Old 04-17-2016, 04:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 654 Times in 277 Posts
Default Wrist injury in the Power Pocket

I have been concentrating on moving my release into the so-called Power Pocket.
In the past, I have been pulling the disc at 12 o'clock and releasing way too early.
No Power Pocket, no power.
Most mid-ranges go to 275-285', putters at 250-260' and most drivers are at 300-325'.
So I have been working on releasing the disc later and loading the wrist into the hit by holding the disc at 4 o'clock.

After a couple hours of throwing in a wide-open soccer field, mixing short-distance drills and some distance throws, I made a distance throw and felt like my Ulna bone had hit a tree.
That was my last throw that day and I am wearing a brace around my wrist, which helps with the pain. It appears to be a simple pull or sprain and the swelling goes down a little every day.
Is this injury normal?
Has anyone else experience this injury?
Any knowledgeable hints on avoiding this injury in the future?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 04-17-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The "ulnar" is a nerve that's affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, caused by repetitious tasks.

I would have it looked at by your physician.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 607 Times in 236 Posts

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that! IMO, once you sense the loading on the wrist - you know you're bringing the disc in on a tight enough line through the core.

I'm not trying to maximize the loading.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2016/02/ful...-vs-simon.html

Early times on my throw rebuild, I wasn't getting into the power pocket - before I'd start opening my shoulders. Feeling the load of the wrist is a cue that you've braced the forward shifted weight in a way that is ready to extend forward.

Hopefully it's just a minor strain... Woof!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that! IMO, once you sense the loading on the wrist - you know you're bringing the disc in on a tight enough line through the core.

I'm not trying to maximize the loading.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2016/02/ful...-vs-simon.html

Early times on my throw rebuild, I wasn't getting into the power pocket - before I'd start opening my shoulders. Feeling the load of the wrist is a cue that you've braced the forward shifted weight in a way that is ready to extend forward.

Hopefully it's just a minor strain... Woof!
HUB,
For clarification,
First, what do you mean by "I'm not trying to maximize the loading."?
Second, are you saying that my shoulders should not start opening until I begin to feel the weight of the disc pull on the wrist?

Interesting that you bring up the problem of the early shoulder opening.
My biggest problem with holding the disc into the Power Pocket is that my shoulders are releasing early and I think it put my wrist into an awkward position and the pull of the disc and the unloading wrist may have contributed to the sprain/strain.
Any helpful drills?
I am already doing Bradley Walker's Closed Shoulder Drill as well as the drills suggested by Slowplastic on the 300' and No-snap barriers.
Any other?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,103 Times in 2,488 Posts

IDK about your injury. Sounds like you are maybe trying to spin the disc instead of throwing it like a hammer. I don't try to move the wrist much, it's a tight spring. If you can throw a sledgehammer you can throw a disc. Don't spin it. Toss it or heave it and it will spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmXPRieAy8#t=8m48s

Old 04-18-2016, 12:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 688 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
So I have been working on releasing the disc later and loading the wrist into the hit by holding the disc at 4 o'clock.
Are you holding the disc at 4:00 going into the hit or trying to hold until 4:00 at release?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
IDK about your injury. Sounds like you are maybe trying to spin the disc instead of throwing it like a hammer. I don't try to move the wrist much, it's a tight spring. If you can throw a sledgehammer you can throw a disc. Don't spin it. Toss it or heave it and it will spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Are you holding the disc at 4:00 going into the hit or trying to hold until 4:00 at release?
Been playing for almost 8 years, and got into some really bad habits starting out and I've had quite a struggle breaking some of those bad habits.
One of my bad habits was guiding the disc instead of throwing it. So I would pull the disc into the release at 12:00 instead of 4:00 and subsequently releasing very early in the motion. My release point was approximately just when the disc passed my pec, because by that point my shoulders had already opened up.

While trying to break that habit I have been exaggerating the motion.
So I have been trying to hold the disc at 4:00 as long as possible going into the hit and releasing the disc forward of the body with more elbow forward and arm extension.

As far as spinning the disc, not really trying to spin the disc, just letting spin happen upon release. Trying to let the spin happen when the wrist snaps open at release.

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 04-18-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 26
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

I'm working on this a little as well, but it's my understanding that you don't have to hold it at 4 on the reach back and pull through the whole time because if you keep your wrist loose, it will automatically load to about 4 o'clock when you stop your elbow. It gets curled up into your wrist when you bring it forward with a loose wrist and stop the elbow. When I started I developed the habit of pulling through at 12 the whole time so I know your struggle. If you pull it through at 4 the whole time wrist locked, you aren't going to get the spring like effect on ejection as well I don't think.. no expert. Just my interpretation

And 2 hours of field practice? I think that would make anyone's arm hurt..
Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 607 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
HUB,
For clarification,
First, what do you mean by "I'm not trying to maximize the loading."?
Second, are you saying that my shoulders should not start opening until I begin to feel the weight of the disc pull on the wrist?

Interesting that you bring up the problem of the early shoulder opening.
My biggest problem with holding the disc into the Power Pocket is that my shoulders are releasing early and I think it put my wrist into an awkward position and the pull of the disc and the unloading wrist may have contributed to the sprain/strain.
Any helpful drills?
I am already doing Bradley Walker's Closed Shoulder Drill as well as the drills suggested by Slowplastic on the 300' and No-snap barriers.
Any other?

So lots of information to address:

1. RE: "I'm not trying to maximize the loading." - My goal is NOT to use my wrist as the main component for driving. The wrist does load under tension, but it's a by-product of proper shifting and bracing.

The disc is re-directing at this point. The momentum of the disc is towards my elbow, and because of my hand being on the outside of the disc - it's pulling my wrist a bit towards my body. It's not the goal to bend the wrist, but if you're shifting and bracing well - you may notice the wrist loading with some force.

2. RE: "are you saying that my shoulders should not start opening until I begin to feel the weight of the disc pull on the wrist?" - That's not exactly true - because you may or may not feel the wrist load depending on the shot, power, angles. It's a cue when working out timing, but I wouldn't suggest building your timing based on it. Rather, I'd suggest building shoulder timing from the ground up.

If I'm working with somebody to fix over-opening or mis-timing with an x-step, I like to have them do the following (RHBH):

A. Disc starts loose in front of body, both feet together (weight on balls of feet).
B. Right foot strides forward WITH the disc swinging forward.
C. Left foot steps behind WITH the disc coming back to thighs. This should be the max of your physical height - the body is the most upright here.

Left most image: Epsen is at the max height. In previous threads we've talked about how Brinster maxes out his hop to use easy momentum.

D. As disc moves back, right foot strides forward. Off arm expands away from body. This is the left butt cheek wiping the wall in the butt wipe drill.
E. Right foot: Toes down, heel down. That SHOULD initiate the disc moving forward from the top of the backswing - without using your arm. Off arm initiates contracting back to body during this motion. The right butt cheek engages the wall in the butt wipe drill.

... this is where MOST players struggle... The disc needs to get to the starting line still, but our body is thinking it's go time with the shoulders. It's not yet go time.

You still have to get the disc across your chest without opening your shoulders - which has the byproduct of getting your elbow out front of your leading shoulder. Spine posture, weight on the balls of your feet and bracing on the instep of the plant foot AND with the right angles are imperative to bracing on an axis of rotation.

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 04-18-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
The "ulnar" is a nerve that's affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, caused by repetitious tasks.
The ulna is the medial bone in the forearm, opposite the thumb.

Ulnar is an adjective derived from ulna, meaning "pertaining to the ulna or any structure named by it"; see ulnar artery, ulnar nerve, ulnar tuberosity, etc.

It is entirely possible to experience ulnar damage that is NOT caused by repetitive tasks or related in any way to the ulnar nerve.