elitist attitude about music"
noun
a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.
"critics portray him as an out-of-touch elitist"
synonyms: aristocrat, blue blood; snob
"the elitists wield too much influence"
note the need to color the term "elitist" with "out-of-touch"... I made no such use and therefore used the denotative value of the word.

I disagree that "snob" is a true synonym... it is not... one needs to say "elitist snob" rather than just "elitist" or "snob"...

btw - I am an elitist but not a snob... not an elitist in the DGCR sense... but rather a political one... I support a very different political system that I won't go into here because it's just way off topic... join me in the politics forum for that rabbit hole
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Noill; 06-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 13 Posts

First, I appreciate all of the work that has gone into this site. It is a great resource that consumes more of my time than I would like to admit.

I use the course ratings in 2 ways currently. First, when I am travelling. It's very helpful to be able to read reviews of the courses in the area. Second, finding the very best courses to travel to, specifically for a disc golf vacation.

That said, I really like the idea of having multiple categories for ratings. Not because it is better than what the site already offers, but because it would be a great addition. I get that the system is supposed to be simple for users to review. Maybe have it as an optional add-on to a review, with optional comments in each category.

The main benefit for me would be sorting courses.

Let's say I want to create a bucket list of 100 courses. With the current system I can sort the top 100 rated courses and would probably have a good list.

If I could search with my set preferences in specific categories I would likely get a much better list according to my personal values.

The current system works very well when I am traveling for something other than disc golf because it isn't that big of a deal to sift through the bad/not helpful reviews for the few courses in the area.

It's not so easy to pick courses when you aren't limited to a few courses though. When you can pick from thousands of courses it would be helpful to sort them based on your personal preferences.

I have no idea of the cost/benefit, just my thoughts on the matter.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 707
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts

Must use random-effects model.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

When it happens, I'll accept it. Asking to be able to limit ratings and reviews to only the "most qualified" doesn't necessarily scream loss of one's self-importance to me (I'm not the one who wasted my money to change his title). I understand the reasoning. I just think it's funny that it's completely anti-DGCR's purpose but would somehow make the site better despite it still going strong after ten years.

It's alright though. I'll drop it. When this gets old, I hear par needs fixing too.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 850 Times in 576 Posts

I don't review courses because under the current system, I find it to be a lot of work to provide what people seemingly want to read. I went through the trouble on one course only to later find out no one will ever read it because the course is extinct even though it still exist and I still play it all the time.

I'd happily check off the boxes of the courses I've played though. Wish that could happen.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 PM
*Administrator*

heh... yeah, I find the par3 model to be the best one, but I get the counter to that... I just like adding pluses and minuses more than dealing with the minutiae of what is a par 4 or 5 exactly... but, hey, I'm a pure casual player and score matters less than fun factor...

anywhoo... here's what would make the most sense to me on-topic

rather than just say that this extra data is good... tell me how to implement it... it's like going to someone with an idea and no clue how to execute... non-starter there

also, justify the expense in time and labor to do this plan

Last edited by Noill; 06-29-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
e on-topic

rather that just say that this extra data is good... tell me how to implement it... it's like going to someone with an idea and no clue how to execute... non-starter there

also, justify the expense in time and labor to do this plan
I'm not an IT guy at all. I'll preface that.

You simply add in additional review options and you add in more search / sort options.

As far as justification, I can't justify the expense as I am not aware of the expense of revenue of the sight. The time and labor however was directly addressed in your first mission of the site.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
(I'm not the one who wasted my money to change his title).
In the roughly 8 years since I've been on here (minus the two year boycot), that is probably the first time you've ever made me laugh.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:44 PM
*Administrator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I'm not an IT guy at all. I'll preface that.

You simply add in additional review options and you add in more search / sort options.

As far as justification, I can't justify the expense as I am not aware of the expense of revenue of the sight. The time and labor however was directly addressed in your first mission of the site.
You don't have to be an IT guy for this... present the way that this hangs together... so, for example

this would be in an additional tab on the course page.
there would be a form fill available for members to select and fill out
these stats would be separate from the review system
the value add would be that the members who don't choose to do a review have another quick and easy option

the expense is simply time and labor and otherwise won't cost anything or shouldn't
It would take sometime for this new data to be useful as it is a new feature so give it a year or so to assess

etc... this is a very quick and dirty plan that I present here. It is not something I believe it but I offer it as an example plan.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:45 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

I fail to see the added value.