Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 976 Times in 754 Posts
Default DD3

I threw my 2nd DD3 the other day. Like the first one, this one's an S line, 175g. Also like the first one, this 2nd DD3 flew great. I love the way this mold flies. Like that perfectly broken in Destroyer. I get get this disc to turn, and hold it without becoming flippy or drifting too far right.

The DD3 also does very well on high, forced anny lines.

I'm really surprised this disc isn't more popular. It reminds me exactly of proto star Destroyers from 10 years ago. Nice glide, high speed turn, and a mellow fade.

So far the DD3 and Enigma are my two favorite Destroyer clones.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Default Cloudbreaker

Finally got to try a Cloudbreaker today. 175g.

First things first, the disc is beautiful. Shiny, swirly plastic with pink, purple, blue, and green tints. The disc itself is pretty flat, flatter than any other DD3 I've seen to date.

Absolute beef! I was disappointed at how stunningly overstable this thing is. It reminds me a lot of a proto Kong or a heavy, flat McBeth Destroyer. Glide was poor. The thing literally didn't want to stay in the air at all. Whatever distance I got out of this Cloudbreaker I had to earn. I wasn't able to turn this disc, or even keep it flat for any length of time. All the longest throws I got with it I did by forcing it over hard anny. Even doing that the disc would fight out of it quickly and look for the ground.

Top distance was right at 400'. I had to slaughter the Cloudbreaker anhyzer to get it. This is NOTHING like the 3 prior DD3s I'd thrown.

Cloudbreaker: 12, 4, 0, 3. Beef is the word. MUCH more overstable (and flatter) than other DD3s I've tried. Highly reminiscent of a really stubborn Destroyer. No high speed turn at all on hard, flat releases.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 212 Times in 149 Posts

So, which run is like the old school destroyers and who has it?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 832 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
So, which run is like the old school destroyers and who has it?
None of the one's I've thrown are similar to the good old destroyers.

I've had more luck with Outlaws.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
None of the one's I've thrown are similar to the good old destroyers.

I've had more luck with Outlaws.
The first DD3 I threw was like a perfect (somewhat beat in) star Destroyer. It had a big dome. Great glide, some high speed turn, and a mellow fade.

I've thrown a couple DD3s since, and they've been beefy and not as glidey. The Cloudbreaker was super overstable.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 942 Times in 490 Posts

I have 9 pieces across 3 variants: echo 175g, most flippy yet very workable. Not unpredictable. Great distance. Sub-170g s-line, almost as long especially on a flex line. You can see them really fight to glide even when fading. 175 S-line: most stable but not really OS per se. Headwind makes em straight. Otherwise, huge flex lines are their bread and butter.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Par Member

Niced 157 Times in 64 Posts

I was wondering why I was seeing Color Glow C-Line DD3s selling for $70 to $80. They where only available in a mystery box so they are a bit rare.
Around that same time I was seeing these high prices I was able to pick up a few Echo DD3s. The Echo DD3 is less stable than all the prototype Cloudbreaker and S-Line DD3s I have tested. This means the Echo DD3 will go farther for the majority of folks throwing 300 to 400 feet. This caused the Echos to sell out fast.

I then started to hear folks talk about how the Color Glow C-Line is closer in stability to the Echo DD3s.
I have a Color Glow DD3 that I had inspected, measured, and compared to many other DD3s and I could tell from looking at that information that the Color Glow I have is for sure on the overstable side of things. So I asked to borrow my friends Color Glow so I could compare it as well. I found that his Color Glow is completely different than mine.

The protos I have compared are all very similar to each other.
The S-lines I have compared are all similar to each other.
The echos are all similar.
The only DD3s that I have seen vary hugely in stability within one plastic set is the Color Glow C-line DD3.

So I took some photos to show you all what I am describing above. So this is a PSA to anyone thinking of spending $70 to $80 in hopes of getting a sweet understable Color Glow DD3. It's luck of the draw. No big surprise that there is huge variation in a wide rim disc made by innova, but I had not yet seen it happen with DD3s until the Color Glow plastic.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 76
Niced 174 Times in 128 Posts

Overstable DD3s sound nice...
Old 08-14-2020, 10:04 AM

Years Playing: 0.5
Niced 25 Times in 15 Posts

Quick review of the new Cloud Breaker 2. I really loved the excellent combination of glide and stability it has. It has substantially more glide than the Cloud Breaker 1. It is much more friendly to lesser arms like myself. The closest comparison to it is a Color Glow DD3 that has similar flight characteristics. The plastic isn't as swirly as you would anticipate and has a touch less grip versus the Cloud Breaker 1. Both of these discs will get in to my bag and replace my 2nd run Cloud Breaker 1 as the CB 2 has more glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VhlCIey-6E

Last edited by Deuzzz; 08-14-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: url fix

Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,741 Times in 2,966 Posts