Old 07-29-2020, 06:47 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Question "You Might Need New Discs"

Just a disclaimer, I am very new to the sport and am still trying to understand everything in the game, so forgive me if what this post contains just sounds stupid, but I want to get better so I might as well ask a forum.

I've played a few rounds recently and noticed a trend that is killing my score: I can't achieve any considerable distance on throws. Because of this, when others are at the hole in 1-2 throws, I'm aiming to putt in the amount it takes for par (typically 3). This makes birdies impossible, pars extremely difficult, and bogeys very common.

Since I am new, I only have four discs in my bag:
> Innova DX Leopard [6|5|-2|1]
> Innova DX Cobra [4|5|-2|2]
> Innova DX Shark [4|4|0|2]
> Innova DX Aviar [3|2|0|1]

I constantly find that my only "good" shot is a decently wide anheizer, typically landing right ahead of me and reaching 150-160ft. If I try to throw a reasonably straight shot, the distance goes down to only about 100-125ft. I may be a beginner, but I know that these are terrible numbers.

I have been searching online and asking around, as I'm trying to find the root of this problem. At first I thought it was my technique, then my release angle, disc angle (heizers/stable/anheizers), and everything in-between, yet nothing so far has worked.

My constant researching and endless hours of throwing with no sign of a good result stopped when I heard something that caught me off-guard. A "disc golf basics instructional" video made a statement that "If you're throwing too hard for a disc (on a RHBH), it will fade to the right rather than to the left."

This threw me for a spin. As a beginner, I've heard tons of times that "You shouldn't go for higher speed discs, as you won't have the strength for them," and I haven't even dared touch anything beyond my speed-6 Leopard. When I was just starting out and had crappy, weak technique, my shots were flying more straight (but not as far) even with more effort, typically getting some nice S-curve. But now that I have better technique with more arm extension and rip, suddenly all my shots are fading right despite all efforts to compensate.

Another thing I have heard in my studies is that you "shouldn't upgrade until you can throw your mids 300ft and your putters 250ft." But, if the speed thing is true, how am I supposed to get a 300ft mid throw when even with a good mix between power and curve, I can get at max 175ft...?

I'm just lost, and this is something I really want to fix before I get back out for 9- or 18-holes... Any criticism, advice, help, pointers, anything, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in-advance...!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

A lot of people will repeat what they’ve read as disc golf maxims or rules, such as the throw only a putter/midrange until you are throwing 250/300 feet. Like a lot of those general rules they don’t apply to all people in all situations are and just that a general idea.

There is validity in throwing discs like putters and midrange and learning how discs fly on different release angles, yet there is also validity in selecting fairway drivers and learning to throw nose down along your path to improvement too. So don’t be afraid to try control / fairway drivers too (so up to speed 9 or so) but yes, likely shy clear of true distance drivers of 10 or more. That is unless you like watching your discs crash to the left 150 feet in front of you.

What weights are your throwing? 150-160 gr discs for beginners are good learning tools. Winds in the double digits may push them around some so you can go into 160s....but unless you have good arm speed not sure throwing discs in the 170s make sense (except for putters or shorter range discs).

DX plastic can beat in pretty fast and become a lot more under stable than the flight numbers indicate on the disc, which may explain why they are fading right for you now. Or you could feel like you are throwing with hyzer or flat but maybe doing anhyzer?

Filming yourself is a great way to see what your throw is like , then compare it to some of the forms in the sticky on this site in the form analysis section and see what you can do to get closer to the good thrower’s form.

Edit: Forgot to add play shorter courses too. It isn’t any fun throwing less than 200 feet on a course that has 7-8 500+ foot holes. Try to find one that has a lot in the 200-250 range, even if it is just a small 9 hole course in a city park. It’ll keep the game more interesting for you and when you are blowing by those baskets move up to longer course?

Niced: (1)

Last edited by WeatherWimp; 07-29-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 209 Times in 98 Posts

If you're throwing 160 feet you aren't overpowering your leopard, and your form is abysmal. Don't be offended, that's the way it is. A halfway competent thrower can keep that beat up sucker flying straight and even get some left fade at 300'.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,657 Times in 792 Posts

Are you left or right handed? FH or BH? It's hard to say one way or another without some more info.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 624 Posts

Here's a classic thread on How to Build a Bag. It's a great intro to disc selection as you begin to play. It's a few years old, so not all of those discs are as common today as they used to be...

But form is probably your biggest issue. One nice intro video is this one by Barry Schultz:

A disc golf throw is complicated. You probably have lots of things that can use improve. Think of it as lots of easy ways (although sometimes not so easy) to gain distance.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I forgot to specify there, Armus. Thanks for the pointing that out. the 150-160ft is for mids, and that's just the point they land (since the field I practice in doesn't allow for any skid or roll). I'm getting closer to 200ft with my Leopard. As I said, I know that I'm a beginner and I unfortunately have to rely on the Internet for learning, so my technique is bound to be pretty terrible. That's why I'm coming to the forum, to try and improve and get some answers that aren't just stapled on YouTube or a website somewhere, so thanks for your comment.

Thanks for bringing up the thing about the high-speed fairway and low-speed distance drivers for beginners, because I've been playing with a few people who have been playing for a few weeks longer than I have and they got themselves each a low-speed distance driver and they've had clean throws with them as well as lower scores because of the added distance. A distance driver is certainly not something I want to get right this moment, as I feel like I need to improve with my Leopard, Shark, and Aviar a lot more and get more distance on them before I try to add to the confusion, but that was something that did make me think a bit.

Thanks for both of your responses. Hopefully the weather down here in Florida will be dry tomorrow so I can get back to work throwing tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Great video there, Armiller...! I have been trying to focus more on a balanced and "smooth" throw, have been going straighter, but also not as far. I noticed on his "backswing" there, he had his disc tilted up, then brought it to level as he threw it, is that something to take note of, or is that just something he himself got used to...? Thanks for the response...!

And to answer your question, Wolf, I throw right-handed backhands.

Thank you both as well...!

Niced: (1)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert

Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFoxFL View Post
Just a disclaimer, I am very new to the sport and am still trying to understand everything in the game, so forgive me if what this post contains just sounds stupid, but I want to get better so I might as well ask a forum.

I've played a few rounds recently and noticed a trend that is killing my score: I can't achieve any considerable distance on throws. Because of this, when others are at the hole in 1-2 throws, I'm aiming to putt in the amount it takes for par (typically 3). This makes birdies impossible, pars extremely difficult, and bogeys very common.

Since I am new, I only have four discs in my bag:
> Innova DX Leopard [6|5|-2|1]
> Innova DX Cobra [4|5|-2|2]
> Innova DX Shark [4|4|0|2]
> Innova DX Aviar [3|2|0|1]

I constantly find that my only "good" shot is a decently wide anheizer, typically landing right ahead of me and reaching 150-160ft. If I try to throw a reasonably straight shot, the distance goes down to only about 100-125ft. I may be a beginner, but I know that these are terrible numbers.

I have been searching online and asking around, as I'm trying to find the root of this problem. At first I thought it was my technique, then my release angle, disc angle (heizers/stable/anheizers), and everything in-between, yet nothing so far has worked.

My constant researching and endless hours of throwing with no sign of a good result stopped when I heard something that caught me off-guard. A "disc golf basics instructional" video made a statement that "If you're throwing too hard for a disc (on a RHBH), it will fade to the right rather than to the left."

This threw me for a spin. As a beginner, I've heard tons of times that "You shouldn't go for higher speed discs, as you won't have the strength for them," and I haven't even dared touch anything beyond my speed-6 Leopard. When I was just starting out and had crappy, weak technique, my shots were flying more straight (but not as far) even with more effort, typically getting some nice S-curve. But now that I have better technique with more arm extension and rip, suddenly all my shots are fading right despite all efforts to compensate.

Another thing I have heard in my studies is that you "shouldn't upgrade until you can throw your mids 300ft and your putters 250ft." But, if the speed thing is true, how am I supposed to get a 300ft mid throw when even with a good mix between power and curve, I can get at max 175ft...?

I'm just lost, and this is something I really want to fix before I get back out for 9- or 18-holes... Any criticism, advice, help, pointers, anything, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in-advance...!
When I injured my right arm from overuse as a beginner I taught myself to throw left. After a few weeks I changed my grip. I found that I could no longer throw my light leopard at all- just turned over into a roller and couldn't break the 200 foot mark. So, I got out my fastest discs and threw them (speed 9-11) and was instantly rewarded with distance as they no longer turned over. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to all that mumbo jumbo about never throwing a driver until you can throw a midrange 300 feet. Go buy yourself at least one distance driver with a decent weight (170 g) and Chuck it around. If you can throw it considerably farther with a correct flight pattern you are probably okay. I can throw all my fairway and distance drivers over 300 feet on a good throw now. I struggle throwing light slow discs because I can't get the right hyzer angle to get them to flip up and they all crash out hard at less than 200 feet.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:26 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Well, RoDeO... I might try out one of my friends' higher speed discs at some point, but settling for a 150ft mid throw is something I don't want to do. I've been out tirelessly trying to fix my technique so I can get the most out of the discs I have, because I want to be able to throw any disc at its potential rather than just the long ones. I want to get a good base established so that I know how to manipulate any disc put into my hand with time. I don't just want a good "driver throw," I want a throw that works no matter what disc I am using. I'm hopefully going to film myself soon so I can have it critiqued, because this is killing me right now...

Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 PM
Look What I Can Do! Newbie Posing as Expert

Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFoxFL View Post
Well, RoDeO... I might try out one of my friends' higher speed discs at some point, but settling for a 150ft mid throw is something I don't want to do. I've been out tirelessly trying to fix my technique so I can get the most out of the discs I have, because I want to be able to throw any disc at its potential rather than just the long ones. I want to get a good base established so that I know how to manipulate any disc put into my hand with time. I don't just want a good "driver throw," I want a throw that works no matter what disc I am using. I'm hopefully going to film myself soon so I can have it critiqued, because this is killing me right now...
I hear ya. I'm kind of in the same boat. I found that as my form got better and my grip changed that I was imparting far more spin on the disc than I was when I first started. This caused the understable discs I had to literally become unthrowable without hyzer flipping them and having them crash out. I was baffled for a few days wondering what was up. Then I threw my high speed discs and found that my distance was drastically increased. I have since gone back to learning how to throw my slower discs on a hyzer angle so they will fly right. Just for kicks, throw a more stable high speed disc and see what happens. If you get a more correct flight out of it you know the slow discs will only work with varying degrees of hyzer angle. My leopard disc I have to angle it almost halfway dipped into the ground to get it to fly straight now.