Old 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 356 Times in 185 Posts
Default Rules enforcement from top PDGA pros

Towards the beginning of round 1 Par Save coverage of the Silver Cup, we can hear Kevin Jones and Nate Perkins talk a bit about Nikko's slow pace of play.

Kevin: As players it's not our spot to get into a time limit mess like that, in my opinion.
Nate: I don't think so either, I don't think we should be making the call.
Kevin: In my opinion, that's too awkward.

I like both of the guys, don't like this take, but at least they are up front about not wanting to call stuff. And I will concede that calling a time violation would not be ideal/fun, but an absolute refusal to acknowledge it is kinda lame IMO

Any thoughts as to how the PDGA maybe could adjust the rule to make it easier to call?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by robdeforge; 07-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post

Any thoughts as to how the PDGA maybe could adjust the rule to make it easier to call?
Can't.

Tournaments have enough trouble getting enough volunteers just to work as spotters. And usually volunteers aren't Rules Officials for the tournament. Remember....in the absence of a rules official, the card members have final say - if they aren't willing to call the infraction, then that's how it is. The 30 second rule is one that really only affects the players on that card.

I've seen, what appears to me, are more blatant and can have affected scores. Jump/step putting where the foot hits the ground in front of the marker before releasing the putt. Run ups where the front foot goes in front of the edge of the tee box before the disc is released. That extra distance can give an advantage.

I'm not a pro....but when deciding whether or not to call a penalty, the thought may be...does this affect the score/throw?

Going over 30 seconds is annoying, but really doesn't affect the score.
Jump/step putting and landing before releasing the disc lets you get closer to the basket and more likely to make the putt.

Unless the players on the card are willing to make the call, or you have a rules official or official timer with every group, timing every shot.....this is a rule that won't be enforced.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 389 Times in 222 Posts

I did watch a tournament from a year or two ago where Ricky Wysocki got called for a fault by someone on his card. I can’t remember details but it seems a lot of the tee pads were on sidewalks and Ricky was constantly planting his foot across the line when teeing off and apparently someone finally decided to call him on it.

I think I saw McBeth call something on a card mate once as well.

Making a live call on a jump or step putt would be difficult without some sort of slow motion replay.

I do agree some of the pros seem to drag out there routine a bit long, especially when putting. I’ve seen guys with pretty much a tap in go through their entire 29 second routine before making their putt.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,489 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
Towards the beginning of round 1 Par Save coverage of the Silver Cup, we can hear Kevin Jones and Nate Perkins talk a bit about Nikko's slow pace of play.

Kevin: As players it's not our spot to get into a time limit mess like that, in my opinion.
Nate: I don't think so either, I don't think we should be making the call.
Kevin: In my opinion, that's too awkward.

I like both of the guys, don't like this take, but at least they are up front about not wanting to call stuff. And I will concede that calling a time violation would not be ideal/fun, but an absolute refusal to acknowledge it is kinda lame IMO

Kevin and Nate are breaking the rules here.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Can't.

Tournaments have enough trouble getting enough volunteers just to work as spotters. And usually volunteers aren't Rules Officials for the tournament. Remember....in the absence of a rules official, the card members have final say - if they aren't willing to call the infraction, then that's how it is. The 30 second rule is one that really only affects the players on that card.

I've seen, what appears to me, are more blatant and can have affected scores. Jump/step putting where the foot hits the ground in front of the marker before releasing the putt. Run ups where the front foot goes in front of the edge of the tee box before the disc is released. That extra distance can give an advantage.

I'm not a pro....but when deciding whether or not to call a penalty, the thought may be...does this affect the score/throw?

Going over 30 seconds is annoying, but really doesn't affect the score.
Jump/step putting and landing before releasing the disc lets you get closer to the basket and more likely to make the putt.

Unless the players on the card are willing to make the call, or you have a rules official or official timer with every group, timing every shot.....this is a rule that won't be enforced.
I definitely agree that calling time violations is difficult. However, the first is a warning and does not result in a penalty stroke so maybe Nikko would not have had any time issues after being warning the first time like he clearly should have been.

I'm also constantly reminded of the Spirit of the Game section in the competition manual:
Quote:
Disc golf is typically played without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the player to show sportsmanship, integrity, consideration for other players, and to abide by the Rules of Play. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. Make the call. Accept the call. It’s not personal; it’s the rules. That is the spirit of the game of disc golf.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 123 Posts

I think not calling this has the potential to really harm the sport going forward. One area we have that has potential to keep us more appealing than Golf is the potential for the sport to be quicker and more exciting.

I think the PDGA or DGPT should be putting retrospective sanctions on players that break rules so obviously as this. This is not a slight mistiming of a throw or misstep it's blatant breaking of the rules.

Some of the other examples require great attention to spot or really need a replay to be sure the infraction occurred. This sort of timing overrun is clear as day.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,489 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

It seems the attitude with too many disc golfers is:

"Grow the sport!! but don't expect us to follow rules".

Old 07-14-2020, 01:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,656 Times in 1,115 Posts

Those upset about rules not being called are missing the point that the infractions must be called by other players in the group. If no players in the group call what appears on video to be an infraction, has a rule been broken? Technically, no, even if we might have called it. But we can't. If anything, the players in the group may also have been equally at fault for not calling it since they were supposed to be watching for rules infractions. The rules for our game? Players in the groups make the calls... or not.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Those upset about rules not being called are missing the point that the infractions must be called by other players in the group. If no players in the group call what appears on video to be an infraction, has a rule been broken? Technically, no, even if we might have called it. But we can't. If anything, the players in the group may also have been equally at fault for not calling it since they were supposed to be watching for rules infractions. The rules for our game? Players in the groups make the calls... or not.
And....please, don't let disc golf become ball golf where people viewing the event on TV/YouTube/wherever can call in and report a violation after the fact.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
that is exactly the point of this post - to discuss the explicit refusal to call a clear rules violation. And the refusal isn't some hypothetical "I think this is why they didn't call it" but literally two pros just talking back and forth about how they won't call this rule because it's too awkward

I, personally, believe in a level playing field. the best way to ensure a level playing field is to have a set of rules, and have the rules enforced. We clearly have the first but not the second

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
And....please, don't let disc golf become ball golf where people viewing the event on TV/YouTube/wherever can call in and report a violation after the fact.
I believe that is no longer a thing, so no need to worry