Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,756 Times in 843 Posts

I watched but I regret it. Forgot how much I hate ESPN and its endless cast of douchey punditry. If being on ESPN is what is needed for disc golf to go big time then I don't want it to go big time. Imagining the future of turning on ESPN in the morning and seeing two old men shouting at each other over LeBron vs McBeth as the GOAT is terrifying.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 350
Niced 421 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGACESdotCOM View Post
Watching the clip on ESPN is going to get the attention of the ESPN team and make them want to publish more content about Disc Golf and therefore grow the sport. It's all about the analytics. Watching the video via the link above is just a little we can do to help the sport grow.
I love how it's just assumed that we want all that.

If ESPN (and pretty much any online entity that puts videos up on their site) wants people to watch on their site or app, then perhaps they should get a player that isn't buffering for two minutes, before playing five seconds of unsynced crap, followed by two more minutes of buffering. People default to YouTube because it's relatively reliable.

It was a cool clip, but if anyone thinks this was a game changer, or thinks that watching this clip on ESPN's site could result in one, you've got a combined case of fringe sport inferiority complex mingling with "ESPN is God!" on the brain.

And again, many of us are so over this "grow the sport" mantra. Stop please.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 147
Niced 354 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I love how it's just assumed that we want all that.
And again, many of us are so over this "grow the sport" mantra. Stop please.
Seriously. It seems to me much of the "we need to grow the sport until it explodes" crowd are relatively newer players that just discovered DG in the last few years. I have news for them--the sport has already exploded. There's a downside to too-rapid growth, so we need to just take it easy. No need to rush, the growth rate right now is just fine.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I watched but I regret it. Forgot how much I hate ESPN and its endless cast of douchey punditry. If being on ESPN is what is needed for disc golf to go big time then I don't want it to go big time. Imagining the future of turning on ESPN in the morning and seeing two old men shouting at each other over LeBron vs McBeth as the GOAT is terrifying.
Fortunately, ESPN is not what disc golf needs. In fact, I think disc golf is well ahead of the curve in the aspect of using youtube and livestreams for coverage. Cable TV is dying, streaming and on-demand are the future (I cut the cord 6 years ago and don't miss it one bit so I may be biased )

Old 07-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 208 Times in 135 Posts

Youtube is the way to go, and get to the kids too. You can pay for adds to be placed on videos about our sport and maybe you can get people to notice.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 349 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Fortunately, ESPN is not what disc golf needs. In fact, I think disc golf is well ahead of the curve in the aspect of using youtube and livestreams for coverage. Cable TV is dying, streaming and on-demand are the future (I cut the cord 6 years ago and don't miss it one bit so I may be biased )
I agree, MLB started broadcasting games on facebook this year.

"This partnership with Facebook reflects the ongoing commitment of Major League Baseball and our Clubs to connect with people around the world," said Tony Petitti, Deputy Commissioner of Business and Media for Major League Baseball. "It is a major creative step forward in serving our diverse, passionate community of fans, who will enjoy a uniquely interactive experience watching our games on Facebook each week."
Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1340
Niced 403 Times in 169 Posts

People still pay for cable?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 349 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
People still pay for cable?
The Comcast Corporation generated revenue of over 84.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2017, an increase of over 4 billion U.S. dollars on the previous year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-in-the-us/

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1340
Niced 403 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
The Comcast Corporation generated revenue of over 84.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2017, an increase of over 4 billion U.S. dollars on the previous year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-in-the-us/
The hell...

I live in a bubble. I don't know a single person that has cable, it's a fairly common topic of discussion in my circles "I haven't had cable since 2003"

I mean, besides the bars - and I assume that's mostly satellite (is that all lumped together in this discussion of "cable" I have no idea.. Direct TV, Comcast or whatever, if I really need to watch something I usually go to the bar..).

Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 166
Niced 471 Times in 328 Posts

I don't really care about getting media exposure, or causing disc golf to grow. I thought the point of this thread was that this particular media exposure was of a slightly higher quality and attitude than most previous instances.

Now if you're the PDGA, or a disc manufacturer, or a disc golf media producer, or a professional disc golfer, or some other company that makes money from disc golf... THEN the "grow the sport" thing becomes your avenue to some cash. For me, typical Joe Disc Golfer who plays for fun, it's just entertainment and I'm cool with that. If disc golf suddenly becomes a mainstream sport, I'll deal with that when it happens.