Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default Tired of unstable runs!

I live in a place where there are very few disc golf shops available. Those shops I have available don't really have much discs to offer. However I was able to get my hands on a 166g Star Destroyer in the shop with a flat top.

My issue is that I'm tired of ordering Innova drivers online, it seem like too much of a gamble and I need a replacement for a 168g wraith that i recently lost. I also have 175g Wraith that is somewhat okay, I can get it to turn when I really get a clean hit. It would probably become a better disc when I beat it in more.

I ordered 2x Star Orc a few months ago (167g and 170g), the 167g is the most overstable disc I have ever tried, this is almost, if not just as overstable as my Champion Firebird. Impossible to get it to turn. Starts to hyzer very quickly into the flight, it's basically been on my book shelf for a while and I tried it again today, same story.

A bit info about my distance, I haven't really measured any throws recently, but I overthrew a 295 feet hole with around 90-100 feet with 0 elevation with my new 166g Star Destroyer. I think this is my max distance and probably one of my best distance throws.

So my question is, are there any company that actually have consistent runs? I like the Star plastic the most, but hate spending money on discs that are basically worthless.

Thanks for feedback
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

The short answer is NO all company's have some sort of inconsistency. But some less than other. Also, you may want to consider trying different discs. If those Orcs were really OS (overstable) that's not a huge surprise I am an experienced player and I got a newer star Orc and it was fairly beefy. Youre not alone.

I could throw out some suggestions of things to try (not sure if that's what youre looking for)

If you like the Orc but want something that's easier to turn over I highly recommend an MVP Inertia. Its like a speed 10 disc, its still plenty fast for distance but it S shapes nicely. Discraft Thrasher or Heat , Discmania TD - the DGA Rogue is like an easier to throw Wraith. Its nice- these are all discs that I like that have good distance potential while easier to get to turn over to get a longer straighter flight overall. If you have any other questions please ask. but to answer your question, no, theres always a chance that a disc isn't quite the flight you'd expect from ANY company.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

The general rule of thumb is that the faster the mold, the more tiny molding variations affect flight and the less consistently individual discs in that mold will fly. Most of the major disc manufacturers suffer from this. You might give MVP/Axiom a shot as a lot of people think they are fairly consistent (Octane or Mayhem to replace stable to beat in Destroyers).

Niced: (2)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
I live in a place where there are very few disc golf shops available. Those shops I have available don't really have much discs to offer. However I was able to get my hands on a 166g Star Destroyer in the shop with a flat top.

My issue is that I'm tired of ordering Innova drivers online, it seem like too much of a gamble and I need a replacement for a 168g wraith that i recently lost. I also have 175g Wraith that is somewhat okay, I can get it to turn when I really get a clean hit. It would probably become a better disc when I beat it in more.

I ordered 2x Star Orc a few months ago (167g and 170g), the 167g is the most overstable disc I have ever tried, this is almost, if not just as overstable as my Champion Firebird. Impossible to get it to turn. Starts to hyzer very quickly into the flight, it's basically been on my book shelf for a while and I tried it again today, same story.

A bit info about my distance, I haven't really measured any throws recently, but I overthrew a 295 feet hole with around 90-100 feet with 0 elevation with my new 166g Star Destroyer. I think this is my max distance and probably one of my best distance throws.

So my question is, are there any company that actually have consistent runs? I like the Star plastic the most, but hate spending money on discs that are basically worthless.

Thanks for feedback
now you share some of my pain i had with innova sidewinders in particular.

however, no company is immune to inconsistency if you throw a specific mold for long enough

Niced: (3)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,747 Times in 2,968 Posts

Pretty much any disc over speed 10 or 11 from any manufacturer has the chance for inconsistencies. Its just an unfortunate side effect of the wider rims to have subtle differences.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,063 Times in 461 Posts

You also get people like me that love the inconsistencies from Innova. I can find destroyers that fly completely different but feel the same in the hand and thats what I love about Innova. There also is a bit a knowledge you gain with time in that you can hold and feel and disc and have a pretty good understanding of how it flies. That doesnt help when buying discs online but its nice.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Call gggt and talk to them. They can tell you the physical details of the disc before you order.
That is not to say that the disc will fly like you want though.
MVP and Discraft do seem to have better QC, but both experment with plastics at times.... (:-(
Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

I'm trying to follow Philo philosophy, keep it simple. I'm not really looking to have a lot of different molds in my bag, rather wear them down as I play a lot. I have only played since July, but I have played 148 rounds according to Udisc + some field work. I didn't want to fall into the trap of being a newbie, buying the highest speed disc which is why I went for the Orcs in the first place, felt those should be a good starting point for me. After getting those discs and trying one of my friends high speed driver, I bought my first Destroyer and than a Wraight. The Wraight was perfect out of the box and that made me buy another 2. The 168g Wraight I always got the the full flight out of, the other one I have in 167g is a bit more beefy and the 175g is a meathook, way more than my 175g Destroyer, but still much better than both my Orcs. Sadly I lost my 168g and I'm trying to replace it. I was about to order a new batch of discs from the web before posting, luckily I didn't.

I feel I lose discs a lot, might be in a bad period or something. I want to have a driver that fits my distance and is not super hard to replace when I lose it. I'm looking to have 3-4 drivers of the same discs and I don't mind slight differences between them as I can pick one over the other in wind for instance and shape different shots with them. I'm really happy with my 166g Star Destroyer so far, but I'm afraid what I will do when I lose this one.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm going to read about the Inertia, Thrasher, Heat and TD tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Call gggt and talk to them. They can tell you the physical details of the disc before you order.
That is not to say that the disc will fly like you want though.
MVP and Discraft do seem to have better QC, but both experment with plastics at times.... (:-(
id rather just visit them in person

Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 178 Times in 118 Posts

If you like Destroyers maybe get a couple Philo Destroyers. They should fly the same being from the same run and I'm pretty sure they're 168g standard.

Niced: (1)