Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 396 Times in 226 Posts

Like Destroyers, the DD3 can really vary.

I’ve got Cloudbreakers that are stupid beefy. I have seen other ones that weren’t as overatable. Some are domey, some are flatter, some have an almost straight lower wing profile, some don’t.

I have a couple of the Echo DD3’s which are supposed to have more turn than the S-line but I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet.

I would definitely say try and pick one out in person and probably look at the same things everyone looks at on a Destroyer to try to find one that might show more turn.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 175 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I've got 6 DD3 now and none have these wings, I bought them all online though so I would second the advice here.

But I still wouldn't expect much turn without 425+ feet of power. I'd encourage you to look at a different mold.

I used to bag lighter 160-168 star destroyers with the flat wings for that nice S-curve distance shot

The echo DD3 appears to be closer to that stability.
I was originally going to suggest just handpicking destroyers with the flat wing, because I have a larger sample size of several (at least 4-5). They all show turn out to about 400' out of the box.

But because this is the DD3 thread, I recommended looking for those as well, even though my sample size is one.

My one DD3 is a cloudbreaker. But it's a 167, has a flat wing, and flies neutral to 400' for me. Very glidey flier with a forward penetrating fade.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 990 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
DD3 isn't going to turn without 450+ feet of average power. I can probably throw mine 425 on my best day and it's not turning on a flat rip. It will hold hyzer too, no flip up.

The echo line has turn right out of the box. They were a very limited run. I would look elsewhere.

The Falcon is pretty nice, easy to control, turns out of the box, and it's fast and long.
My DD3 was definitely turning on less than 450' power. I'm not saying the thing is at all flippy, but I was getting it to bend right on anything approaching 400'.

I found the DD3 to have more high speed turn than most star Destroyers. It also holds the high speed turn longer before fading.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
If you can hand pick destroyers or DD3s, look for the ones with the flat wings.
So far this has done me well with Wysocki Destroyers. Flatter wing ones have a wonderful flight. High speed turn followed by a gradual fade.

I'd also recommend looking for a good/big dome too. Flatter Destroyers are always glideless beef.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 53 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
My DD3 was definitely turning on less than 450' power. I'm not saying the thing is at all flippy, but I was getting it to bend right on anything approaching 400'.

I found the DD3 to have more high speed turn than most star Destroyers. It also holds the high speed turn longer before fading.
Just a standard S-line or CB? The stock S-lines I have do show a little turn but they're not getting a ton of turn at that distance. CBs that I have don't show any turn whatsoever and have a very healthy fade. The color glow DD3 I have can't be thrown flat or they'll burn into the ground. They're great for tailwind or hyzerflip distance but they get very squirrely on me.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 PM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have been throwing the Echo DD3 for a week now. I can indeed confirm it is an easier to throw version. But with some angle control and a clean release these things absolutely bomb. For me they fly a lot like those gummy, understable AJ Destroyers but with more glide and a pinch more fade. They don't have a lot of lateral movement, a very controllable turn and a gentle, glidey fade.

Keep in mind i throw them 450-500ft and with a hefty amount of hyzer. They are also awesome for hyzers in tailwinds. Headwinds, no go. Sidearm flip up? Yes.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetailor View Post
Just a standard S-line or CB? The stock S-lines I have do show a little turn but they're not getting a ton of turn at that distance. CBs that I have don't show any turn whatsoever and have a very healthy fade. The color glow DD3 I have can't be thrown flat or they'll burn into the ground. They're great for tailwind or hyzerflip distance but they get very squirrely on me.
Regular S line. Huge dome on it. Mine isn't flippy, but it'll turn.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 574 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'd also recommend looking for a good/big dome too. Flatter Destroyers are always glideless beef.
I've got a couple of flat, flat winged GStar DSs that would like to disagree with your statement. Almost turn and burn into the ground from a flat release flippy, at about 350' power. Makes for great hyzerflip practice discs.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I've got a couple of flat, flat winged GStar DSs that would like to disagree with your statement. Almost turn and burn into the ground from a flat release flippy, at about 350' power. Makes for great hyzerflip practice discs.
G* plastic is different. That stuff will flip no matter how much dome there is (or isn't). Regular star or champion Destroyers are horribly beefy if they're flat.

Obviously the flat wing makes a difference too. Flat wing Destroyers are GENERALLY flippier than concave wings.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 81 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Today I acquired a DD3 cloudbreaker in a trade. It weighs 167 and has a flat, blizzard-textured wing - reminiscent of the 2017 philo destroyers. It also has a very healthy pop-top.
The lighter weight, blizzard rimmed with the big pop tops are the most recent run of CB's. They're still plenty available if you want another.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk