Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 353 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Steve Brinster Splatter Star Destroyers for his 2017 Tour Disc.
I passed on these today.

Has anyone ordered some?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 555 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah511 View Post
rumor is the tooled star destroyers are flying similar to AJ destroyers. picked one up online, hopefully it comes in this weekend and i can put that to the test.
Well, I don't think they are "tooled" into the mold to say Destroyer. I think it is engraved where they press a piece of hot metal into the plastic after the disc has cooled (engraving can also be done with a tool that works like a tattoo gun). It is incredibly expensive to retool a mold. I am not saying they will not do that eventually like Discraft does (definitely tooled into their molds), but all the ones I have seen are put there after the disc is molded up. So instead of writing an abbreviation with a pen, they engrave the name of the disc mold.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 67 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Well, I don't think they are "tooled" into the mold to say Destroyer. I think it is engraved where they press a piece of hot metal into the plastic after the disc has cooled (engraving can also be done with a tool that works like a tattoo gun). It is incredibly expensive to retool a mold. I am not saying they will not do that eventually like Discraft does (definitely tooled into their molds), but all the ones I have seen are put there after the disc is molded up. So instead of writing an abbreviation with a pen, they engrave the name of the disc mold.
Is the name in the same orientation on each disc? We could probably look at a few of these and figure out for sure if it was added later, right?

Niced: (1)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 39 Times in 26 Posts

The new Destroyers fly exactly the same to me. There are variations in the Mcbeth ones as well. Been throwing Destroyers for a long time, and there has never been much consistency. I have Aj's that fly as stable as any Destroyer ever, and a couple of easy to turn McBeth ones. It's all just guessing and hoping when you order online.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakamkram View Post
Is the name in the same orientation on each disc? We could probably look at a few of these and figure out for sure if it was added later, right?
Never thought about that. I don't own any and have only observed about 10 in person, but did not think to compare two of the same mold.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 PM

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 36
Niced 12 Times in 3 Posts

Quick question for some of you Destroyer historians. Just picked up a pre AJ star destroyer tonight along with a couple real nice 3 lines. The pre AJ is marked FSDS. What would that indicate? It is a star per the stamp on front.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
Quick question for some of you Destroyer historians. Just picked up a pre AJ star destroyer tonight along with a couple real nice 3 lines. The pre AJ is marked FSDS. What would that indicate? It is a star per the stamp on front.
pictures please.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 138 Times in 93 Posts

I still don't understand why it's thought that you need to produce a new mold to have the embossed mold name there. You just machine the wording into the existing mold. Generic fonts like that are standard work on CNC milling centers.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 171
Niced 659 Times in 305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
Probably marked ESDS so it is an Echo Star Destroyer but could be a really nice Pre-Avery Echo Stock stamp and if so you got a great destroyer.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 AM

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 36
Niced 12 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Probably marked ESDS so it is an Echo Star Destroyer but could be a really nice Pre-Avery Echo Stock stamp and if so you got a great destroyer.
That's what I thought at first. But it is stamped star on the front. Haven't thrown it yet probably won't get a chance until Wednesday. It is quite abut stiffer than any echo I've ever handled but I've only been around the game for two years this month.