Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 845 Times in 512 Posts

A lot of good suggestions already. I'd like to echo the recommendations for you to test out some modern throwing putters, due to your preferences for:

a) relatively flat, shallow discs with small or no bead
b) slower molds that are easier to get up to speed

These two preferences are basically contradictory, since making a disc flatter and shallower will also make it faster. So to drop the disc back down in speed, you need to introduce another variable...which likely means shrinking the diameter a bit.

So what do you get if you take a modern, sleek throwing mid and shrink the diameter? Someone who knows more about physics can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the answer is that you now have a modern, sleek throwing putter.

I'd start with trying out the Envy and Proxy. They are basically the gold standard when it comes to driving putters, as both can handle more wind and torque than you'd expect from a putter and they go very far. They also seem to like being thrown on a slightly lower line than most putters, just like mids do. They really aren't the floaty/glidey discs that most people think of when they think of putters. If those don't work out for you, Innova's Stud and Colt combo is also very good, as well as the Westside Maiden and Lat64 Pure.

Lastly, I'd recommend dusting off that old Meteor you mentioned. Don't underestimate the value of understable discs on days where you're struggling to get discs up to speed. Understable molds can be lazers if underpowered.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelZero View Post
Everything seems to be leaning more toward speed these days. Instead of 4-speed midranges, 7-speed fairways, and 9-speed distance drivers, it's 5- and 6-speed mids, 8- and 9-speed fairways, and 13- and 14-speed distance.
Going along with this, people are throwing faster putters now, and throwing them for serious distance. Maybe try a 3-speed Luna, Envy, or Pure - they really do go about as far as my Rocs.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I remember seeing that in the bag video and being super impressed. I really dig Philo and his game. However, I don't have the arm for Destroyers. And I don't play enough to cycle discs. He's freaking awesome though. And seems like a very cool dude.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 65 Times in 36 Posts

I'm really digging the MD for this. It holds any angle you put it on really well. It doesn't take "fast mid-range" velocity to get it to flip up flat. And it doesn't want to glide as far as a Comet, so it's easy to range.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 445 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
I started playing over ten years ago and then got out of it for a while. Over the last 5 years I've jumped back in. Back in the day, I usually threw Buzzzes for main midranges, complementing them with Meteors when I needed US shots.

When I got back into disc golf, Trilogy was making a big splash. I've always been sort of addicted to plastic, so I got a bunch of their stuff, some of which has stayed in the bag for years.

Verdicts, Truths, and Fuses have been the core of my midrange lineup. After throwing Buzzzes for so long, those discs felt very similar but they were faster. My Emac Truth goes damn near as far as my fairways.

Lately, this has evolved into a problem. I'm having trouble ranging faster midranges and, as I'm "enjoying" my late 40s, sometimes I have issues getting them up to speed. The arm ain't what it used to be.

I've always thrown slower discs well. When I got on a Roc just right, it was always money. But I never liked the feel of it. The bead was too big and the dome threw me off. Eventually, I realized the feel of flatter discs with lower profiles was very comfortable for me. Hence the Verdict, Truth, and Fuse. Pretty flat, low-profile discs and the beads were either micro or absent.

But now I feel maybe I should transition to some slower midranges to get back into the sweet spot (and give my old arm a break). I've been loving Suspects for the last couple years but I use them more for approach shots than anything else.

Any advice on this? Everything seems to be leaning more toward speed these days. Instead of 4-speed midranges, 7-speed fairways, and 9-speed distance drivers, it's 5- and 6-speed mids, 8- and 9-speed fairways, and 13- and 14-speed distance. I don't carry anything over 9-speed because that's my max.

I just got a Wasp and a Comet in the mail today. The bead on the Wasp doesn't seem to bother me so maybe it's dome I really don't like. The Wasp is pretty flat so it feels comfy.

The Comet also has a bead but it's much more domey. Doesn't feel as good in my hand.

I still have several Buzzzes, which still feel great in my hand, but the Buzzz is certainly more driver-like. It may not be as fast as a Truth but it's pretty speedy.

What sort of combo sounds good for slow-throwing?

Just thought of one disc I used the throw but dont anymore since I switched to rocs: Star Coyote. Its beadless and glidey, really easy to throw at low power. Id actually be willing to trade it if you have some dx rocs you want to part ways with :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 12:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 445 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
I remember seeing that in the bag video and being super impressed. I really dig Philo and his game. However, I don't have the arm for Destroyers. And I don't play enough to cycle discs. He's freaking awesome though. And seems like a very cool dude.

Yeah I dont have the arm for destroyers either. In fact, Id guess about 70% of people who throw destroyers dont have the arm for destroyers lol. Ive found a version of the philo bag thats better for noodle arms
Dx Aviars
DX Rocs
DX Eagles
DX Banshees

They all beat in pretty quick and cover lots of different shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 778 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
In fact, Id guess about 70% of people who throw destroyers dont have the arm for destroyers lol.
Probably a much higher number. Just yesterday a local new player was asking for advice and immediately someone suggested that a Destroyer would be a good beginner driver. I'm sure this happens daily all over the place. Destroyer is at the top of the sales lists.

Still I figure if getting a Destroyer makes people happy to throw, then why not. Hopefully someone introduces them to Roadrunners/Sidewinders though.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

What about the Lat 64 Compass? It's listed as a speed 5 but I've read some reviews that say it has a blunt nose that makes it slower than that. No bead. Not too shallow, not too deep.

Anyone have experience with these?

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

Someone earlier said the Gatekeeper, that was my immediate thought when I saw what you were looking for. Flat, beadless, relatively shallow, a little slower than other mids out there, and my favorite part of it so far is its versatility despite its fade. I can get it to hold a line with 200 feet of power and it behaves mostly the same as a full rip.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Just thought of one disc I used the throw but dont anymore since I switched to rocs: Star Coyote. Its beadless and glidey, really easy to throw at low power. Id actually be willing to trade it if you have some dx rocs you want to part ways with :-)
I actually don't have any DX Rocs right now.

Quote:
Someone earlier said the Gatekeeper, that was my immediate thought when I saw what you were looking for. Flat, beadless, relatively shallow, a little slower than other mids out there, and my favorite part of it so far is its versatility despite its fade. I can get it to hold a line with 200 feet of power and it behaves mostly the same as a full rip.
Just got my Gatekeeper in the mailbox. 172 Tournament plastic. Looking forward to trying it out.

Niced: (1)