Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts

All the players putt on the same baskets during a tournament so no one has an advantage over another... but there is already a design with 0% spit outs. its called a tone pole.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamache8 View Post
What's the tye-dye disc that Paul mcbeth is throwing on hole 4 in round 4 on CCDG coverage?
Per the commentators, it's a Star Roc3.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspot View Post
All the players putt on the same baskets during a tournament so no one has an advantage over another... but there is already a design with 0% spit outs. its called a tone pole.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

Here's my take on spit outs. You've got a ton of variables on a putt coming into a basket...velocity, spin, firmness of disc, shape of disc, hyzer (or anhyzer) angle, nose up, nose down, etc. The combination of ALL of those variables paired with the design of the basket can make one type of putt more prone to not staying in when the putt hits a part of the chains that you'd think should catch. I personally don't think we need baskets that catch EVERYTHING. Good putts should stick, poor ones shouldn't. If your putting style isn't advantageous on a particular type of basket then the player needs to make adjustments.

Ricky and Nikko's putts usually come in on a good hyzer line. I putt with a hyzer too, and use firmer putters. From my own experience it seems like if a putt is coming in dead center on a hyzer and hits enough chains to stand it upright where it's easy to slide all the way through the back. Same principal as why you might throw a tomahawk through the woods...vertical disc might make it through a gap easier. I prefer to putt on a hyzer, and sometimes I get cut throughs as a consequence. If I'm that worried about it then I should probably putt flatter or maybe go to a softer putter that absorbs impact and drops. There's just pros and cons to any putting style.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,286 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Most likely someone already mentioned this, but I find hole 6 to be an extremely dull hole to watch. It is the 897 ft par 4 banana shaped hole played entirely on this huge flat field with out-of-bounds all the way around.

The problem is that when I am watching online I can't really see the out-of-bounds ropes that are way off in the distance. Thus, the hole simply looks like a huge open field. So, when a player throws, the disc just goes way out there into the middle of a field. When I follow the disc, I have no idea if the disc is headed towards inbounds or out-of-bounds. And, after watching several of these throws, having no way to see for myself what is happening, I just give up on trying to follow the disc.
And, I then find myself becoming disengaged.

Add to this the mundane throws that are routinely made on this hole. Hyzer, followed by yet another hyzer, where one almost cannot tell the difference the two throws. I'm sorry, but this is boring.

If there is a moment during a sporting event where the viewer believes that watching will not matter, then that moment needs to be changed, because there is a risk of losing viewers.
Yeah I couldn't figure out where the OB was either. I was baffled that all the pros were playing it so conservatively since the camera made it look like you could just short cut the elbow with big power hyzers. There was something amiss about that hole that the footage wasn't getting across, to me at least.

I want to give props to hole 3's design. Looked like a fairly non-descript, mediocre hole you'd find anywhere in your city park but it looked like it really spread the scores around (Steve West might jump in and correct me). And it didn't look like it just randomly rewarded luck either.

I geek out over course design as much as anybody but jeez, I was really getting tired of TD Nate talking about the course incessantly for every round. At some point, you guys can feel free to talk about the action instead of what level of difficulty said hole is or what percentage of players birdie it or whatever.

I thought the baskets were janky. The chains looked really light and any basket that spits out tap-ins because they hit central enough to hit the pole are undesirable to me. Putts that hit center with any general velocity associated with a putting motion should not bounce out IMO. That's too random b/c not all dead center putts are getting rejected.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

I haven't been following the basket talk closely. But I get the gist. Watching ccdg new round 4 part 2 and Ricky's putt on hole 10 was dead nuts and spit straight right back out, again. ****ty

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

AAND THEN IMMEDIATLEY AGAIN ON THE NEXT HOLE 11!

What the ****

Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 90 Times in 44 Posts

looks like an impossible lefty course, and i saw that Devan Owens placed like 50th and Melton was 14 over for the tournament. Anybody know who the top finishing lefty was??

Old 08-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 707
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Most likely someone already mentioned this, but I find hole 6 to be an extremely dull hole to watch. It is the 897 ft par 4 banana shaped hole played entirely on this huge flat field with out-of-bounds all the way around.
The course is saturated with boring holes. But at least it makes for good viewing, all that's left is finding people who will sit through the whole show.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

First Fiesta Lakes at Memorial, then Ledgestone.

Last edited by AzteC; 08-09-2017 at 04:37 AM.