Old 10-29-2020, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,631 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
I think we are taking COVID too seriously where I live. So does this mayor in the South Suburbs:

Is he the Mayor of this town?

https://news.yahoo.com/wedding-birth...120537435.html
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 532
Niced 123 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The guy is a crackpot, conspiracy theorist.

COVID restrictions are indeed tiresome and inconvenient. But, they save lives. I am comfortable compromising my lifestyle for a while to save lives....one of them could be my mother, sister, father in law, wife or children. Shrug, we all have to make decisions....I just seem to always fall on the side of lives over the bar, restaurant, movie theater, bowling alley......
The problem is the government forcing people to do this, with arbitrary thresholds and questionable policies.

Nobody is forcing anybody to be exposed at restaurants, simply don't go. But the shutdowns DO force these restaurant owners to give up their livelihood.

I'm on board with what the mayor is saying. It's 100% reasonable. The restaurants around here have been open for 4 full months, but the recent spike is cause for alarm? Seems like a knee jerk reaction to me.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this has been quite possibly the best year of my life. Working from home, zero traffic when I do go out, getting to stay home with the family, this has been a dream come true. But the execution is sloppy.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
The problem is the government forcing people to do this, with arbitrary thresholds and questionable policies.

Nobody is forcing anybody to be exposed at restaurants, simply don't go. But the shutdowns DO force these restaurant owners to give up their livelihood.

I'm on board with what the mayor is saying. It's 100% reasonable. The restaurants around here have been open for 4 full months, but the recent spike is cause for alarm? Seems like a knee jerk reaction to me.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this has been quite possibly the best year of my life. Working from home, zero traffic when I do go out, getting to stay home with the family, this has been a dream come true. But the execution is sloppy.
IMO, people choosing to stay home is the cause of restaurant owners to suffer. I think the vast majority of people don't need to be told to help save lives.

The science behind shutdowns is neither arbitrary, nor questionable. People who disagree would like to make the case that they are, but science is not a belief system. The mayor makes some pretty outlandish claims, some simply untrue. I think that kind of political dogma is disingenuous and dangerous.

It sucks, people are suffering and many enduring hardships. This is what global pandemics do, this is what they look like.

If you are unhappy with the government now....boy, you are in for a rough ride. IMO, states are going to shortly start shutting everything down again and a national mask mandate likely. Why, because there is clear cut science that shows it will save thousands of lives and help a soon to be strained healthcare industry.

Sigh....I don't really understand who thought the execution was going to be anything but sloppy. Without a semblance of national leadership, states were left to do what was best for their people. States infection rates and hospitalization rates were wildly different. Governor's agendas wildly varied. I was never a fan of opening up much at all, this summer. I guess we should be thankful for a few month of reprieve, because I fear it is going to be worse than last spring.

Glad to hear the pandemic life is working for you and your family. I hope you keep them all safe!
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

I intentionally left this separate. This is such a dangerous misnomer. The exposure is NOT about the guy who goes to the restaurant. It is about the 40 people he then potentially exposes to the virus, and the 40 that each of those folk expose, and the 40 that each of them then expose.....

Old 10-29-2020, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
IMO, people choosing to stay home is the cause of restaurant owners to suffer. I think the vast majority of people don't need to be told to help save lives.

The science behind shutdowns is neither arbitrary, nor questionable. People who disagree would like to make the case that they are, but science is not a belief system. The mayor makes some pretty outlandish claims, some simply untrue. I think that kind of political dogma is disingenuous and dangerous.
If you don't mind, what are the outlandish and untrue statements in the video? I don't follow any of this closely, at all, just posted the video as it echoes my personal sentiment.

I am also not disputing that there should be some sort of shutdown/government intervention. But I do feel that closing private businesses is a bit of an overreach, especially if there is no relief/subsidy to make up for the lost business.

Quote:
I intentionally left this separate. This is such a dangerous misnomer. The exposure is NOT about the guy who goes to the restaurant. It is about the 40 people he then potentially exposes to the virus, and the 40 that each of those folk expose, and the 40 that each of them then expose.....
But where does this end? What about the people who go to gas stations? Supermarkets? DMV? I had to get my emissions checked to renew my license plate.

My point is, it is arbitrary to shut down restaurants and not supermarkets... that's what grinds my gears.

Last edited by notapro; 10-29-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 391 Times in 150 Posts

My wife and I both started working from home in March. She's a college professor, and her community college was fine with her staying online, so through next spring she is for sure set to stay online. I run a program that does tax returns for low income families, so once Illinois loosened up its restrictions some in June, I was back to work a few days per week helping people do taxes. We enforced mask usage (our door is on an auto-lock, so people weren't allowed in unless they had a reason to be there, had a mask, and left their kids at home), kept people 6+ feet apart, had plexiglass barriers between people, and wiped down stations as people left them. It was interesting though (not in a good way), how quickly my co-workers and the volunteers involved with my program started easing off the rules. First it was getting closer to 6 feet just to look at a screen, then it was getting closer to talk, then it might be taking the mask off to take a swig of water or coffee and then forgetting to put it back on. The fatigue is real if people are diligent.

As far as social life, we aren't the most social people. I did attend our weekly disc golf leagues once or twice per week. It's a small league and we were all good about staying a ways apart. We've been doing grocery pick up for awhile now, so that wasn't much of a change, but we did start doing grocery delivery instead of running to the store when we needed just a few items. That got expensive since there were minimums on the order for delivery, so I have made the occasional run when we truly just needed one or two things, and I am going to the one store in town that is quite strict on mask usage. We've seen our friends in person once when I drove to all of their houses and yelled at them from a megaphone, but that was back in late March/early April. We have done a few road trips where we rented an Airbnb for the weekend. All trips were places that we could get to with just one tank of gas, we only got delivery or curbside pick up food, and other than that we just did what we do at home: either go hiking, play disc golf, sit in a park away from people and relax, or just hang out at the Airbnb (we did whole house Airbnbs. No shared rooms, no apartments). Those little trips really helped out our mental state. Unfortunately for me, I am going to have to start going back into the office in mid-January .

Niced: (1)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 392 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
But where does this end? What about the people who go to gas stations? Supermarkets? DMV? I had to get my emissions checked to renew my license plate.

My point is, it is arbitrary to shut down restaurants and not supermarkets... that's what grinds my gears.
I can buy fuel, go to grocery stores, and go to the DMV and wear a mask the whole time.

Not the case with eating at restaurants or drinking at bars.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:26 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 391 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
People need food to eat but don't need restaurant food. That's not quite arbitrary.

There are definitely some things that, when I look at Pritzker's actions, I think "hmm.. that doesn't entirely make sense to me", but I live in the worst county inside the worst region in Illinois at the moment, so I am fine with the actions being on the safer side even if most restaurants in my county are ignoring the rules and just continuing on anyway.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I can buy fuel, go to grocery stores, and go to the DMV and wear a mask the whole time.

Not the case with eating at restaurants or drinking at bars.
OK, that does makes sense. Every time I've gone out to a restaurant I've felt sequestered from everyone else, but that's just my experience.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
People need food to eat but don't need restaurant food. That's not quite arbitrary.

There are definitely some things that, when I look at Pritzker's actions, I think "hmm.. that doesn't entirely make sense to me", but I live in the worst county inside the worst region in Illinois at the moment, so I am fine with the actions being on the safer side even if most restaurants in my county are ignoring the rules and just continuing on anyway.
Yeah, I guess I was equating touching surfaces with maskless interaction, which definitely isn't the same thing.

Cook County here, it doesn't get worse than that, right?