Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Power Pocket

Through a ton of practice and advice on here my drivers have been constantly improving. Yesterday I had a little bit of a break through, possibly a major one.

I was playing around by myself and when I do that I'll take multiple tee shots (as long as no one is behind me). Today I was really focusing on keeping my body centered and not crashing forward after my release due to my forward momentum.

I was getting some great drives and was feeling a lot of power in my throws but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was really making a difference. Hole #3 at Frank Liske is a 357 foot hole. I parked that joker with my Star Wraith. I mean parked.

Then later after some ups and down I parked #15 which is listed as 345. It wasn't until my last throws on #18 that I finally figured it out.

Hole #18 is a 450+ foot hole uphill, maybe a 25 degree incline. I put my disc maybe halfway up. There are two small but long hills up the fairway and I landed right on top of one. So, for my upshot I was standing on the side of the hill. This is important because to get good leverage on a shoot where you're standing on a hill you have to keep your body from the waist up very, very straight, maybe even leaning back a little.

I'd always heard to get over your disc but when I do that I hunch over it, pretty much slouching. This makes it so I'm rotating a curved spine. Surprisingly a straight spine rotates a lot faster. Who knew?

That was part of it but the really big thing is that for whatever reason, the hill, luck, whatever, when I threw my upshot I went past the basket by about 50 feet. What the heck!? It felt extremely powerful too. I started pulling other discs out of my bag, trying to do it again. The trick was I'd noticed that when I pulled through my elbow was different. It was a little higher then I normal. Then caused my disc to pass on a plane under my elbow. I didn't realize how my elbow was dropping as I pulled my disc past my chest and turned towards the basket on release.

With my elbow up (more not dropping) I created much more of a pocket between my shoulder, elbow, and hand with my disc in the middle. My hand is at 9 'o clock on the disc and is almost completely parallel to my bicep which is at 3 'o clock.

In more of a nutshell here's the mistakes or misinterpretations I had about things I've been reading about proper throwing mechanics.

1. Right pec drill. They should change the name to past the right pec drill. For the longest time I would pull when the disc was about center to just right of center of my chest. I was about a full 6-8 inches behind where I needed to be.

2. Elbow nudge a friend. Get the elbow out as far as it will go. You're really got to get that elbow out to create the pocket. Far enough that the disc is past your right pec.

3. The disc gets heavy right before the snap. I really felt the disc almost pulling backwards against my hand. Like the disc had some resistance which made it much, much easier pull against. Imagine playing tug of war and the guy on the other end is pulling as hard as you are but then lets go. It's like that but since kinda know when it's going to happen you can time it.

I'd throw my Volt for my upshot that went 50 feet past the basket. I threw my Vector and parked it. The real deal breaker that told me the proof was in the pudding was when I threw my Shock and it went past the Volt. That Shock has always been a little meaty for me and while I can throw my Volts 310-330 pretty easily I can barely get the Shock to 300. Not this time. My arm was a human catapult and I launched that sucker uphill, into a headwind and it didn't even blink.

Then it started to rain but I can not wait to play another round to see how real this is and hope I don't somehow forget it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,103 Times in 2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
I'd always heard to get over your disc but when I do that I hunch over it, pretty much slouching. This makes it so I'm rotating a curved spine. Surprisingly a straight spine rotates a lot faster. Who knew?

That was part of it but the really big thing is that for whatever reason, the hill, luck, whatever, when I threw my upshot I went past the basket by about 50 feet. What the heck!? It felt extremely powerful too. I started pulling other discs out of my bag, trying to do it again. The trick was I'd noticed that when I pulled through my elbow was different. It was a little higher then I normal. Then caused my disc to pass on a plane under my elbow. I didn't realize how my elbow was dropping as I pulled my disc past my chest and turned towards the basket on release.

With my elbow up (more not dropping) I created much more of a pocket between my shoulder, elbow, and hand with my disc in the middle. My hand is at 9 'o clock on the disc and is almost completely parallel to my bicep which is at 3 'o clock.
Your head should be over the disc(except for anhyzer) with a straight spine. Bend the knees and hips and you have tilted the spine forward but it's straight and in proper stacked athletic positioning. If your spine is straight and tilted, your head is forward and your butt is back. This creates a pocket to pull/swing the disc through your core and center of gravity. Hunching over and slouching is just bad posture and balance. There's a huge difference.

Elbow up and out wide, and/or shoulder lower. The elbow should be relatively parallel to the shoulder plane for maximum swing extension.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting. So you lifted the elbow, held the spine straight (reversed Y) and pointed the elbow more to your side (towards the target) before ejecting the disc.

Im still fighting with to much weight transfer (sliding) but Ill have to try to get the elbow more towards the target before ejecting cus I dont give this part to much attention. Trying to focus on this might give me a little more distance to.