Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Niced 355 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Currently I throw and putt with Discmania P2s. Putting - D-line. Throwing 1 S-line and 1 D-line.
I love the P2s for putting and picked up another d-line and s-line for throwing. But after using them for about a year... I'm stating to feel that for me the P2s are a little deep for throwing.
It was the same for me. Now I still putt with the P2s, because I like their height/depth for putting, but throw a D-Line P3 (which I flattened). It is shallow and mine flies just like my P2s, by no means it has a fade of 3, more 1 or 1.5. Both discs fly pretty similar. The P2 might have a bit more HSS; the P3 a bit more LSF. The P3 holds long annies until the very end, when it comes back with a nice fade. I drive with it on short holes, unless into a headwind (then I throw a Zone).

Throwing the P2 works for me only if I use a birdie grip (middle finger stretched out), but that is less comfortable than using a power grip or a control grip on the P3. (I don't throw fan grip.)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

Plasma Envy is the best plastic to cover all bases in my opinion. It's grippy enough and semi soft, but not as soft as Soft Neutron. I personally bag a Plasma Envy for drives and Electron for Putts. I also have a Plasma and Soft N Proxy for drives and use a Neutron Proxy for putts when I want someone stiffer that my Electron Envy.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
After playing a couple of rounds in th last couple days, now that the weather is getting nicer. I'm starting to rethink my throwing putters.
Currently I throw and putt with Discmania P2s. Putting - D-line. Throwing 1 S-line and 1 D-line.
I love the P2s for putting and picked up another d-line and s-line for throwing. But after using them for about a year... I'm stating to feel that for me the P2s are a little deep for throwing.

Currently I'm throwing an A2 for my super overstable mid. A couple MD3s for my overstable to stable. And a Mako3 for understable.
Any suggestions for approach/putting putters that are less deep/more shallow?

Thanks in advance
Since you already use a P2, the classic aviar pairs really well with those for approach shots and feels more shallow for sure. Very straight but not flippy at all, in my experience.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 400 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
I'd like flights similar to what I already have. Understable/neutral flight and a trustworthy stable-overstable flights. I throw forehand upshots alot! I don't like beads, got rid of my roc3s and Gators because if it
Quote:
I'll look at the envy. What plastics would you look at? Are there different flight characteristics to the envy based on the plastic like normal? If so, Would you do two different plastics or 2 discs?
I would go two discs rather than two Envy plastic variations. I think the Proxy Envy combo would be good to try. Maybe Soft Neutron for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I haven't thrown the Proxy recently but it's supposed to be the less OS Envy. Others can chime in on if it's redundant or a great pairing.
Pretty much. But Proxy is unique in that although it may in fact be "less OS Envy" it still has great HSS so it's pretty user friendly for the average player to throw well and straight. It's my touch shot disc in the woods and for narrow fairways. Would think OP would like if he throws makos (?). Proxy might encroach on it though. straight helicopter landings all day.

To be fair, if you have even moderate power you can make an Envy fly straight for entire flight as well, IME. Proxy just takes less effort and power to go straight. So, I could see why some would say they are at least somewhat redundant. In fact, I carry Proxy, Envy, and Zone and could easily go Proxy / Zone like Jowie (quoted below). But I really like laying into the Envy for drives and it looks so pretty on hyzer lines. So I carry all three and love them all.

From everything OP has said, I think he definitely wants an Envy, at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
Ime, the soft envy is the most overstable version, but I have not thrown the electron. The Envy and Proxy are different for sure, but not different enough, imo to warrant carrying both. I have found that the Zone/Proxy is a more productive combo, but I like clear delineations between molds for my bag, ymmv.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
After playing a couple of rounds in th last couple days, now that the weather is getting nicer. I'm starting to rethink my throwing putters.

Currently I'm throwing an A2 for my super overstable mid. A couple MD3s for my overstable to stable. And a Mako3 for understable.
Any suggestions for approach/putting putters that are less deep/more shallow?

Thanks in advance
I had the same issue as you did and got a couple Envy's late last year right before it got too cold and snowy to play. In the limited time I got to play with the Envy,, I felt like I made the right choice. The depth of the P2 was giving me issues when driving because of the depth and I'm sure because there is some OAT in my form. The Envy just felt more right for my grip.

I still carry three P2's in the bag. Two are for approaches where I can fan grip them and just let the slower putter glide up to the basket. The other is a backup putter if it's a little windy for my Aviar. The Envy I use more off the tee. I carry a lot of putters and mids because the main course that I play at is short and heavily wooded so there's no real need to carry anything over speed 9-10.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 495 Times in 257 Posts

I like to putt with the P2 as well, I'm using the Envy for most of my approach shots. It's one of the most important discs in my bag at this point. It has a smooth semi shallow profile, but not too shallow. It releases very cleanly from the hand, it never hooks on to my ring finger like the P2 sometimes does. It loves flying low fast lines like a driver. It holds up decently well in a moderate headwind. It has a late gentle to moderate fade. I prefer the stiffer neutron blends over the soft, it just feels better in the hand. It also releases more cleanly for me than the soft N. Great disc, I love that thing.
The Harp is a very different disc. Its beaded and quite deep. It sometimes hooks on to my ring finger when I backhand it. It has way lower glide than the Envy, it's also more HSS
Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

Plasma Proxy / Pa4 - Understable

Proxy / Electron Atom - Straight/slight turnover

Envy / Proton Atom - Straight/Slight Fade

Harp / Zone - Overstable

Any combo of these that you want - but all these discs I highly recommend
Old 03-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Plasma Proxy / Pa4 - Understable

Proxy / Electron Atom - Straight/slight turnover

Envy / Proton Atom - Straight/Slight Fade

Harp / Zone - Overstable

Any combo of these that you want - but all these discs I highly recommend
What plastics for the envy? Proxy?
Sounds like they would be similar enough and yet different enough to pair together
Are the proxy and envy similar to each other in feel? I.e. low profile, no bead, etc...

Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Are you wanting a pair that is nearly the same feel/disc, so remaining in the same manufacturer or even same mold but different plastic? Or would you pair nearly any 2 discs as long as they each feel good and fill the needed role?
I would like to, ideally find 2 discs that are nearly the same mold/feel and essentially the same disc with flight characteristics. That might mean 2 different discs or 2 different plastics.
It sounds like the envy might be a good option, would I need to look at 2 discs or is it versitle enough where one disc fill both the striaght to understable and moderately overstable in the same disc?
I'm going to need to go to my local shop to see if the envy would fit the bill.
I'm seeing suggestions of pairing the proxy with it... Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Harp is an overstable approach/slow mid. The AviarX3 in Star plastic is very much like the Tournament Plastic Harp in their flights. The Harp is beaded, while the AvX3 is not beaded.

I haven't tried the Dart, and don't know enough about it to comment.
Since I carry the a2 would the aviarx3 be too close?
Know anyone who would know something about the dart b/c I like the feel of it.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 495 Times in 257 Posts

The proxy and the envy share the same core, the overmolded profile is just slightly different