Old 11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Gateway Sabre

Fiance has her birthday comming up and I wanted to get her a cool disc in a cool plastic and easy to throw so I got her a Gateway Saber in HPP Evolution.

What are peoples opinion of this disc?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Is she brand new to DG or has she been playing for a while? If she's a noob you'd probably be better off getting her a putter or at least a slower mid like a Coyote or something similar. The Saber is a long mid/fairway that doesn't require a Herculean effort to get it fly straight but may still tend to fade too much if she doesn't have a whole lot of experience. Just my .02
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Between a TB and Roc in Distance. Similar stability to both. Good luck finding and in less than 170g.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Got it at 166

She's been playing a few months. She hasnt gotten great but to her, its all about if it looks pretty or feels good in her hand. I was hoping or a something that would be that and also fly well.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 58 Times in 24 Posts

I got a bunch of Gateway discs custom stamped to give as gifts for our wedding guests that play. We got several E Sabres that I gave to a few of my friends that are rec players and they love them. It won't be her longest disc, but she'll probably find it to be really controlable.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

it's a very good disc in the wind, it tends to go further at greater heights so i tend to throw it higher than the majority of my control fairway drives, it's very consistent and doesn't take much arm speed, it's essentially a longer mid range, it's a good disc
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,616 Times in 1,209 Posts

I don't know about the HPP E plastic but the Sabre I had (S plastic I think?) was champish feeling. I liked it a lot actually, felt like a domey Teebird to me, the disc was really comfortable in my hands which are probably the same size as your fiances
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I don't know about the HPP E plastic but the Sabre I had (S plastic I think?) was champish feeling. I liked it a lot actually, felt like a domey Teebird to me, the disc was really comfortable in my hands which are probably the same size as your fiances
I have a way to measure that but we'll just take your word for it.

More I hear, the more I think I would likea Sabre for myself. lol I got enough discs though.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Fiance has yet to fall in love with the Sabre and never throws it. I think 166, which is the lightest they had, is too far outside of her 150 class discs she uses.

I think I want to give it a shot; might have to get one of my own since it seems funny if I used her gift from before; but does a Sabre fly as far as a Leopard or other fairway drivers? Seems like it is pretty low on Joes Flight Chart but I often wonder if there is really a distance limit to a disc at all and if there really is that big of a difference in distance on discs you can truly get up to speed as long as you arent beyond that possible max distance capability.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 58 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Fiance has yet to fall in love with the Sabre and never throws it. I think 166, which is the lightest they had, is too far outside of her 150 class discs she uses.

I think I want to give it a shot; might have to get one of my own since it seems funny if I used her gift from before; but does a Sabre fly as far as a Leopard or other fairway drivers? Seems like it is pretty low on Joes Flight Chart but I often wonder if there is really a distance limit to a disc at all and if there really is that big of a difference in distance on discs you can truly get up to speed as long as you arent beyond that possible max distance capability.
The Sabre can go far, but it needs lots of height to do it. Thrown the same height as what you're probably doing with your Leopards will probably get you less distance. Thrown 10' higher it will outdistance them. IMO, the Sabre is one of the reasons Gateway didn't have a neutral midrange for a long time. You could just throw a Sabre low and get a mid-like flight. It's a great disc for learning to throw higher and nose down.